Search for content in message boards

Any hopes on getting money back on a download???

Any hopes on getting money back on a download???

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I purchased FTM 2012 last night, via download. It won't open ANY of my family files from FTM 16. I created backups for the files. I made sure that Windows 7 has all the latest updates. I made sure that FTM 2012 has all the latest updates and patches. I'm done. This program is useless to me if I can't open up my files, and I do not feel like jumping through hoops reconfiguring every little thing to make this program work. It should work coming right out of the gate, should it not? Has anyone tried to get their credit card reversed after an unsuccessful download? If not, I guess this is a lesson learned. I'm seriously considering looking at other genealogy software for the first time in years, as this is the first and only program I've ever used. Meanwhile, I guess I stick with my 16.

Saddened...:(

Re: Any hopes on getting money back on a download???

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 5:52PM GMT
I forgot to mention that when I do try to open up a family file that the program shuts down. I get a message that says FTM 2012 has stopped working, and the only way to continue is to hit the button that shuts it down. Not very productive when you can't even use it.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 6:37PM GMT
This is perhaps a stupid question.

Did you use File Import or File Open?

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 12:29AM GMT
I second Tulrose's question. Can you tell us exactly what you did, step for step?

I've never used FTM16, and I'm at work now so I'm going from memory. But just a couple of days ago I moved everything over from WinXP to Win7 and found the importation process a bit confusing. Essentially, I had to create a new tree, specify import from file (hence Tulrose's question), then browse to my backup file. (It didn't help in my case that FTM12 under XP created files with an .FTMB file extension which FTM12 under W7 refused to recognize; I eventually had to manually rename the backup files to .FBK.)

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:45AM GMT
I actually tried both, and get the same message.

I open the program. I get the "Getting Started" page. I click on "Import from an existing file." I click "Browse." I click on my family file. I click "Open." I get a message that says "This file was created with an older version of Family Tree Maker. This file must be converted to the new 2012 format. For larger files, this conversion may take several minutes....." I've already created a backup of said file so I click on "Ok."

A small oblong window comes up saying "Updating file." Then another window appears behind it which always says, "Family Tree Maker 2012 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop work correctly. Windows will close the programs and notify you if a solution is available." This is no choice to but to click on "Close program," at which point the program shuts down.

I have rebooted. I have tried going to "File" and clicking on both "Open" and "Import as New Tree..." All with the same results.

I just wanted something to work for once...you know?...without having to jump through hoops to get it to work the way it should.

Diane

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 4:06AM GMT
Okay, think I solved my own problem...I went into 16, backed up (again, never can be too sure...), compacted the file! And now it appears to be transferring into 2012. This is something that FTM probably needs to mention in the start-up screen? Unless I'm that blind and did not see... I'm not computer-stupid, usually ;), but there are plenty of novices out there who don't some of the ins and outs of computer and their lovely little programs. Thanks to those who replied. Hopefully I'm on my way now...

Di

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 4:15AM GMT
FTM 2012 will not open backup files .FBC created by FTM 16 or earlier back to version 5

You should use the .FTW files which FTM 2012 will open correctly.

The procedure is adequately covered in the FTM knowledge base

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2647/kw/.ftw...

John D

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:02PM GMT
As I'd stated, I've already resolved this issue. :) I created a backup in case 2012 screwed up my original file so I at least had hopes of recovering it in 16. I did not use the backup file in 2012. I was trying to open the .FTW file in 2012. It wasn't until I compacted said file that it allowed me to open it. Just wanting to clarify this for anyone who may have had similar issues in 2012.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic