Search for content in message boards

Extracting and merging a specific record from other member tree

Extracting and merging a specific record from other member tree

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM 2012.

Help need working through FTM on Ancestry.com.

I follow leaves with hints, in this case other member tree that I already have collected most of data on. But, I discover a Town Directory for 1961 that includes half dozen people in my tree. I want to only include the Town Directory in my tree and do not want to pull in the whole tree.

In FTM right panel is a lot of data for merging, from the original member tree, some I can edit or delete, most that does not have such option. I wish I could edit or delete any of those lines! But can't. Also, the citation when I get to merge will show the tree, and not the Town Directory.

Problem: How can I simply focus only on the Town Record, or some other specific record, and continue to merging that data into my FTM file. I do not want to back out of the tree and research the data. It takes a long time and often I can't locate some of those people on the Town Directory. I know some workarounds such as search for a person and steer search to Town Directory. But, some people in the directory won't come up on a search for some reason. And it is incredibly laborious and time consuming.

Re: Extracting and merging a specific record from other member tree

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:38PM GMT
You definitely do NOT want to merge the tree, or any part of it, into yours.

There is always a way to find the original record in the original database. Be sure to notice how the name is spelled in the record when you do a search. You can either do a search from the search page and then "drill down" through the areas on the left (ie census, birth, military, etc.) or drill down in a browser and, once the record is found, copy and paste the url to your WebSearch workspace.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:16PM GMT
Yes, I know I can drill down. But I wonder if there is something easy in the basic functionality of acom I am missing. Something one can click and get to the item.

I did drill down, copy the page back into FTM. But, it does not show the page so I can save it to documents. All I get is the searched URL as a citation.

I'd really like to use these two products, FTM and ACOM, both coming from ancestry easily and logically.

Really stumped.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 10:49PM GMT
Is the 1961 directory an ACOM record, or was it something the other tree owner found elsewhere?

If it's an ACOM record, I would think you could click the citation and get to that record. I do this with the Drouin records saved to others' trees that I want to access. It usually takes me to the image for the record, then I click the "return to record" button on the image page to get the mergeable info to switch from the tree to the indexed info for the record, if that makes sense.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:04AM GMT
Yes! That is a big help.

Here is the record I want to work. Cecil is my father. I pulled the other relevant Stevens into my FTM file with ease.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=usdirectories&...
Here is the file I am looking at on page with my father, Cecil. Easy to merge him and others on this page. But, when I click to next page, the index under the image is incorrect. Is it me or problem with the index file?

I want to be able to merge my grandmother Florine and others on image 295. A list of names does not show on the record page either.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:37AM GMT
The issue is with how the index was created for the Beta City Directory database.

The index was created using OCR (optical character recognition) - a computer program, rather than a human-created index.

Items are missing, because the OCR scanner did not recognize the names correctly.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:09AM GMT
Here is what I would do:

Search Catalog > Title > U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 (Beta)

Click on the link to that database

Enter each name as you have it.
Enter Bath, Maine as "lived in"

Copy the url to your FTM websearch page or are you merging into an ancestry tree?

Merge into that person in FTM.

Repeat the search for another name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions