Search for content in message boards

Photos and FTM 2012

Photos and FTM 2012

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I purchased FTM 2012 back when it first came out but because of all of the initial problems with the program I chose to not load it at that time. Hopefully the majority of the problems have been resolved by now. I've purchased a new laptop and I'm feeling brave so it's time to load 2012.
I have done a ton of work on my tree on Ancestry including lots of photos and notes.
I have a couple of questions before I start, first if I load 2012 will it sync from Ancestry to FTM meaning will it download the info on Ancestry to the program rather than the other way around.
Second will it download the photos that I have uploaded to Ancestry or do I have to load the photos onto the laptop and store them in my pictures for it to make the connection. Thanks in advance Mike H

Re: Photos and FTM 2012

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:32PM GMT
Mike,
I have FTM and each time I add to my ancestry.com tree, I then at some point need to open FTM and tell it to sync up. If you open FTM first, it checks to see if the tree needs to be sync'd up with ancestry.com. Also if you have added a completely new tree to ancestry.com it can be linked to FTM easily.

Not sure if I answered everything you wanted, but all photos, documents, everything in one tree on ancestry.com will sync to the FTM tree.

Changes can be made to either the FTM tree or ancestry.com and then sync them together and the changes will appear in the other one.
Andi

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 9:09PM GMT
If I'm reading you correctly and I load FTM 2012 on the new computer AND it works properly, then I can expect it to sync all of the information currently posted on Ancestry to the FTM file on the computer. Yes?

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:10AM GMT
yes, it should. It needs to be done manually....it isn't automatic, but yes, it should all sync very nicely together. :-) I really like that aspect of FTM.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:49AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2013 2:12AM GMT
Mike,
If Ancestry.com is your main tree, then you should make your changes there. Don't try to make some changes in FTM and some in Ancestry. The sync process is still a bit fragile and many people have experienced confusion or failures or errors if you try to push it too hard. Don't let it do automatic syncing. Make sure you set it to manual sync so you can control when to do it.
If you want to make changes in FTM for something only it can do, sync your file with Ancestry.com, then make your changes in FTM, then re-sync before making more changes in Ancestry.com. That will give the cleanest results.
When you start a sync, you have the option to stop and get a report of the changes before it goes ahead and syncs (you have to be watching to catch it or it will go ahead anyway within a minute).
I highly recommend reviewing that file carefully and saving that report to a file or PDF. That way, you have a tracking of what was done and it can help if errors occur.
If you have or can make a small test tree, you might use that one to experiment with first before putting your "good" tree through the paces. That will give you time to get more used to the program and help avoid problems.
To answer your first question: yes it will download your photos from Ancestry.com if you choose that option. It will also download other images, such as census records, which is a nice feature :)
Barbara

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 1:49AM GMT
After you install the software and open it, you will need to tell it to download/link your ancestry tree to create a file in FTM. It will download your tree in it's entirety, including all media.

The software can be set to sync manually (you tell it when) or to sync automatically (every time you open/close the program).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions