Search for content in message boards

McRae info for researchers

McRae info for researchers

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 10:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
In 1977 Norma L. Paradis published a record of McRae genealogy,
"The Clan McRae" A Canadian Ceilidh, Morriss Printing Co.,Victoria, B.C. Copies were sent out to families who contributed to the book.
I have a copy because my husband's family included McRaes, McDonnells and MacLachlans. The information is may contain errors or omissions, but I will be glad to share it. It includes a brief history of the clan in Scotland and the the history of the Highland families of Scotland who settled the Mohawk Valley in 1773 and during the American Revolution, moved to Canada. The family trees include Farquhar McRae, Flora MacDonnell who married John J. McRae, and many others. If you can be specific with the dates I will happily try to
find your ancestors,
Ellie McGrath

Re: McRae info for researchers

Donald Chisholm (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2003 11:02AM GMT
I am looking for my ancestor Isabella MacRae b.1799 d. 1897 who married Alexander Chisholm at St. Raphaels, Ont.in 1823. I have their decendants but not her antecendants.

I would be most grateful to find this info.

Regards

Donald

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2003 12:09AM GMT
Perhaps you can confirm my information: Farquhar McRae m. Catherine McDonald (daughter of Angus Ban) probably in Scotland. Their sons were Duncan, Donald & Christopher and John. John "Curly John the Banker" m. Mary McDonell and together they had a daughter named Catherine. She m. John McDonald in 1838 and their daughter, Catherine is my g-grandmother. Perhaps you have other data you can add to my records. Many thanks.

Any chance of getting a copy of your book?

Archie MacGillivray (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2003 4:25PM GMT
Lookig for Malcolm MacRae married to Catherine Fraser.
They were the parents of R.F.MacRae married to Nora Bethune
{my great grandparents}lived in East Hawkesbury,Ontario.
My Grandfather was Norman Bethune MacRae married to MaryJane MacMillan, lived in Lochiel twp. Glengarry County, Ontario.

Thanks, Archie

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 7:21PM GMT
I regret that this book's genealogy lines begin with John Joseph McRae b.1835 d.1893, m. 1862 Flora Anne MacDonell .
A brief overview of his ancestors would start with his father "Curly John the Banker" McRae. However my own research and the anecdotes in the book are clear that there are several McRae-Chisholm marriages. The only Chisholm genealogy included is that of Catherine Mary McRae,
dau. of John J above. b. 1869 d. 1969 m. Ranald Alex Chisholm 1895.
Their children were Janet Teresa, Elizabeth (Lila), Cecelia Mary, Marguerite, Raymond, and Roderick d. 1948.
If I locate any other Chisholm connections, I will post them.
E. McGrath

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 7:48PM GMT
My information is different, but it is done as an ascendancy chart to Black Allick of Knoydart. Catherine MacDonald, dau. of Angus ban did marry Farquhar McRae, but the names you list as his children seem to be listed here as siblings, parents listed as Christopher MacDonald & Margaret ?. Curly John married Anne MacDonald (of the MacDonalds of the Glen) , your ggrandmother was their 2nd child, no dates for her are listed, but her children were Duncan, John, Donald, Joseph, Mary, Anne, Catherine and Roderick. The family moved from Glengarry to Idaho. In 1977 living members of the family were known to be in California, LA area. They are listed as Mary Carruthers, children William, Oatricia and Neil. Anne Lomell, had children but there is no record othem here. Catherine McPherson had a daughter Bonnie.
I am the keeper of this book for my family, I do not have another copy
which is why I listed the publication data in my original message.
Good luck, E. McGrath

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 2:17AM GMT
Sorry, I forgot to include dates on previous message.I don't have dated for my gr. gr. grandparent{Malcolm MacRae/Catherine Fraser}, but I do have for my gr. Grandfather{R.F.Macrae{b.1835}{d.15/05/1924}-His wife Nora Bethune{b.1841}{d.15/10/1923}.They were married in 1864.
My Grandfather Norman Bethune MacRae{b.23/01/1873}{d.1955}.
Married 5/11/1902.
Regards-Archie

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2003 3:20AM GMT
My information differs quite a bit from yours, I may be on the wrong track & hope I can clear this up. I have Farquhar McRae m. to Catherine MacDonald, their children John "Curly John the Banker", Donald, Duncan & Christopher. John "Curly John" married Nancy MacDonell & their children are Catherine, Isabel (Isabel John), John Joseph & Duncan. John 's daugher, Catherine m. John MacDonald and they lived @4-24 Lancaster. Catherine died in 1851. Also, can you tell me about "Black Allick of Knoydart" & his connection to Angus Ban? Many thanks.

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 5:16PM GMT
Dear Mr. MacGillivray,
No sign of your names in my book, but this book is following mainly Catholic lines around St. Raphael's. There was a Rev. John Bethune who was the first Presbyterian minister in Upper Canada, who is mentioned in the book "Stormont. Dundas and Glengarry" by John Harkness. The book is listed as a history of these counties from 1784-1945. If this is one of your Bethune ancestors, I can send you a tiny picture (engraving?) of him. There are several books besides the one I have that are also histories of the Clan McRae. I will post the titles and relevant information when I retrieve them.
Ellie McGrath

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 11:07PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the Rev John Bethune, as he baptized some of my ancestors. I would appreciate a picture of himm and the names of the books you referred to.
Thanks
Archie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic