Search for content in message boards

HAUBENSACK/HOBENSACK

HAUBENSACK/HOBENSACK

Betsy Jones (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HAUBENSACK, HOBENSACK
Daniel HAUBENSACK arrived in Philli August 31,1750. Where did he go? His son John HAUBENSACK is listed in the Montgomery Co. census of 1790. Two generations later the family is in Bucks Co. and the name is HOBENSACK. I'd like to link the two names with more than family lore. Can you help?

Re: HAUBENSACK/HOBENSACK

Dick Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 8:01PM GMT
I'm not sure if I have contacted you in the past, but I am interested in sharing Hobensack information with you. I have many Ohio Hobensacks documented starting with my grandmother who was a Hobensack. Please contact me.

Posted: 13 Aug 2004 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Hobensack/Haubensack/Fetter
I am looking for the parents of Isaac Hobensack, b @ 1796, m. Emily Fetter, B. 1796. Married 11/15/1821

Isaac's parents emigrated in 1773, settled in Montgomery Co. Pa and apparently erected a "large distillery" and carried on an "extensive business."
Emily and Isaac issue:
Rachael m James Hart
Isaac Cornell Hobensack
John Hobensack m. Hannah ???
Margaret b: 7/7/1826 d: 3/10/1912 m Wm Long Craven

John b: Sept. 16, 1833 is the brother of my direct descendant: Isaac Cornell Hobensack. I have not been able to trace back further than Isaac and Emily Hobensack.

Posted: 5 Jan 2005 9:31PM GMT
Also looking for Haubensack/Hobensack.
Line:
Isaac Hobensack m Emily Fetter
Isaac Cornell Hobensack m Joanna Hoagland
Wm Hobensack m Mary Stout
Isaac Cornell Hobensack m Susanna Canby Walker (father Comly Walker, grandfather Samuel Carey Walker, GGrandfather Benjamin Walker, G3grandfather Joseph Walker (1691-1759)
Wm Hobensack: 1927 to present (author's father)

Isaac and Emily had a son, John Hobensack who became the Sheriff in Marysville Ohio. (Union County)
Isaac's parents, (unknown names) emmigrated in 1773, settled in Montgomery County before moving to Bucks. He was an officer in the revolutionsary war. Apparently he built a "large distillery and carried on an extensive business to the close of his life. Isaac and Emily were both natives of Montgomery County, Pa, moved to Bucks County where Emily died in 1876.

I've found one Daniel Haubensack, who emigrated in 1755 to the Port in Philadelphia.
Also found:
Johannes Haubensack married Marie Wilke at St. Michael Zion Luthern Church on March 8, 1787
and
Rosina Haubensack married Peter Williams on June 26, 1788, same church.

One other brother, Morris Hobensack, went "west" from Pa to Wyoming. Looking for all information on Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wyoming Hobensack/Haubensacks.

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 9:03PM GMT
Surnames: Hobensack
Most believe our first known immigrant ancestor is John Hobensack, who was born in Germany, and immigrated to America in 1772/73. According to census records, John or more properly, Johann, would have been born between 1750-1759. Judging by his enlistment and advancements during the Revolution a few years later, John is estimated between 16-21 years of age when he arrived in America. He may have been from Gönningen/Württemberg, but there is presently no information to confirm this belief. His port of departure from Europe is not known; although his ship most likely made a port in England before continuing across the Atlantic to the American colonies where it would have entered the Delaware Bay to reach the Port of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The actual port of entry is not yet known. It is documented that John did settle in Willow Grove near Upper Moreland, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania; however, this was probably not his first home in America.

About 1776, a young John Hobensack [Haubensack] enlisted for service in the Revolutionary War at the Hatsboro Post Office in Moreland township—early Philiadelphia, now Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. During a period when life spans were long if one reached age 35, John, amazingly, managed to survive his 5 years of military service. Probably before his enlistment, John became acquainted with American born, Casper “John” Fetter, who was also of German descent living in Moreland township, and most probably already a good friend. Hobensack’s date of birth and birthplace are presently unknown. Fetter was born 12 September 1760 in Moreland, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. It is assumed these two men were near the same age. Refer to the Fetter Lineage for more information.

During the American Revolution, John Hobensack and John Fetter were quickly elevated to officers. A strong bond grew between them during their years of service and continued throughout their lifetimes. Hobensack’s date and place of death are presently unknown. Fetter died on 8 February 1829 in Moreland, [previously Philadelphia] Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Will Book T, page 69, will dated 23 March 1783: John Hobensack was a witness to the will of Mosses Peters, yeoman, of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Wife, Ruth nee? Stepsons: Daniel, Lemuel and Elijah Evans. Children: Mosses, Leah Eyres, Martha Kepler, Garret and Abijah. Executors: Ruth Peters and Leonard Shallcross. Proven 22 September 1784.

By estimating the birth dates of children from census records, it is believed John Hobensack married Hannah nee? during the late 1780s or early 1790s. John is remembered in history for being a promoter and developer of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Known children born to John and Hannah were:
• Samuel Hobensack, born about 1790 in probably Moreland township. He later married Sydney nee? They are found in the records of Upper Moreland, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
• Joseph Hobensack, born about 1796 in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven. Listed in the 1860 census for Bristol, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Ann nee?, and their two daughters.
• Issac Hobensack, born 21 April 1798. On 15 November 1821, he married Emily Fetter, the daughter of his father’s good friend, John Fetter and his wife, Rachel Campbell, of Moreland township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. John and Emily are later found in records of Southampton, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
• John Hobensack, born about 1801 in probably Moreland township. He is listed in the 1860 census for Whitpain, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Mary Ann nee?, and their two children Lottie Hobensack and Henry Hobensack.
• George Hobensack, born unknown in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven or universally accepted.
• Wilkin[s] Hobensack, born about 1808 in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven or universally accepted. Listed in the 1860 census for Upper Dublin, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Anna nee? [The name Wilkin[s] is most probably a family surname derived from Wilkins or more probably Wilkinson, and is repeated in the family line: John Wilkins Hobensack, born 15 February 1869.]
Unconfirmed “sons” have been attached to John Hobensack, since he is the first and only known Hobensack in the area. John erected a large distillery, most probably for whisky, which was an extensive part of his business in Montgomery County to the end of his life.

On 15 November 1821, Isaac Hobensack and Emily Fetter were married in the First Reformed Dutch Protestant Church in Philadephia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Both were natives of Moreland and Willow Grove in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Before the 1830s, the Hobensack’s moved their family to Warminster township, and later to Southampton township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Known children born to this union were:
• Margaret Hobensack, birth date and place unknown. On 2 November 1848, she married William L. Craven.
• William Hobensack, birth date and place unknown. No other information.
• Rachel F[etter] Hobensack, born 24 October 1824 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. On 2 November 1848, she married Major James Horner Hart. Rachel was named for her maternal grandmother, Rachel [nee Campbell] Fetter.
• Isaac Cornell Hobensack, called Samuell in many references, was born about 1828 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. About 1854, he married Johannah "Joanna" Hogeland in Bucks County. After his marriage, Cornell rented a tract of land until his crop returns at the Philadelphia market gave him enough money to purchase his own land in Southampton. Isaac was a Republican and served as county commissioner one term, 1884-1886, and served in other minor political postions while carrying on his occupation as a successful farmer. Some of their children became prominent in Ivyland historyt.
• Elizabeth S. Hobensack, born 23 Septeber 1829 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. She married Elias Hogeland, a brother of Joanna.
• John C[ornell?] Hobensack, born 16 September 1833 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. About 1854, he married his first wife, Margaret Krewson, in Bucks County.
• Mary Ellen Hobensack, born about 1853. Emily would have been 51 at her birth. Mary Ellen married Thomas Mabra[e]y or Mayberry.

Isaac and Emily reared their children in the Primitive Baptist faith. Many members of lineage became members of the Southampton Baptist Church in Southampton, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and are buried in the church’s cemetery. The Southampton Baptist church is the oldest in the county and the seventh oldest church in Pennsylvania.

My descendency through this line is John C. Hobensack and Margaret Krewson.

I would appreciate any information that you have to share.

Your very distant cousin,

Connie

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 9:15PM GMT
Throughout history, almost all Hobensack men are described as medium height, medium build and grey-blue eyes with light to dark brown hair.

Most believe our first known immigrant ancestor is John Hobensack [Haubensack], who was born in Germany and immigrated to America in 1772/73. According to census records, John or more properly, Johann, would have been born between 1750-1759. Judging by his enlistment and advancements during the Revolution a few years later, John is estimated between 16-21 years of age when he arrived in America. He may have been from Gönningen/Württemberg, as were later arrivals of Hobensack/Haubensack’s, but there is presently no information to confirm this belief. His port of departure from Europe is not known; although his ship most likely made a port in England before continuing across the Atlantic to the American colonies where it would have entered the Delaware Bay to reach the Port of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The actual port of entry is not yet known. It is documented that John did settle in Willow Grove near Upper Moreland, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania; however, this was probably not his first home in America.

About 1776, a young John Hobensack [Haubensack] enlisted for service in the Revolutionary War at the Hatsboro Post Office in Moreland township—early Philiadelphia, now Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. During a period when life spans were long if one reached age 35, John, amazingly, managed to survive his 5 years of military service. Probably before his enlistment, John became acquainted with American born, Casper “John” Fetter, who was also of German descent living in Moreland township, and most probably already a good friend. Hobensack’s date of birth and birthplace are presently unknown. Fetter was born 12 September 1760 in Moreland, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. It is assumed these two men were near the same age.

During the American Revolution, John Hobensack and John Fetter were quickly elevated to officers. A strong bond grew between them during their years of service and continued throughout their lifetimes. Hobensack’s date and place of death are presently unknown. Fetter died on 8 February 1829 in Moreland, [previously Philadelphia] Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Will Book T, page 69, will dated 23 March 1783: John Hobensack was a witness to the will of Mosses Peters, yeoman, of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Wife, Ruth nee? Stepsons: Daniel, Lemuel and Elijah Evans. Children: Mosses, Leah Eyres, Martha Kepler, Garret and Abijah. Executors: Ruth Peters and Leonard Shallcross. Proven 22 September 1784.

By estimating the birth dates of children from census records, it is believed John Hobensack married Hannah nee? during the late 1780s or early 1790s. John is remembered in history for being a promoter and developer of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Known children born to John and Hannah were:
• Samuel Hobensack, born about 1790 in probably Moreland township. He later married Sydney nee? They are found in the records of Upper Moreland, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
• Joseph Hobensack, born about 1796 in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven. Listed in the 1860 census for Bristol, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Ann nee?, and their two daughters.
• Issac Hobensack, born 21 April 1798. On 15 November 1821, he married Emily Fetter, the daughter of his father’s good friend, John Fetter and his wife, Rachel Campbell, of Moreland township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. John and Emily are later found in records of Southampton, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
• John Hobensack, born about 1801 in probably Moreland township. He is listed in the 1860 census for Whitpain, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Mary Ann nee?, and their two children Lottie Hobensack and Henry Hobensack.
• George Hobensack, born unknown in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven or universally accepted.
• Wilkin[s] Hobensack, born about 1808 in probably Moreland township. Relationship as a son is not proven or universally accepted. Listed in the 1860 census for Upper Dublin, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Anna nee? [The name Wilkin[s] is most probably a family surname derived from Wilkins or more probably Wilkinson, and is repeated in the family line: John Wilkins Hobensack, born 15 February 1869.]
Unconfirmed “sons” have been attached to John Hobensack, since he is the first and only known Hobensack in the area. John erected a large distillery, most probably for whisky, which was an extensive part of his business in Montgomery County to the end of his life.

On 15 November 1821, Isaac Hobensack and Emily Fetter were married in the First Reformed Dutch Protestant Church in Philadephia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Both were natives of Moreland and Willow Grove in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Before the 1830s, the Hobensack’s moved their family to Warminster township, and later to Southampton township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Known children born to this union were:
• Margaret Hobensack, birth date and place unknown. On 2 November 1848, she married William L. Craven.
• William Hobensack, birth date and place unknown. No other information.
• Rachel F[etter] Hobensack, born 24 October 1824 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. On 2 November 1848, she married Major James Horner Hart. Rachel was named for her maternal grandmother, Rachel [nee Campbell] Fetter.
• Isaac Cornell Hobensack, called Samuell in many references, was born about 1828 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. About 1854, he married Johannah "Joanna" Hogeland in Bucks County. After his marriage, Cornell rented a tract of land until his crop returns at the Philadelphia market gave him enough money to purchase his own land in Southampton. Isaac was a Republican and served as county commissioner one term, 1884-1886, and served in other minor political postions while carrying on his occupation as a successful farmer. Some of their children became prominent in Ivyland historyt.
• Elizabeth S. Hobensack, born 23 Septeber 1829 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. She married Elias Hogeland, a brother of Joanna.
• John C[ornell?] Hobensack, born 16 September 1833 in probably Warminster, Bucks County. About 1854, he married his first wife, Margaret Krewson, in Bucks County.
• Mary Ellen Hobensack, born about 1853. Emily would have been 51 at her birth. Mary Ellen married Thomas Mabra[e]y or Mayberry.

Isaac and Emily reared their children in the Primitive Baptist faith. Many members of lineage became members of the Southampton Baptist Church in Southampton, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and are buried in the church’s cemetery. The Southampton Baptist church is the oldest in the county and the seventh oldest church in Pennsylvania.

On 10 Mary 1823, John Hobensack and Isaac Hobensack were witnesses to an Articles of Agreement drawn between Joshua Tyson, Jonathan Lukens and Ann, his wife, and Martha Tyson, all of Abington township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania…aforesaid called the Hop Yard Farm, bounded by the lands of Samuel Yardley, Robert Huggin, Samuel Baldwin, Joseph Rankin, Joseph Chambers, Ely Thompson and others…. (Contributed by the Tyson and Fitzwater families)

In the 1830 Federal Population census for Moreland township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Hannah Hobensack, between the age of 50-59, is listed as the head of household. Also listed in the household: one female under 5; one female between 30-39 [probably Sydney nee?; wife of Samuel Hobensack]; one male 5-9; two males 10-14; one male 40-49 [probably eldest son, 40 year old Samuel Hobensack]; one male 70-79 [most probably an infirmed John Hobensack]. Neighbors listed on the census: David Yerkes, John Dubois, William McClennan, Elizabeth Marshall, Jesse Wright, [next door to the Hobensacks] Derrick Hogeland, John Robertson, William Jeans; William, Joseph and Anthony Yerkes; ….

I descend through Isaac and Emily's son John C. Hobensack and Margaret Krewson.

If you have other information to share on the family, I would like to hear from you.

Your very distant cousin,

Connie

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2005 1:00PM GMT
I am anxious to see the information you have connecting John Haubensack/Hobensack (1790 Census Montgomery County) to Daniel Haubensack. Would you be willing to share this information?
Thanks

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2005 1:30PM GMT

Dick Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2005 11:38PM GMT
I was very excited to read your information about the Hobensacks prior to 1800. I have post 1800 Hobensack research which I will share. I am des,,cended from Issac and Emily, as well, through John>Henry>Marie (Hamilton), my grandmother. I use Family Tree Maker and try to footnote my sources - when I remember.

Let me know how we can help each other. I live in Madison County, Ohio.

Barbara Hobensack Stebulis (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2005 6:19PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions