Search for content in message boards

John Jellings

John Jellings

laura (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Jellings
John Jellings died at the home of his son, Charles, at Poynette Tuesday night, August 1, 1916. He was a veteran of the Civil War and for many years he was promienent in G. A. R. circles in Portage and about Columbia county. He was 88 years old and formerly made his home at the Emder House. Charles Jellings was the son of Mr. jellings, is secreatery of Wisconsin Thresher's association.

Jellings

Posted: 12 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2006 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Jellings, Jillings
I am the G-granddaughter of the John Jellings mentioned in the above obituary.

He was born in England and came to the US about 1848 settling in Indiana first then appearing in Marquette Co. around 1861 and Columbia Co. around 1875.

I can find very little information about John Jellings and have always wondered if perhaps the spelling of his name was changed when he came to the US?

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

John Jellings

laura (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
I Have seen the name spelled Jillings if this helps any I do not have a lot of information on the Jellings and would have to look up what I have on this Columbia County family at a later date.

John Jellings

Laura (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
I kknow it has been a long time but please refresh my memory what do you need to know mabey I can help some.

John Jellings

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2006 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Jellings, Westlake, Cutsforth, Robson
I have very little information on the John Jellings that you mention in the obituary.

Do you have any more information on him? The other names I have posted are the surnames of his wives.

He died in Columbia Co., but previously lived in Marquette Co. Before that he was in LaGrange Co., IN.

That's about all I know about him except that he was born in 1828 somewhere in England.

Re: John Jellings

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 6:11AM GMT
Surnames: Jillings, Appleby
I'm trying to find Jillings... and the census in England misspelled it to Jellings and Gellings...
Have you found a connection to Jillings? My gggrandmother was Elizabeth Jillings, married to Thomas Henry Appleby and moved to Texas. I live in Wisconsin.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:00PM GMT
I have no record of an Elizabeth Jillings in my family line. I have found the surname spelled several ways: Jellings, Jillings, Gellings and Gillings.

John Jellings has been my brick wall for years. I can't seem to find proof of his parents or even his exact place of birth.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 5:19AM GMT
Greetings.
I believe someone emailed that Jellings is a mistake on the census in England. Certainly, I've run into plenty of typos in other lines I'm following.
Jillings is the way my ggrandmother spelled her name...

I'm curious about your John Jellings. Where is he from and when?
N

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 12:57AM GMT
I have very little information on him. He was born in England (I am not sure where) Sept. 2, 1828 and came to the US about 1848 settling in Indiana first then appearing in Marquette Co. around 1861 and Columbia Co. around 1875.

He married Elizabeth Westlake in Marquette Co. Wisconsin on April 1, 1861. They had two sons, Charles Henry (1862)and William Sumner (1868). He died in Poynette, Wisconsin on Aug. 1, 1916.

His parents were listed as James and Mary Jillings on his marriage record.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:06AM GMT
These are interesting facts.

Eliz Jillings is a great grandmother who came in about 1884 to Texas. I may have the year a little off.
It would be interesting if they were related.

I'm in Wisconsin. Tonight the windchill is supposed to be
-35 F. That doesn't last long, and lets us use some of our winter clothing, I guess.
N
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions