Search for content in message boards

REDS William CASSIDY, shot by LEGS DIAMOND

REDS William CASSIDY, shot by LEGS DIAMOND

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2005 6:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for information on the CASSIDY family of New York - two brothers were shot by Jack LEGS Diamond - one was killed

Re: REDS William CASSIDY, shot by LEGS DIAMOND

Posted: 28 Apr 2005 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2005 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy, Bogert
My Dad, Jim Bogert, told me family stories that his mother, Margaret Cassidy Bogert, told him. Her mother (my Dad's grandmother) was Bridget Cassidy. Bridget adopted a nephew named Willie Red Cassidy. Willie's father was a policeman who found his wife in bed with another man, shooting and killing both. Willie's father was sent to electric chair. Willie was a bootlegger in the the 1920's selling beer and whiskey. He was supposedly killed by Jack Legs Diamond in a nightclub, around 1926-27. Family lore had it that Bridget Cassidy inherited a brownstone and a brewery after Willie was killed. I've searched census records and found Bridget Cassidy living at 458 W. 25th St in Manhattan in 1930.

Maggie Bogert Hall (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2005 12:27PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy, Bogert
From newspaper 13 July 1929
TWO MEN DEAD AFTER BATTLE IN NIGHT CLUB Third Man Wounded in Mystery Gun Fight in Hotsy Totsy A sudden and unexplained gun battle in the Hotsy Totsy Club, on Broadway, near Fifty-fourth street, early today cost the lives of two men identified as William CASSIDY and Simon WALKER. A third was injured. Plice, already burdened with the mystery of the ROTHSTEIN and MARLOW murders, were still wresting with this one at noon. The Hotsy Totsy Club is on the second floor of 1721 Broadway. Hearing pistol reports, police hurried into the place shortly before 4 A.M., to find one body with two bullets in the head and another in the back, lying on the floor of the bar room In the pockets of Walker was a loaded revolver. In the same room was another gun, carrying three empty shells. Three bullet holes were located in the Mahogany bar. There were several others in the men's room, and liberal bloodstains. A half hour later an automobile drove up to the French Hospital, 324 West Thirtieth street, Manhattan. Three men emerged, assisting a fourth, who was badly wounded, into the reception ward. They left without revealing either the patient's identity or their own. But the victim was later identified as William CASSIDY, 36, of 458 Tenth avenue, and police said they had information he came from the night club. As in the case of WALKER, CASSIDY was shot twice in the head and once in the back. He died at 5:15 o'clock. Another victim is being questioned at the club by Deputy Chief Inspector Edward O. MULROONEY and Captain Louis A. DITTMAN, of the West Forty-seventh street precinct. He is said to be CASSIDY's brother.

I found this at www.bklyn-geneology-info.com. Does this fit your infomation? My Dad thought Willie was killed around 1927. I know he was killed before 1930 census. Age 36 isn't exact, my research leads me to believe Willie Cassidy was born around 1900. Maybe he padded his age to be more believable as bootlegger?

Posted: 14 Aug 2005 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
The shooting occured on July 13th 1929 in the Hotsy Totsy Club, William Cassidy died the other brother was Pete.

They were my mothers uncles her name was Mae cassidy she died Feb. 2004.

Posted: 20 Aug 2005 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy
We have found William in the 1920 and 1910 census with Bridget, and NY TIMES newspaper accounts which have him as 36 at time of death- was he really that old? who were Williams parents, was he a grandson to Bridget as census states? did he own the house where Bridget lived? what happened to his wife and daughter? also found marriage information for Bridget but can't find her parents. any information would be helpful. thanks in advance.
Linda

Posted: 8 Jan 2009 12:49AM GMT
Hi Linda,

I don't know if you are still interested but Red was 28 when he was killed at the Hotsy-Totsy, which would make him born in 1900 if his birthday was after July. Hope this helps.

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 10:57PM GMT
Hi- I am a grandniece of Willie "Red" Cassidy- he was my maternal grandmother Tess' nephew. We know he was only 26 YO when killed at the Hotsy Totsy. Bridget's parents were James Cassidy and Catherine Lahiff- got those records from County Clare, Ireland. We want to know more about the Cassidy's in US, UK and IRE -so do get in touch so we can share info. Thx

Legend has it that Tess herself caught up with Diamond to even that score. Knowing my Nana, she did it. She was CRAZY about Red and never stopped grieving his loss to her death bed, July 1974.

Posted: 22 Nov 2010 3:43AM GMT
Red Cassidy was my great uncle. He was the brother of my Nana (grandmother), her name was Carrie (Caroline). Tessie was their sister and I believe there were 6 girls and two or 3 brothers all together. My nana married John Condon, and they had 3 children, one was my father John. She died in 1979 or 1980. Family legend is that Legs Diamond shot Red Cassidy at the Hotsy Totsy Club and that they brought Red to the French Hospital where he died. Also story that in his last moments he would not tell police who shot him. As the story goes extended family took care of Legs.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic