Search for content in message boards

96% match for 2 different generations

96% match for 2 different generations

Posted: 29 Dec 2013 11:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a few 96% matches (4th cousin) for me and for my mother. This confuses me as that covers 2 different generations. Is it possible that the match to my mother is actually closer than 4th cousins? We're trying to solve my mother's adoption mystery. If anyone has an explanation for this I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Re: 96% match for 2 different generations

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 7:12AM GMT
More likely the other way around (that is, your mother is the 4th cousin, or even more distant.)

If you received (from your mother) all of the matching segment(s) that your mother has with this other person then your matching with them is identical (from the viewpoint of just the DNA) as your mother's matching with them.

The probability distribution for segment sharing with distant cousins is quite a flat curve - which means estimating genealogical distance for these small DNA segments have to come with very large ranges.

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 1:21AM GMT
The estimates of cousin relationships are just that: ESTIMATES.

I've got third cousins that show a very close match and one third cousin where the genetics show more like an 8th cousin match. She just didn't get very much from our common great-great-grandparents. In the "luck of the draw", she simply got more from her other ancestors.

Posted: 4 Jan 2014 12:48AM GMT
Thank you very much for the replies. I still don't understand it that much. I think I should do some more research on the subject. I wish Ancestry would make it more clear.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic