Search for content in message boards

An opinion on a strand I am following..

An opinion on a strand I am following..

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Aiken, Buick, Bowick
I wanted to see if anyone would give their two cents on this line of reasoning I'm following.

I have exhausted all Census Records for my grandfather's grandparents. I can find in the 1880's Census happily married here in the USA, but I couldn't find anything else about them before hand.

I sent out for a death certificate for my great grandmother Mary Ann Aiken. I had to send out for a death register for my great grandfather John Aiken (he died in 1905 and they do not have those public yet).

On Mary's death certificate it lists her father's name as John Buick, born in Scotland. Unfortunately Mary's mother is listed as Unknown.

I tried searching for Mary Ann Buick in Scotland and got a good many results, but from their birth years and father's they do not appear to be her in the Scotland Census records or US Census Records.

I did conduct a search with Mary Ann Buick and John Aiken and I believe I pulled up their marriage record in New York City. According to the Census Records they were married in 1872.

The search brought up a marriage for John Aiken and a Mary Bowick in New York City in 1873.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ti=0&indiv=tr...

I believe these two could be who I am looking for. It appears Bowick became Buick.

Everything I can find of them has them in Western Pennsylvania from 1880-1940 (Mary lived for a while), so I am assuming they immigrated from Scotland to New York City then traveled to Western Pennsylvania. Up until getting this death certificate it has felt like they just popped out of the ground here, because I couldn't find any solid record of them before 1880.

Does anyone agree with this? Or am I really stretching it?

Re: An opinion on a strand I am following..

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 10:19PM GMT
I think the information you've found is worth pursuing. Spelling differences across records are very common so a researcher must be alert to phonetic or creative spellings of names. A person has to take into account the time period and possible educational levels available within the given period and area at the time the record was made to evaluate it as a lead to their family. I'd suggest looking, also, for probate, will, and land records, if any, to see if there are any clues in those records to confirm your findings. I'd also check for naturalization records.

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 11:01PM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2013 11:05PM GMT
The marriage records of the children of John and Mary Ann Aiken may have Mary Ann cited by her maiden name. Further, grandparents were often godparents to the first/earliest born. I suggest you mine the parish records for as many documents/records as you can find on the line. The purpose of this exercise is to build confirmation of a name, before pursuing a guess.

Where to find the parish records? Check the familysearch.org library catalog, search the area they resided in, and see what's available. Films can be ordered on-line and sent to your local FHC for viewing. The instructions of how to do this are on the familysearch.org site.

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 8:01AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2013 11:30PM GMT
You might also check out passenger ship arrivals, Ellis Island, New York, or any other port of entry your search suggests.

But . . . be cautious. My search for my grandfather's 'true' emigration resulted in finding multiple years of arrival in New York with his name. NOT 'Smith'. Always same port of departure. Same year of birth, as I recall. I just couldn't figure out which one was my grandfather. Until I finally noticed that one name, port of departure, was different than the other collection of departure dates from a single port, both of England. What was the giveaway? My grandfather was 6'2", the other gentleman was 5'11" and entered in the list of crew members. Subsequently, I was able to focus my emigration search. So, the same message applies to this as all hints.

Get excited, but use caution {chuckling}. Good luck and enjoy!

Posted: 30 Sep 2013 9:07PM GMT
To give an update, I contacted the city of New York and got a copy of their marriage certificate.

The plus side is their ages are roughly a match, but the name of Mary's father is listed as James Bowick instead of John like I was hoping.

It gives out a lot of information though on each of their parents.

The two witnesses to the marriage also signed with "SS Caledonia" underneath their signatures. What do you think this means? The marriage took place at Trinity Church in Manhattan, but is it possible this was the passenger liner?

I may try pursuing info about that boat and the two witnesses. It also seems like my next logical step should be to head to the village they settled in near here and try to see if I can't view some parish records or perhaps head to the county to try to find old Land records.

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 12:54PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2013 12:54PM GMT
I would guess that "SS Caledonia" maybe has something to do with identifying a church - I'm not conversant with saints' names, but I have (for example) seen "SS" to indicate two saints names connected with a church. Perhaps these are two nuns/priests/parish employees?

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 11:57PM GMT
>>I would guess that "SS Caledonia" maybe has something to do with identifying a church, I'm not conversant with saints' names, but I have (for example) seen "SS" to indicate two saints names connected with a church. Perhaps these are two nuns/priests/parish employees?<<

1) Trinity Church is Episcopal, no nuns or saints. You weren't kidding when you say you're not conversant.
2) SS Caledonia was an immigrant vessel. This inclusion in a marriage record of this detail most likely means they were all very recent immigrants at the time of the marriage.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions