Search for content in message boards

FTM 2006 /Windows 7 Professional

FTM 2006 /Windows 7 Professional

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have Windows 7 Professional, running in XP mode. HATE the newer versions of FTM (2010, 2011), so went back to FTM 2006, but can't get all the functions to work. YES, I've downloaded the "patch" from Ancestry. Problems still exist:

How do I get the tool bar options to work (Picture/Object; Contents; Format)?? I can "see" them but none are operational. Please advise.

I am not a techie, so it has to be explained simply. Thanks!!!

Re: FTM 2006 /Windows 7 Professional

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 10:14PM GMT
I think I would uninstall and reinstall FTM 2006

John D

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:37AM GMT
ok, John. THanks I will give it a try. This whole process is so frustrating and time consuming. I'm not fond of MS at the moment!

Marilyn

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 3:01AM GMT
Buy a Mac

John D

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:28PM GMT
John D:

I certainly may well next time, but this new computer is only a few months old and I can't afford to buy two in 6 months! Nice try though!

Marilyn

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:49PM GMT
Hi. I have the same version but slightly different problem. My tabs at the top all seem operational, but what doesn't work for me is the ability to covert a Tree Chart to Adobe and save it.

My desktop computer seems to have the same software as yours, the MS 7 Professional. But my laptop has MS 7, Home Version, and doesn't have problems with Adobe. But it doesn't have the XP component.

I'm up to the point where I'd like to start working on my family book but need to resolve the Adobe issue. I posted a while back on this issue, and the gentleman responded that I should just probably just upgrade to the Version 12, which works fine with Adobe and doesn't require the XP factor. He was working with Version 12 and had no problems.

I'm not a computer geek either, and the thought of upgrading is very intimidating.

By the way, are you still in Maine or did you migrate? I'm still in Maine.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 2:10AM GMT
The PDF package that comes with the earlier version of FTM, will NOT work under Windows Vista, Windows 7 or 8. You need to install third party PDF printer driver and use the "Print" icon instead of the "Share" icon.

When you click the print icon, the normal Print pane should open and there you would select the PDF print driver that you installed and follow the instructions of the printer driver.

There are many FREE PDF print driver programs out there. I use CutePDF a lot.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 7:40PM GMT
John: Reinstallation did not change the situation. The options under the toolbar are still not available. I HATE Windows 7! Very frustrating OS. What were they thinking.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 7:45PM GMT
I don't want to use FTM 2011 or higher. (Which I have installed on my comptuer), because a) I find FTM 2011 very frustrating to use; b) FTM 2012 data entry screens are "messy" and not simple like earlier versions, but c) mainly because of the "automatic" sourcing that Ancestry uses which is hard to override, without much manipulation. I'd far prefer to enter my own Sourcing which is accurate than to have 2ndary sources named as the primary sources. I'm a stickler for sourcing and the newer FTM versions make this VERY difficult to do. I'm very frustrated by the hours and hours (and days and weeks) I've wasted trying to fix this problem so I can get back to work.

Thank you for any suggestions as to how to get FMT 2006 to function properly! Assistance is appreciated.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 12:48PM GMT
I share your frustration. I bought a new computer in May 2010 which had 64 bit Windows 7. Very soon I found that FTM2006 was a bit crippled. So after posting a few messages here, I thought I'd try FTM2010. I migrated everything and hated it, lots of lost / different functionality. I tried FTM2012 few years later, but alas they hadn't added the missing features. In the meantime I have stayed with FTM2006. All works fine except: Export tree to PDF (one-page) and upload to my ancestry webpage. For one-page tree PDF generation, I use an older XP computer I have and copy the FTW file there. Unfortunately not even the XP computer can upload to my webpage any longer, so it is now out of date as I can only attach links. What other functionality are you missing?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions