Search for content in message boards

Sync in only one direction? Problem with online renaming Photos

Sync in only one direction? Problem with online renaming Photos

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 11:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TAYLOR, BELK, HODGE, COLE
Can you Sync in only one direction? Some programs allow you to tell the program which direction it should sync or use as priority. I discovered that after uploading/syncing the online with my FTM, then making some changes to the photo description online, it actually renames the photo too so when it syncs again with FTM it thinks it is a new photo and downloads it again! So I end up with duplicate photos with different names. If I happen to not notice it, sync it once again, it sends the original photo up again! Very Frustrating. Or perhaps there is a way to keep the photo name from changing online? That would really be the answer!

Re: Sync in only one direction? Problem with online renaming Photos

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:25AM GMT
Yes

Simply upload a tree to Ancestry but don't sync it.

That is how it worked in version 2011 and the option is also available in 2012

John D

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 10:17AM GMT
I'm also staggered that there is no option to do this (at least not on my Mac version) as I'd always prefer to work on my PC and then to move this over to Ancestry. The option simply to upload (not sync) your tree works - but every time you make a change you would have to upload the whole tree (and images?) again. Or am I wrong here.

Surely 1-way sync should be an option for future versions.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 4:09PM GMT
The only way to sync one way, is to only make changes from one place... always work in FTM and sync or always work in the AMT and sync.

You are correct that uploading from FTM without linking does not allow for keeping the two trees current. It is not a solution if your goal is to have the same data in both places.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic