Search for content in message boards

Anderson brothers and Civil War

Anderson brothers and Civil War

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 9:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Anderson
I found this information in an old book, but I don't know which Anderson brothers it is referring to.

Thomas L. Wilson (1864)
Sufferings Endured for a Free Government or, A History of the Cruelties and Atrocities of the Rebellion--"Facts stranger than Fiction"

MURDER OF THREE BROTHERS.
In the summer of 1862, three young men, brothers, by the name ef Anderson, not liking the way in which the Union men were treated in their vicinity, left their home, which was in Hawkins county, Tennessee, and attempted to make their way to the Union lines in Kentucky. They had reached Clinch river, about seventy-five miles above Knoxville, Tennessee, when they were surprised and captured by a band of Confederate cavalry, and inhumanly shot without mercy by their captors, who had been sent in pursuit of them. After killing them, they threw their bodies into the river, where, not long after, they were found, only fifteen miles from their desolate and forsaken home. The only reason assigned for this brutal murder was, that they were Union men, and were leaving the country.

The story was attributed to Colonel R. Crawford, of Tennessee, one of the Vice Presidents of the State Convention, held in Nashville in 1863.

Re: Anderson brothers and Civil War

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 12:30PM GMT
Can we place all the Anderson's who were in the Civil War and figure out where they were after the war or are missing?

I have a William Anderson, son of Ephraim Anderson.
ANDERSON, Jeff
Co. C, 63 Tennessee Inf. (Fain’s Regiment 74 Tenn. Infantry)
Whose papers,dated Jul & Aug 1863, said that he deserted April 15 at Cumberland Gap.

Pattie

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 10:17PM GMT
Publications of the Hawkins County Genealogical and Historical Society identify the following:

Union
Amos J. Anderson (27, 1863, Rogersville) L 8th TN CAV
Andrew Anderson C 8th TN INF
Andrew J. Anderson (20, 1863, Hancock b. Hawkins) E 8th TN CAV
Calvin Anderson (15, 1863, Rogersville) 1st TN LT ART
Carter H. Anderson (43, 1863, Hancock) C 8th TN CAV
George Anderson (19, 1863, Hancock b. Hawkins) C 8th TN CAV
Henry Anderson (War Gap) B 9th TN CAV
Jefferson Anderson (18, 1863, Gillenwater) H 8th TN INF
Martin Anderson K (New Canton) 13th TN CAV
Thomas Anderson (19, 1862, Blackwater b. Hawkins) A & M 1st TN CAV
Thomas Anderson (Sneedville) M 1st TN CAV
William G. Anderson C 8th TN INF

Confederate
A.J. Anderson (22, 1861) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Amos Anderson (28, 1861) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
C.M. Anderson (probably Curren M.) F 16th TN CAV
Calvin Anderson (17, 1862, Rogersville) C 63rd TN INF
D. Anderson (20, 1862) C 63rd TN INF
E.G. Anderson War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Eldridge H. Anderson (23, 1861) K 19th TN INF
Eps Anderson (25, 1861, War Gap) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Epson G. Anderson 5th CAV BN
Floyd Anderson E 43rd TN INF
George Anderson (Hawkins) K 19th TN INF
George Anderson (18, 1862) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
George W. Anderson (under 18, 1861) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Harvey H. Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Jesse Anderson (20, 1861) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Lafayette M. Anderson (23, 1861, Hancock) K 19th TN INF
Lewis Anderson K 19th TN INF
Malon Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Moses Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Moses Anderson (33, 1863, Rogersville) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Orville B. Anderson (18,1862) E 43rd TN INF
Peter M. Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Robert Anderson (19, 1863, Rogersville) C 2nd Asby's TN CAV
Samuel P. Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Thomas H. Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV
Thomas J. Anderson (20, 1862)
W. Jefferson Anderson (20, 1862, Rogersville) C 63rd TN INF
William Anderson (War Gap) F 16th TN CAV

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Minor, Fields, Sizemore
As we get more DNA data on the male and female lines that are "proven" descendents of those who were FPC or mulatto in the 1800-1870 period, we should get a better picture of their ancestry and a model of how they became FPC or mulatto.

But, too answer your question about classification, I do think that Indian-White mixes tended to be classified as White--perhaps not in the 1st generation, but certainly after that, and that Mulatto-White mixes tended to be classified as White off and on, and Mulatto-Mulatto mixes as Mulatto most of the time--as they should have been under the race laws of most of the States. Now, I can only speak to Hawkins and Hancock counties. But, I believe this applies to AR, NC and KY as well.

I have just gone through a number of new books from the early to mid-1800s and I am convinced more than ever that the terms FPC and Mulatto during that time period were intended to mean part-African from the 1st generation to the 3rd generation--the British classification scheme that we inherited. According to a document that I read from the Island Colonies, you could not tell that someone was part-African if they were less than Octaroon, and that was the basis for the generational rule in the Continental Colonies.

And, according to the Court records of the 1800s, the terms colored and mulatto were part of the problem--e.g., colored and mulatto were intended by State legislatures to mean part African, but the determination was in the eye of the beholder, not actually measurable without records, and often misapplied to those who should not have been classified as mulatto or colored in the legal sense. One of my own great aunts--a Collins is a good example of that--she was said to be colored by her in-laws and that didn't mean Indian.

Getting back to my original point though, I think that the Minors, Fields, and Sizemores of Hawkins and Hancock counties are great examples. We know from the DNA data that the Minors were African, the Sizemores were Indian, and the Fields were White in the male line. In the early census records, the Sizemores and Fields are classified as white, and the Minors as FPC. Now, it would be interesting to see if there is some early census record in KY or NC that classifies them as FPC. The picture that I saw of the KY Sizemore leave no doubt in my mind that he was part Indian--but, was he classified as FPC--although we don't know whether the Sizemores were part African or not through the female line.

Now, I found some interesting books today that help shed light on the public perception of FPCs. I think that these early books are more useful because they reflect the legal and moral beliefs of the time. The last excerpt is especially interesting because it clearly state that in NY you have to be part African to be mulatto.

David Benedict (1813)
A General History of the Baptist Denomination in America and Other Parts of the World
Volume II
Boston: Manning & Loring

p. 206-207

We shall now close this chapter with some general
observations on the condition of the converted negroes,
and the slaves generally in the southern States. We
shall not enter into the merits of slavery, nor dwell
much upon the arguments which are brought for and
against it. We design to go no farther into the investigation of this unhappy policy, than to exhibit something of the circumstances of our African brethren, who are involved in it.

Slaves are the most numerous in Virginia, the two
Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. There
are some in a number of the other States ; but in these
six, the great body of them is found, and Virginia alone
contains about three hundred thousand, almost one-third
of its whole population. And I know not but the proportion
is as great in the five other States. In all the States under consideration there are multitudes of black people and Creoles, who are not slaves. Some are the descendants of manumitted ancestors; many who were born slaves have been liberated by benevolent and conscientious owners, and others have purchased their own freedom.

Pamplet printed in England before 1846 and reprinted in:
James G. Birney (1885)
The American Churches, The Bulwarks of American Slavery, 3rd Edition

AMERICAN SLAVERY

I. Of the twenty-six American states, thirteen are
slave states. Of the latter, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky,
Missouri, and Tennessee (in part), are slave-selling states ; the states south of them are slave-buying and slave-consuming states.

IV. There are in the United States, about 2,487,113
slaves, and 386,069 free people of color. Of the slaves,
80.000 are members of the Methodist church; 80,000 of
the Baptist; and about 40,000 of the other churches.
These church members have no exemption from being
sold by their owners as other slaves are. Instances are
not rare of slaveholding members of churches selling
slaves who are members of the same church with themselves.
And members of churches have followed the
business of slave-auctioneers.

VII. In the slave states a slave cannot be a witness in
any case, civil or criminal, in which a white is a party.
Neither can a free colored person, except in Louisiana.
Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois (free states), make colored
persons incompetent as witnesses in any case in which a
white is a party. In Ohio, a white person can prove his
own ("book") account, not exceeding a certain sum, by
his own oath or affirmation. A colored person cannot, as
against a white. In Ohio the laws regard all who are
mulattoes, or above the grade of mulattoes, as white.

X. The slave states make it penal to teach the slaves
to read. So also some of them to teach the free colored
people to read. Thus a free colored parent may suffer the
penalty for teaching his own children to read even the
Scriptures. None of the slave-holding churches, or religious bodies, so far as is known, have, at any time,
remonstrated with the legislatures against this iniquitous
legislation, or petitioned for its repeal or modification.
Nor have they reproved or questioned such of their members,
as, being also members of the legislatures, sanctioned
such legislation by their votes.

XVI. In the Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, and
Episcopal churches, the colored people, during service,
sit in a-particular part of the house, now generally known
as the negro pcw. They are not permitted to sit in any
other, nor to hire or purchase pews as other people, nor
would they be permitted to sit, even if invited, in the pews of white persons. This applies to all colored persons,
whether members or not, and even to licensed ministers of
their respective connections. The "negro pew" is almost
as rigidly kept up in the free states as in the slave.

Interesting Memoirs and Documents Relating to American Slavery (1846)
Narrative of Lewis Clark

Scene at Hamilton Village, N. Y. before 1844 and printed in Liberty Press

Mr. Cyrus Clarke, a brother of the well-known Milton and Lewis Clarke, (all of whom, till within a short time since, for some twenty-five years, were slaves in Kentucky,) mildly, but. firmly, presented his ballot at the town meeting board. Be it known that said Cyrus, as well as his brothers, are white, with only a sprinkling of the African; just enough to make them bright, quick, and intelligent, and scarcely observable in the color except by the keen and scenting slave-holder. Mr. Clarke had all the necessary qualifications of white men to vote. "

Slave. Gentlemen, here is my ballot; I wish to vote. (Board and by-stauders well knowing him, all were aghast— the waters were troubled,—the slave legions were 'up in their
might.')

Judge E. You can't vote ! Are you not, and have you
not been a slave ?

Slave. I shall not lie to rote. I am and have been a slave,
so called ; but I wish to vote, and I believe it my right and duty.

Judge E. Slaves can't vote.

Slave. Will you just show me in your books, constitution,
or whatever you call them, where it says a slave can't
vote?

Judge E. (Pretending to look over the law, &c., well knowing he was 'used up,') Well, well, you are a colored man, and can't vote without you are worth two-hundred and fifty dollars. (Mr. E. is well known to be very dark; indeed, as dark or darker than Clarke. The current began to set against Mr. E. by murmurs, sneers, laughs, and many other demonstrations of dislike.)

Slave. I am as white as you; and don't you vote?

Judge E. Are you not a, colored man ? and is not your
hair curly ?

Slave. We are both colored men; and all we differ in is,
that you have not the handsome wavy curl; you raise Goat's
wool, and I come, as you see, a little nearer Saxony.

At this time the fire and fun was at its height, and was fast consuming the judge with public opprobrium.

Judge E. I challenge this man's vote, he being a colored
man, and not worth two hundred and fifty dollars.

Friends and foes warmly contested what constituted a colored man by the New York statute. The board finally came to the honorable conclusion that, to be a colored man, he must be at least one half blood African. Mr. Clarke, the SLAVE, then voted, he being nearly full white. I have the history of this transaction from Mr. Clarke, in person. In substance it is as told me, but varying more or less from his language used.

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 8:26PM GMT
Hi
I am looking for a George and Emily Anderson form Sneedville and or Hancock County and or Hawkins County. Emily had dark skin and some of the family called her‘the squaw.'
I think Emily's name my have been Smith or Smyth but this is unclear! I think Emily was of african descent or a Native American, or a malungen or a women of mixed heritage.

I do not know where or when George marred Emily, but they left Handcock/Hawkins County before 1883. The family story is that they fled Hancock/Hawkins County as Gorge killed a man defending Emily. By 1883 they had 10 children and were living in Bonham, Texas, where Sarah Anderson Jameson my grate grandmother was born. They later moved to Marshfield Missouri.

Any info on Gorge or Emily Anderson and or murders that took place in Hancock county, Hawkins County and or Sneedvill following the Civil War would be appreciated.

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 10:24PM GMT
The Indian stories in Eastern Tennessee are generally bogus unless there was a Sizemore in the mix. Do you have any birthdates? There were only a few George Andersons. Hawkins/Hancock counties were like the old west after the Civil War. So, all of those stories about killings may be true. I can't find any George and Emily Anderson in 1870/1880 Hawkins/Hancock counties. Give me some more info.

Posted: 7 Jul 2012 4:58AM GMT
1840? To 1928 George was a Civil War veteran, who had been discharged from the Union Army in 1864. (I remember finding a copy of his discharge papers but I can’t put my hand on it today). i think George would have died in Marshfield Missouri.

My Mother who is in her 80 remembers being told that George was; Scotch Irish, farmer, carpenter, Quaker, and abolitionist. His father served in revisionary war. Other family members do not remember Gorge as a Quaker or abolitionist. My mother has childhood memories of Emily.

I realize that if Emily was legally Black or mulatto; she, her husband, and her children would have clung to the label squaw to avoid labels like mulatto and passing.
I have heard to differing version of the family’s flight form TN. I imagine the truth lies somewhere in-between the too. In both stories, George shot a man; and the family had to leave everything behind, fleeing at night.

Family that remember Gorge as a Quaker
Tell this story: George had shot a man who discovered their involvement in the Underground Railway…This story dos not add up as they were still living in TN after the civil war in 1864 when he was released form the Union Army. Although there were still former slaves heading north during the reconstruction era and they may have been helping them… or it could have been related to there mixed race relationship, or a combination.

Other family members tell this story
A man flirted with Emily or she flirted with a man and Gorge shot hem.
If flirting and a shooting did take place I would be inclined to think that “Flirting” was a euphemism for infidelity or rape. Ether of witch would have given Gorge the legal rite to shoot Emily and the man. In those days didn’t a white man have a right to defend his home and his property, which included his wife. If so why did they flee?This raze a question for me… if Emily or her parents were legally identified as ‘collard’ ‘mulatto’, or ‘black’ then wouldn’t it have been illegal for George to be marred to her.

I found this Gorge Anderson

Slave Census Schedule for Hancock County, Tennessee 1860 National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group M653, Roll #282
3 Click District, 24 Jul 1860
George Anderson
Female Black 67 years old
Female Black 26 years old
Female Black 21 years old
Male Mulatto 20 years old
Male Mulatto 5 years old
I am wondering if this is my Gorge? He could have been 20 and he might have taken his lover/wife Emily (female black 21?) and in-laws as property to avoided complication.
Do you know if there is a way to find out more about this Gorge Anderson?

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 5:46AM GMT
Surnames: Anderson, Calicott
Carter Hiram Anderson [b abt 1820 Scott, VA-d 5 Sep 1864 Andersonville, Sumter, GA in Civil War] was married 10 Dec 1840 Hancock/Hawkins TN to Ellender Calicott [b abt 1820-lived Wallen's Bend, Hancock, TN]. They had a son named George Anderson born about 1844 who is with them on the 1850 Census Hancock, Tn age 6, and on the 1860 Census age 15.
I have nothing more about him-he may be this George Anderson.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: anderson
We may never know who these brothers were.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions