Search for content in message boards

How tell if you have previously merged

How tell if you have previously merged

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you are clicking through leafs in FTM, and looking at resulting documents, how can you tell if you have already previously merged the one you are currently viewing?

Re: How tell if you have previously merged

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 8:00PM GMT
Bumping this as I really would like an answer...

If you are clicking through leafs in FTM, and looking at resulting documents, how can you tell if you have already previously merged the one you are currently viewing?

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 9:00PM GMT
You have to display the record, not just the hint. Then there is a line above the record header that says "You have attached this record to: John Doe in your tree "XYZTree".

But be careful, sometimes hints are duplicated probably because there are 2 identically indexed records in the database.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 10:13PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT
Is that there as you view the IMAGE of the document found by the
leaf>hits>selected-hit>displayed-document-image
?

And by the way, I am doing this in FTM on computer, not in an online tree.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:11PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2013 11:12PM GMT
Sorry, I misread the board it was on.

I don't know the answer because I usually go through the hints outside FTM; quicker and easier.

Have you tried just displaying the hint first w/o pulling up the image? If it is anywhere that's where you'll find it. If not, can you press F3 to bring up the edit panel for that person and see if you have already attached it?

Rosemary

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 12:06AM GMT
I am not seeing anything in the Web Search tab of FTM that is telling me.

The F3 tip is good as I can scroll down the facts and get a bit of a clue from the source-citations listed in the right panel. Before I had been clicking back to People and Person tabs to look at that. F3 is much easier.

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 1:47PM GMT
If I understand your question correctly you're referring to the list of "Possible Matches" that comes up in the "Web Search" window after you click on a leaf.

There's no way I know to eliminate a match from this list without requerying (is that a word?) the matches by going back to the "People" window and clicking on the leaf again.

Each time you requery the matches anything you've already attached or ignored will be gone from the list.

Ignore everything above if you're initiating your search from the "Web Search" window.

Dennis

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:46PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2013 2:51PM GMT
No, that is not my question. Let me state it in terms of the process...

In FTM 2010
People view; see a leaf; click leaf
(Let's say it is Mary, daughter of John)
Web search tab opens; list of hits appears
Select one that looks hopeful
Open the image of the "hit" document (say, a census)

Now, at this point, is there anything on the screen or that I can easily get to that will indicate to me whether or not this data has been previously merged?

Remember that it may have been merged previously when working on John--and the merge process also entered the data for Mary as you walked through the steps in the merge process.

I am asking this because I am beginning to find indications of double merges. For example, I'll have two residences for 1930 with identical text.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions