Search for content in message boards

Needing to upgrade Family Tree Maker Version 7 by Broderbund

Needing to upgrade Family Tree Maker Version 7 by Broderbund

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 8:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been using FTM v 7 off line and also have an ancestry.com membership. I am getting a new computer which probably won't be able to use the old program. I thought I would be able get the new version, which I gather is now by Ancestry.com. Will a new version be able to accept my files from the old one? I have been building my on-line trees with mostly just facts and my offline ones with stories. It would be great to have them all in one place, but is this going to work? Do the new programs interface with the old? Will I need help, or can a not very savvy computerer handle this transition? If I am already on Ancestry.com, is there a benefit to getting their off line version?

Re: Needing to upgrade Family Tree Maker Version 7 by Broderbund

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 11:15PM GMT
The short anser is that FTM 2012 will read your FTM version 7 file without any retyping

Some things to consider

Back up your FTM 7 file as a .FTW file not the compressed .FBC that FTM 7 backup produces. FTM 2012 will only read the .FTW file not the .FBC.

On your new computer using Windows Explorer create an appropriate folder and copy your FTM 7 .FTW file to it

When you have installed and registered FTM 2012 and installed a couple of patches, go to the Plan View, Click on the new tree tab and select import from an existing file.

I think in fact FTM 2012 will automatically recognise and .FTW file and offer to install it

As you have an existing Ancestry.,com account you can use this subscription from FTM 2012 . Login in from FTM 2012 using your same user name and password. You will I think be amazed at the integration between FTM and Ancestry.

Navigate to where you have your FTM 7 file saved and follow the prompts

FTM 2012 will do the rest

My advice with online trees is that FTM 2012 wil not work with the online tress created by FTM 7 so you will need to create ne online trees called Ancestor member trees (AMT) with FTM 2012. The good news is that you can sync an AMT with your FTM file

There is quite a learning curve for some from FTM up to 2006/16 and the new version started in 2008. There are some very good training tutorials in the help section of FTM 2012. Worth looking at

John D

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:16AM GMT
Thanks John. These look like good instructions and quite to the point. I am reassured that the new version will be able to absorb all my data.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:28AM GMT
Due to an awful 'hack' instituted in FTM 7 when the maps feature was introduced and continued through to FTM 16 you needed to add your places as a comment / location. It was called the slash delimitor.

The hack was to avoid adding a description field.

So you should enter place detail as [say] street address/town country. The first bit is a comment the second after the slash was recognised as a location which it attempted to plot and add to the map legend report in FTM 7 and above.

Most users of FTM never used the crude map feature and never bothered to learn or understand the slash delimitor even although it is in the FTM in program help

When you import your data into FTM 2012, your places are likely to contain both places and descriptions/comments that you will have to go through as a once-off exercise and resolve. FTM 2012 has some great tools to do this.

FTM 2008 and above have an excellent description fields associated with the Place fields so you can have a place and say a street address all correctly entered and resolved. The Place hierachy feauture in the 704 patch for FTM 2012 has further enahnced this capability.

It will all sound a bit complex but in fact once you have a look at FTM 2012 and have a look at the Places workspace you will get the hang of it.

John D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic