Search for content in message boards

Switching Surnames and given names - Tech question

Switching Surnames and given names - Tech question

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Community!

My issue is technical.
I made my family tree a few years earlier with a previous version of FTM, and just took it out to extend it with relatives.

My problem is that when I first did the tree I entered names the way they are written in Hungarian: Surname Given name.

Because of that the program has read them the other way around (as used in English).

SO now I have all my records the wrong way around: Given names are recorded as Surnames / Surnames as given names, but at least it is consistantly wrong.
I could go and re/write each record individually, but that is not really feasible as I already have over 300 records.

Does anyone know of a way in which I could switch around the
given and surname in all of my records?

Thank you very much for your help.
Best Regards,
a

Re: Switching Surnames and given names - Tech question

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 9:47PM GMT
I don't know FTM well enough to know if it has a hidden utility, but what you should be able to do is export the DB as a GEDCOM file and change:

1 NAME lastname /first/

-to-

1 NAME /lastname/ first

Then import that GEDCOM as a new family tree and see if everything is corrected.

To change the GED file you can open it up in "Notepad".

NEVER open one of these in a word processor program!

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 11:17PM GMT
Excellent advice

John D

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:06AM GMT
thank you for the quick help.

I managed to export the file and ope it up with a clever Notepad utility. At this point I am stuck though. I do not know what command I can use to switch the names around it all lines with NAME.
I am trying to use the "replace" function.

Thank you very much if anyone has any ideas.
Best,
a

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:43AM GMT
Do not switch the values only the /

The Gedcom standard says that // around a name denotes a surname. Surnames can come in any order and while FTM does not support all cases, it does, IIRC, support /surname/ given as well as given /surname/.

Once reimported FTM will "fix" the problem. Even if it is really not a problem if your culture place family name before given name!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions