Search for content in message boards

Notes for Online tree

Notes for Online tree

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 10:49PM GMT
I have been working on my family tree for about 10 years now and hope to have it finished in a couple of more years. It is in my Family Tree Maker 2012 database I have a lot of notes that are pertinent to the people they are attached. These notes have things like reasoning for a decision, points of interested, etc.

In looking at the Ancestry trees I do not see any notes. Will these notes be lost when I upload my tree to Ancestry?

With out these notes, there could be some errors in a tree that owner blindly took data from my tree.

Re: Notes for Online tree

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT
The online tree, good as it is is, not good with notes.

I would suggest that you preserve your notes in FTM which as many ways to handle notes

John D

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT
Only "person" notes sync to the ancestry member tree. And then, only the tree owner and anyone invited to the tree with editor status can view the notes. For my notes which I want other users to be able to access, I have cut/pasted them into a story and attached them that way also.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:20AM GMT
The notes that I am most interested in is those notes that tag some data.

For research purposes for some of my people I have estimated a birth date based on their children's ages. ie if a mother has a child in 1900, she was probably born between 1830 and 1880.

Is there any way to tag this in an Ancestry online tree.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:09AM GMT
" ie if a mother has a child in 1900, she was probably born between 1830 and 1880."

I hope this is a typo- I can't see a woman born in 1830 having a child in 1900. I would think a more likely range to be 1855-1884.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:30PM GMT
1830 was a typos should have been 1850. While there are mothers who are 16 (1884) at the time of their first child, in my experience the average age was about 20 in the communities that my families lived.

On the other end a woman born in 1850 would have been 50 at the time of her last child. This is unusual, but again possible. A again in my families, especially the ones with a lot of children, there are those children that were I am sure surprises in women near 50. Even to day you see the 50 year old mothers.

Also based on my families (1600 people 8 generation from Europe and most of the eastern US) natural life spans have not increased in the last 200 years. People who live natural life spans, whether born in the early 1800's or more recently, have lived into the mid 90's. I have multiple examples of people reaching these ages, some to over 100. At least one 104 year old was born in 1788. In my mother's family, over 90 year olds are quite common

Because of Child birth and childhood disease, many did not live a natural life span. Better control of these items have made the apparent life span increase.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:34PM GMT
I simply use Abt. 1850 the date field which tells me it is an estimate but is useful when scanning through new data to keep me in the right time period.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 2:54PM GMT
Maybe you already know this, but when you are estimating or guessing a birth date, in the FTM birth date field you can enter "between 1850-1880".
(You can do this for the other date fields, too.)

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:18PM GMT
I am aware of the Between dates. I try to reserve that for those dates that have definite boundaries. ie. the woman appears in the 1860 census and the second wife's first son is born in 1866. Therefore the second marriage probably occurred between 1860 and 1866.

I do not like to use "between" for dates with undefined boundaries.

It would be nice to have a second tag for guesses. ie guess 1850 - 1880
per page

Find a board about a specific topic