Search for content in message boards

Result detail for merging?

Result detail for merging?

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
When I click on possible matches then click on a record to have a look at for na possible merge it takes ages to appear in the result detail box in the bottom right hand corner? The little wheel keeps going round and round but I usually stop it after about 5 minutes it seems to just keep going?
I would appreciate some advice on what to do or do I just need to be patient??
Thank you
Jenny

Re: Result detail for merging?

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:27AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2013 2:27AM GMT
It would help use help you if you were to tell us about this machine and how you connect to the Internet.

Make and model of machine?
Do you use dial up, DSL or cable Connection?

Also are you using WiFi to connect to your router to access the internet?

What version of FTM are you using?

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 2:41AM GMT
This problem also occurs with i7 3GHz Quad Core processors (8 threads) with 12GB RAM and 10MB Cable internet connections. Sometimes selecting another record then back to the one you want may cause the wheel to stop spinning and the results appear.

Regards,

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 4:07AM GMT
My laptop is an Aspire 5315 I use wifi broadband and my program is FTM 2011.
Jenny

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 4:05PM GMT
Can you explain more about this WiFi broadband.
Who is the provider?
Is the Router/modem connected by a phone cable or one like a TV cable?

Different providers have different download speeds and some are very slow compared to others. Also the use of a DSL (phone connection) compared to a "Cable" TV provider is much slower than the cable connection.

Then there is the WiFi connection between your computer and the router, they can also slow things down.

If you can, get a CAT 5 cable and try connecting the computer to the router using it and see if you get better response.

Then you may also be accessing a server at Ancestry that is busy at the time you are there, or the data just may be on a slower server to start with.

If this always happens to the same file but not others I would call Ancestry and see if they can help.

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 8:32PM GMT
Thank you for your answer David it happens to the same file so I am going to get in touch with Ancestry.
Jenny
per page

Find a board about a specific topic