Search for content in message boards

atkinson crowhill stieglitz

atkinson crowhill stieglitz

Posted: 13 Oct 2007 10:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Atkinson, Von Stieglitz
I intend to publish a history about the "von stieglitz".
Henry Lewis Von Stieglitz, from Saxony (1762-1824) married in Kilmore (?) 20.4. 1802 Charlotte Atkinson, * Crowhill, County Armagh Irland ... 1784 + Ballance, Victoria, Australien 22.11. 1852. She is registered as d. of John A., armer and unknown Henderson.
They lived first on "Lewis Hill", Cookstown, Co. Armagh and later in the Gortalawry House, Cookstown. After the dead of H.L. the family emigrated to Tasmania and Victoria. The most came back to ireland.
Now 1: Does somebody know this Charlotte ?
2: In other threads i noticed a William A. m. with a Henderson, their son Francis married a Eliza, daughter of H.L. von Sleightely (or so), with descendants. This name exists not in Germany, I think this must be a daughter of Henry Lewis von Stieglitz.
Can somebody please help me
Thanks l.v.stieglitz

Re: atkinson crowhill stieglitz

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Stieglitz Neill
Hello!

May be irrelevant but I have a story that involves a Mrs von Stieglitz - possibly a Baroness. She may have lived at Carrickblacker House.
My grandmother was one of a family of 5 who were born in 1860s and lived at Hacknahay Portadown. The family was poor - their father was a weaver at home. The 5 children spent their summer evenings walking around the lanes in the area (According to my father who was born in 1912)They met and talked to Baroness von S and she appears to have decided that William John Neill was clever. According to my father the Baroness managed to arrange for William John to go to the local "grammar" school and then he got a scholarship to Trinity College Dublin. He was awarded a degree and then became a teacher in Belfast and Newtownards (not sure which was first)However sadly he died I think of pneumonia when he was in his thirties at his digs (boarding house) in Belfast. He was not married. This was a great disaster to the family as he was seen as the great hope! Three of his siblings did not marry and my granmother was the only one to marry - late in life - and surprise to everyone had my father her only child when she was in her forties.
I still have a few books that belonged to William John.
You are the first person I have ever heard of that had an interest of any sort in the von Stieglitz family!
Regards
Margaret

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Von Stieglitz
Hi Just found your message to.day
Doing my own research last year I found the following deaths. All buried in Cookstown, Co Tyrone
Frederick Ludvoig Von Stieglitz Aged 63 Died 18 May 1866, From Newry
John Von Stieglitz,died 25 August 1868, from Rostrevor
Robert Von Stieglitz,aged 59,died 22 March 1876,from Kilkeel.
Hope this of interest to you,any more detail just ask

Posted: 21 May 2008 7:12PM GMT
Surnames: Stieglitz Blacker
I am so sorry for the late answer. Thank you for this kind reply. I am planning a family history. This Baroness Stieglitz was the husband of Frederic Lewis von Stieglitz, a son of a saxon, who came about 1802/3 to Ireland. Later Frederic and his brothers and sisters emigrated to Tasmania and Australia. Frederic and some of his brothers returned to Armagh and Tyrone (see the 2nd reply). They were very lucky there and could buy seats and lands again. Frederic was the luckiest, he married here Hester Blacker. Some years after his dead, she received "for her lifetime" Carrickblacker, the seat of her family. In her later years, she died 1899, she was very helpful for the community.
So 1000 thanks for your story !!
Your Leo Stieglitz

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 11:08PM GMT
many thanks, sorry for this too late answer.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: Atkinson, Von Stieglitz
Hello, I am reading your post many years later so not sure if this information is still relevant . I am a descendent of Francis Atkinson and Elizabeth Von Stieglitz from Ballan, Victoria. My Grandfather Alfred Atkinson was born in Ballan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic