Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 on Network

FTM 2012 on Network

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Two related issues, but will make separate threads for clarity... Question #1: I have FTM 2012 on a desktop machine (nice having two monitors, lots of area to work with). The main tree on that machine is synced with my AFT (via TreeSync). It all works as designed.

However, I'd like to be able to work on my FTM tree from my laptop in other parts of the house. While I know I could work on the online AFT on the laptop, for file organization purposes, I would really like to work on the FTM file.

Even though I've searched the message board (not able to find conclusive answers), I am wondering if anyone is successfully running their FTM using a network drive for the database storage while accessing that from more than one machine (not simultaneously). If so, how do you have it set up? What files need to be on the shared drive? Do you only sync to the AFT (TreeSync) from one of the machines (e.g. from the "main" location, the desktop in my case)?

Again, I am not talking about simultaneous editing -- only one instance of FTM software would be running at a time.

Thoughts? Experiences to share? Thanks in advance...

-- Jeff

Re: FTM 2012 on Network

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:27PM GMT
Jeff,

FTM has another set of controls in the User>Appdata>Roaming>FamilyTreeMaker directory that are required for sync. I don't know how you would get these on a network drive.

Rosemary

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:25PM GMT
That's really helpful, Rosemary. I wonder if it could work if I made the data files resident on, say, the desktop computer but linked to them from the laptop (using the desktop drive as the shared drive), then only "sync" from the desktop. I wonder if the information needed for the TreeSync operation would be preserved that way, or if there is some form of data written to the files in the User/AppData/Roaming/FamilyTreeMaker folder that would be needed for successful sync. Hmmm...

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 6:02PM GMT
Well ... there's an interesting problem for you ... something to think about instead of boring old budget reports, manpower reports, etc (aka work).

The FTM development team are SUPPOSED to be working on the multiple computer (well, 2 anyway) problem. I'm not holding my breath.

Rosemary

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:19PM GMT
If your not using your desktop and laptop at the same time, try running a remote desktop. Essentially your laptop is a window to your desktop. It should be quite responsive on a lan.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 6:01AM GMT
John, thanks for the suggestion of "remote desktop." That's my "work-around" for now, and you're right -- it's very responsive on the home network.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 7:17PM GMT
My advice - don't do it. I've played with it, and while it can work - I've encountered too many instances of sync errors after editing from the 2nd machine. Keep FTM on one machine, if you must use your laptop for editing just edit the Ancestry version of the tree and sync the changes down from there.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 7:31PM GMT
I think I'm going to rely on the Remote Desktop solution for now (I'm lucky that my home network is speedy -- there really is no lag). I'm hopeful that at some point we'll have a network version of FTM, but it seems that time has not yet come. Thanks for the good advice, folks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions