Search for content in message boards

Is there a way to mark a branch in the tree as a dead end?

Is there a way to mark a branch in the tree as a dead end?

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 3:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am wondering if it is possible ot mark a branch of the family tree as a dead end, so I can stop going into that branch and looking for people that do not exist. I keep forgetting which family either did not have kids or died out without kids and spending time every once in a while researching to find someone that does not exist.

On a side note - is it just my family or is it common for many branches in a family to die out? I do not have a number on it off the top of my head, but this has happened probably 20 times so far since my GGG grandparents. At least 4 of their 7 kids lines died out, and of the other 3 kids who had kids, I keep running into descendant lines that die out.

Anyway - hope the original question is not too weird. Just looking for a way to easily mark a line as done so I can stop poking around.

Re: Is there a way to mark a branch in the tree as a dead end?

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:48PM GMT
Some people use an image of "End of Line" as a reminder.

I've had a few lines die out. In my maternal line from the rural south, there was much intermarrying among close cousins, which may have impacted the viability of the family line.

On my paternal line, very few of my grandfather's siblings married, so that line is nearly extinct.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:56PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 4:57PM GMT
You can set up custom fact, have it private if you wish, and just use that.

The advantage is that you can use the filter to include or exclude people with that fact.

You can also add it to the right-hand panel when in Family View to see it quickly.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 5:05PM GMT
Oh - I like the image idea. Simple and obvious. Make it their profile picture.

Thanks!

Glenn

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:07PM GMT
Dumb question what do you mean "Died out" To me there are basically two ways a family can died out. One is there is no children who reproduced, hence no grandchildren, no succeeding generations.

The second way is to have a generation of girls where where the family name dies out.

In my opinion it is highly uncommon for a family to die out with no grandchildren. While it is quite common for a branch of the family name to die out.

My great grandfather's family has nearly died out, My g-grandfather had 8 children, of which three was boys.

One of these boys died without children, one had all girls, my grandfather had two boys. Of those two boys one had one two sons, of which there is only one boy in their children.

My father had three boys, one had two girls and each of the others had one son each.

So out of my great grandfather's 8 children, in the fourth generation there are only three boys that currently have his surname.

It is improbable that two of those three will have children, and the remaining boy has one son, and says there will be no others. so in the fifth generation there is only one son.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:23AM GMT
Keith

No question is “dumb”.

If a person does not marry that line “dies out”.

If a person marries but has no children that line “dies out”.

If a couple have children but none of them have children that line “dies out”

All three of these conditions do occur.

I have a couple who had 6 children. Five did not marry and the sixth had no children.

Curt

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:46AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2013 12:46AM GMT
My husband's line has died out. None of his children will ever have children and there will never be offspring from his sibs.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 1:22AM GMT
Just because some do NOT marry, does NOT mean that there is no offspring. I have run into several so died out lines that in fact there are offspring.

I think that when more people are involved with the DNA research, we will find more.

I also have found DNA changes from one generation to the next, so the family name is not really the blood line name. I have one that was raised as a "Smith" but the blood line is a "Jones". The involved person, did find this out and then legally had his name changed to "Smith".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions