Search for content in message boards

Tracking adoptions

Tracking adoptions

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 11:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am using FTM 2012.
My Grandmother was Adopted by a couple. I have attached the couple as the Adoptive parents, but I notice that in FTM the adoptive mother is noted as "Great grandmother of [me]". This should really be "Adoptive mother of grandmother of [me]". etc etc
I am wondering if I am missing something here. I also notice that if I run a descendants chart for the adoptive mother, my grandmother is listed as sister to the other biological children - no reference to the adoptive relationship.
Is there any way that FTM represents the adoptive relationship, other than a simple note in the relationships window?

Hope someone can give me a clue.

Regards

Richard Tomalin

Re: Tracking adoptions

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2013 2:38PM GMT
This is one of my pet peeves of FTM software.

It also exhibits this behavior with regards to persons you may designate as having a step-relationship with (by using the Relationship button at the person page and designating someone a step-parent of child.

Note that one can alter the FTM behavior in ANCESTRAL reports by being sure to designate the "blood" parents as the "preferred parents". But this doesn't help with DESCENDANT reports.

What I am beginning to do with my surname study is to put persons "adopted-IN" to my family twice. One a dummy marker person that says that person was adopted-in and (usually) he has been set up with a parent of "Surname Adopted-in" to designate a new blood line within that surname was started. For women adopted in, I may just show a marriage and children and not take her further, because her descendants don't continue either the name or the blood of any ancestor of her adoptive parents.

I have only done this for my surname study. For my other 125 New England lines, adoptees are sprinkled through their families. I have a custom fact setup to show the line of descent of a person. For adoptees, I try to remember to put "Smith - ADOPTED-IN LINE".

People "adopted-OUT" of my surname study don't present the same problem, as they are truly blood descendants of their blood parents, and will properly show as blood descendant with a name change. I do try to remember to show their BLOOD parents as the primary parents, so they will show up with BLOOD ancestors in their ancestry reports.

As for stepchildren, I recommend to not use the facility within FTM to designate multiple parents followed by using the "step" designation. It leads to unintended consequences, just like you have seen with adoptions.

Note that in the first generation only of a Descendant Register report, you can force a parenthetical phrase for "adopted" for the first generation-child adopted by checking the box for "type of relationship", but that designation will not carry on to further generations - and you will end up with non-blood descendants of an ancestor in the adoptive ancestor's descendant reports and charts.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 4:53PM GMT
Thanks for the comprehensive response. At least I now know that i have not missed anything.

Best regards

Richard

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:31PM GMT
ALL of these reasons are why adopted, step, and foster relations should NOT be included in a family charts - period.

If the report has the word Ancestor(s) of Descendant(s) in it then it is meant to be limited to those and their spouses/children.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 10:20PM GMT
A nice woraround by silver fox

But it is just a workaround in that it appears that the system was not properly designed to handle the situation described by the original poster [and so a workaround to the system was developed]

My suggestion is that the original poster of this thread should describe the situation/issue, explain that the system does not properly handle the described situation/issue and then send in a suggestion to the development group that a fix/enhancement needs to be made to the present system.

It may take a fair amount of time for the development group to get around to fixing the system, but with periodic reminders to the development group it will hopefully get fixed. If no suggestion is sent to the development group then they won't know the situation/problem exists and users will forever be developing workarounds to the issue/problem

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 10:46PM GMT
Thanks for the useful feedback.

How do we feed back suggestions to the developers?
I am prepared to that a go.

Regards

Richard

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 6:06PM GMT
rtomalin comment

“Thanks for the useful feedback.

How do we feed back suggestions to the developers?”

Steps to provide Feedback to Ancestry.com

1- Go to “Plan View” in FTM 2012
2- In the Ancestry Web dashboard [on the right side] click on “Links”
3- In Links portion that opens click on “Family Tree Maker”
4- In the window that opens click on “Technical Support” [top middle portion of screen]
5- In the window that opens go to the right and click on “’please let us know”
6- Step 5 opens a window that has a form on it, fill out this form and click on “Submit” at the bottom

NOTE: The form has a slot to provide “Feedback about” and one of the choices is “Technical Support” ------I never click on Technical Support because your/my suggestion will end up with the technical support group [and you/I will get into a needless long winded time consuming discussion with the Support Group”] -- In this case I would click on “Enhancement Requests”

I use MS word to compose/edit my suggestions, and then I copy and paste them into the feedback portion of the form

I also save a copy of the suggestion I submitted as a reminder of what my suggestion was and I also can refer to that copy if and when I want to resubmit it or ask a question of the development group about the status of the submitted suggestion

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 5:19PM GMT
For YEARS I have contacted the makers of this software and described the situation/issue, explained
that the system does not properly handle the described situation/issue and then sent in a suggestion to the development group that a fix/enhancement needs to be made to the present system. See the results? me either! arrrggggg!

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 4:55PM GMT
@AGHatchett3rd

"ALL of these reasons are why adopted, step, and foster relations should NOT be included in a family charts - period.

If the report has the word Ancestor(s) of Descendant(s) in it then it is meant to be limited to those and their spouses/children."

I entirely disagree with this statement.

My father was adopted and my entire paternal line represented in my tree is adoptive. There are several reasons why I chose to keep them in:

1) His adoptive mother is the ONLY grandparent I've ever known, and I loved her dearly. To leave her out of my family tree would be an insult to her memory and deny that we were indeed family.

2) Since my father was an only child, my mother and myself are the keepers of his adoptive parents' papers and photos going back to the mid 1800s. Should any extended family ever want to research his adoptive parents, I have a great deal of information that I would be more than happy to share. If I didn't connect my father to his adoptive parents, their lives could be lost to history.

3) I participate in several DNA sites trying to locate my father's birth family. It is always possible that his adoptive parents arranged a private adoption of a family member who could not raise him, which was common in 1930, when he was born. I have actually matched to several lines of his adoptive tree. Should I find that he was indeed related to his adoptive family, I have all this information at hand.

My Dad's record clearly shows the date of his adoption and his records are attached. Anytime someone inquires as to my relationship I always explain that Dad was adopted.

Given the explosion in interest in DNA, particularly amongst adoptees and descendant of adoptees, it would be really nice if genealogical software could accommodate blended and chosen families. This is especially true in an age when half of all marriages end in divorce. At this point, the best we can do is chose an alternate parent and that is not good enough.

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 5:59PM GMT
These are all reasons why you may wish to pursue your adoptive roots, but in my opinion NOT as a part of your tree, ie a separate tree.

I think it is unfortunate that software allows this to happen, but I guess enough people feel like you do that FTM has decided to accomodate adoptive lines, as illogical as it is.

You have no genealogical link to them - until you find some peripheral link, as you mention.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic