Search for content in message boards

coe family of kentucky

coe family of kentucky

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 3:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: coes and owens
I am searching for my family. My ggrandfather was Samuel Winfield Coe..married Nannie Bell Owens both of Wayne Co. Kentucky...I have come to a complete dead end with this search...Who was Samuels parents and brothers and sisters?..Who was Nannie Bell Owens Coes brothers and sisters...Her parents were James and Elizabeth Owens..could someone out there please help me...thanks you in advance Vickie Bunch Lawless any info would be greatly appreciated...

COE, Samuel Winfield, b. Feb. 1862 Wayne Co KY USA

Carl Robert Coe (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2003 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: coe
Vickie,

I was delighted to see your request for information on Samuel Winfield Coe and Nannie Bell Owens. I have posted below material from page 734 of the book "The Coe Families of Maryland and Virginia." For additional information, please see http://peggysue5.homestead.com/Coe.html

Samuel4 Coe (Jacob3, Pearson2, Francis Peter1) was born in 1862 in Kentucky. Although on his marriage license he stated that his father was born in Wayne County, KY, it is possible that Samuel Winfield Coe, born February 1862 in Kentucky, was one and the same with this Samuel Coe. A farmer, he first appears on record in Wayne County in 1886, and is listed there in the 1900 through 1920 censuses. He died in 1922 and was buried at the Coe family cemetery at Naomi, KY.

He married December 30, 1886, in Wayne County, KY, Nannie Bell Owens, born 1868 in Wayne County, died January 26, 1936, daughter of James and Elizabeth Owens.

Children (b. in Wayne County, KY):
i. Fred M., b. Nov. 1889.
ii. Charles E., b. March 1892.
iii. Elizabeth L., b. Dec. 1894.
iv. Effie M., b. Aug. 1896.
v. William Lloyd, b. June 1898.
vi. Jonathan, b. March 30, 1904.
vii. Thelma M., b. 1909.

Samuel Winfield Coe and Nannie Bell Owens' marriage license is on file at the courthouse in Monticello, KY -- Wayne County, KY, Marriages, 85-87:186.

Although I have listed Samuel's father above as Jacob Coe, and Jacob Coe did indeed have a son Samuel born in 1862 in Kentucky, Samuel Winfield Coe may have been a grandson of Samuel and Elvira (Davis) Coe of Wayne County, KY. Samuel and Elvira Coe's grandson Arthur Marcum is mentioned on the above marriage license.

I hope this is helpful.

Carl Robert Coe
Marysville, OH 43040-9012
per page

Find a board about a specific topic