Search for content in message boards

saving tree as a pdf file

saving tree as a pdf file

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
hi can my family tree maker file be saved as a pdf file instead of gedcom? if not, are there any trees that i can save as a pdf?
i want it done by friday to email my brother so he can forward it to someone else who is coming to visit on friday.
i have ftm 2009 and 2012(2012 version not installed on my laptop yet, which has the sync option)
please can anyone help?
John in ireland

Re: saving tree as a pdf file

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 11:53PM GMT
You can create a Register Report and you can add facts and dates for the descendants of a common ancestor. Look in the Publish Section of the program.

Regards,

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:58AM GMT
I do this all of the time. Go to Publish, Genealogy Reports, and create a Descendant report.

Select the report and hit the Create button. With the report showing, click the "Items To Include" icon at the top left of the right panel. Select all facts and include all the notes you want.

If your database is large you may wish to consider making it an FTM book. In Publish selecting Books, give it a title and create a new book. Right click in the right pane and add two new book items. One; the Descendant report described above, and the Index item from Other. The index is nice as it help locate people in the report.

Once you get the book as you want it, click Share, and Export to PDF.

I take this one step further. For each maternal family I include a Descendant Report for their family up to the point of the marriage into the main paternal line.

I also include text items for any information I want to include like a long justification of one of my decisions.

I use this method with the Descendant Report rather than the Ahnentafel Report, as it gives more connection points when I am trying to connect with a distant cousin.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT
thankyou to both of you for your replies. i will try it and see what happens. i tried lastnight but it froze!

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:40PM GMT
How large is this file?

How mnay people, media and etc would help?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT
Information on your verson of FTM and computer it is running on are also essential in resolving problems like you are experiencing.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 10:17PM GMT
Before you try to print the file again, try backing up and compacting the file.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 10:23PM GMT
i am using ftm 2009 on windows xp home edition on a dell pc.
i might download cute pdf. i tried generating chart but nothing happened maybe because i could already see it, but it wouldnt let me save as pdf. i will try tomorrow. i got a pdf file of some of my tree from soenone else interested in it so have got some of it, also found sheets of the tree from my distant cousin so if i cant do it i always have them as a backup!!

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2013 10:56PM GMT
John, if you want to provide the most information in a report, the Genealogy "Register" Report is the best one to use. The tree chart will be very large and difficult to read/print. You can test out the capabilities of the Register report using just a few generations then expanding it once you have the included facts determined.

Regards,

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 2:30AM GMT
You are aware the CutePDF works as a printer. When you use CutePDF you print the file as if you were printing to paper. When the Printer select windows comes up select the CutePDF icon and follow the prompts.

Sorry if this is something you know, but sometimes you have to ask the very simple questions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions