Search for content in message boards

Do You Need Help in Ozaukee cty. Research?

Do You Need Help in Ozaukee cty. Research?

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2006 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you are need of help in researching family info in Ozaukee county I may be able to help you out.

I have a wide variety of resources at my disposal to conduct searches. If you find yourself 'stuck' perhaps I can help you out or point you in the right direction.

I know how difficult it is when you live too far away and not know what, where or when the reseach resources are available.

This is my attempt at returning the favors which other kind people have done for me in the past helping with my family and history research projects. ---Carol

Re: Do You Need Help in Ozaukee cty. Research?

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 1:47AM GMT
Boy oh boy do I need help!!! I'm working this backward and don't even know if I have the right people. My greatgrandfather William Harris married a girl named Margaret who was born in Wisconsin in approx 1860. When checking for births of Margarets in the 1860s I found a Margaret Laubenstein born in 1860. I believe she may be my greatgrandmother, but I can't prove it. I found Margaret in the 1880 census living in Ozaukee county, Fredonia township. When checking marriage certificates I found that Henry listed as head of household and Christina, wife, were married in 1865. Which means that either Christina had 2 husbands (which is the foremost possiblity) or Henry had 2 wives. I found Christina in the 1860 census married to John Laubenstein. I realize back then they married brothers-in-law, cousins etc so I think there may be a link between these 2 families. The problem is I can't find any information about Margaret, like a marriage certificate etc. If she is my great grand mother she lived most of her adult life in Chicago. She was married to William Harris and when he died she married their boarder Charles Raw. I have not been able to find obits or any other info on them to determine her maiden name. I am grasping at straws. If you know anything about this family I would be in your debt. I live in Georgia now and it is very difficult researching only databases offered online. Thank you for any help you can give.

Jackie (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2006 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: Braun, Baeseman
Such a generous offer. If you need any research done in the SW part of Washington State feel free to e-mail me.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find out if church records are available for St Rose Church, in Fredonia 4/26/1926. This was the date of my grandparents wedding. I have a copy of the invitation. The LDS doesn't have the records and I was curious as to who else got married that day, and if there is any indication that either the bride or the groom were members of the the church (my grandmother grew up in Fond Du Lac Co., -or so I thought, and my grandfather in Washington Co.).

The invitation says the reception was to be held at Gerold's Hall, Fredonia, WIs. Are you familiar with this hall? Any idea if it's still standing, or if it's a grocery store, gas station, movie theater, beauty shop or something else?

And, again, thank you.

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 3:53PM GMT
Hi

Let me check - I think my local archives office has St Rose records on microfilm. The Archdiocese in SE WI at some point in time (within the last 10 years) decided they would not allow any parish permission to be granted fo requests by historical societies to obtain microfilm records from LDS. The local archives office managed to obtain films of SOME Catholic churches in Ozaukee cty. before the Archdiocese put the hammer down (so to speak).

On the other hand I have heard that the Archdiocese based in or near Fond du Lac WI DOES allow access. Go figure ---

Office is only open Tuesdays - I will see what I can do. -- Carol

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 4:06PM GMT
Hi

OK, I'm a little confused so let me see if I can help you sort this out.

A William Harris married "Margaret", maiden name unknown. Do you have a date, even approximate, of when that occurred? Did Harris live in Ozaukee cty. at any point in time? If so, when and where (approximate location would help).

Do you have death dates for any of these people?

What marriage certificates have you checked? WI, IL, ? I can check Ozaukee cty. marriage records but I need to what resources you have looked into.

Let's start with that and see where we can take this. -- Carol

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 4:17PM GMT
Just realized I should have asked WHO I am looking for in the marriage records - oops.

AND - I have found out that Gerald's Place, aka Gerold's Tavern and Dance Hall, "a tavern that was for a long time one of the village's important gathering places, was destroyed in a fire in 1944." Info from Vallage of Fredonia Centennial (1874-1974) celebration book.

Marriage look up for

Jackie (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 9:38PM GMT
Rose Katherine Braun & Alvin Baeseman.

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 3:01AM GMT
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am at a total loss.
Ok...I found my Grt Grd , William Harris in the 1900 census living in Chicago with his wife Margaret who was born in Wisconsin in 1860. He died before the 1910 census and Margaret had married Charles Raw who was a boarder in their home in 1910. I tried checking for marriage cert in Illinois and Wis and have had no luck with either Harris or Raw. I then looked at Margaret who was born in Wis, who's parents were born in Germany (I got this from the 1900 census). In checking the birth records for Wis I could only find one listed that met this criteria...Margaret Laubenstein. And that is as far as I have been able to get. I could be totally off base because I can not find her maiden name. As to a marriage date...in the 1900 census, the oldest child was born in Sept 1889 so I'm thinking they were married in 1888,1889 but I have no idea where.
I would appreciate it even if you could prove M. Laubenstein is NOT by ggmother.
Thank you for any help you can give me. I truly appreciate it.

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2006 5:53PM GMT
I checked out several sources at the archives office. There were a number of “Harris”s, only one William - the woman he married and the date were not of any help.

I checked out all the “Margaret Laubenstein”s who married and there were three: one married Carl F. MERZDORF about 1890; one married Wilhelm NIERODE, 28 April 1878; one married Henry KELLING, 26 Feb 1885.

Perhaps this may prove William Harris did not marry a Margaret Laubenstein in Ozaukee county.

May I offer the following suggestions? Do you know where William Harris is buried? Is Margaret buried with him or with Raw? You need a death date (even approximate). Have you tried the State of Illinois on-line data base? http://cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/idphdeath...

If I can be of further help please don’t hesitate to contact me. --Carol

Re: Marriage look up for

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2006 5:55PM GMT
I checked the microfilmed records of St. Rose of Lima Parish. The church was organized in 1909 and the records filmed are from 1910 to 1920. Anything after 1920 was not allowed to be filmed which meant their marriage record was not available.

I did find their names in the marriage index of the archives office as follows: Rose BRAUN, age 22, daughter of Joseph BRAUN and Susan STEFFEN license applied for April 1926, Alvin BAESEMANN, age 37, son of Henry BAESEMANN and Hulda LAST. The license was taken out in WASHINGTON county, #1390, 11-30. I find it interesting that they chose the Fredonia church rather than the Little Kohler church which I would have thought was probably closer to where they may have lived.

As I see it, you have two options. You could either write the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, attn: Timothy Cary, Archivist, 3501 South Lake Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53207 (414) 769-3408 requesting a copy and/or write to Washington County Register of Deeds, 432 E. Washington St., West Bend, WI 53095 (262) 338-4301 for a copy which you should be able to get easily as you have the license numbers.

Hope this helps. --Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions