Search for content in message boards

George Frederick Smart

George Frederick Smart

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information regarding my great uncle, George Frederick Smart, born in Bow, London in 1897. I believe that he was a merchant seaman and eventually settled in Australia. I think he also had a son called Ian, but have no further details. As I don't have Ancestry Worldwide I cannot search the Australian records.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: George Frederick Smart

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 7:28PM GMT
Hi,
Do you know if he was married (had his son) in England or Australia?
Also to try and find a death we would need his parents names.

Kellie

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 9:21PM GMT
Hi Kellie,

Thank you fior your interest.

I assume that my great uncle was married as family legend has it that he had a son called Ian, who I vaguely remember visiting whern I was very young, but that it all. George's parents were George Frederick Nicholls, 1874-1909 and Naud Elizabeth Pollard, born 1877, Poplar, London. I am afraid that is all that infomation that I have.

If you can help I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
Sally

Re: George Frederick Nicholls

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 8:15AM GMT
Further to my previous post, I apologise for incorrect information. It must the the intense cold which we are experiencing here in the UK which has got to my brain!! My great uncle was not George Frederick Smart, but George Frederick NICHOLLS!!!! My grandmother, his sister, Florence Maud Nicholls, married and became a Smart and this confused me. Therefore the name to be searched is George Frederick Nicholls with a son, Ian Nicholls, who I believe would have been born in the late 20's, possible early 30's, but that is only a guess.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sally Chambers

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 8:28PM GMT
Hi Sally,
If you visited Georges son I'm assuming this was in England..so maybe checking for George's marriage and birth of child/ren in England.
FreeBMD should help
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

You might be able to find George on UK Outbound Passenger lists 1890-1960. (just google uk outbound as Ancestry doesn't allow the link)

It is always hard looking for someone in Australia until we get a hint as to which state they arrived.
There are quite a few George Frederick NICHOLLS on the Australian Electoral Rolls and way too many George NICHOLLS marriages to know if any are him. Deaths in each state are limited with the years that can be searched and he may have well passed after such dates.

Kellie

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 10:31PM GMT
Hi Kellie,

I got it so wrong as I said his name was George Frederick Smart, whereas it should have been Nicholls. His sister, my grandmother, was a Nicholls and married a Smart, so that is where the confusion arose.

When I said visited, his son Ian visited my parents on a trip to the UK when I was very small and I am 60 next year! As far as I know George was a merchant seaman and he may have stayed in Australia following a voyage. I don't think he married in England as I can't find any records.

Best wishes,

Sally

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 6:09AM GMT
Hi Sally,
Those little bits of info always help..
Now in 1958 there is an Ian NICHOLLS (born 1935) and Ann NICHOLLS who visit England.
Ian is a Naval Officer.
It appears they intended to stay in England.

The only other I can see was born 1909 and visited England in 1925.

Kellie

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 6:45AM GMT
Hi again,
Checking NSW (as the Ian who went to England in 1958 left from NSW) there is a death
26738/1958 NICHOLLS GEORGE FREDERICK 63 YEARS SYDNEY HOSPITAL SYDNEY

No idea if he is yours but hopefully others will have some ideas.

Kellie

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 10:36PM GMT
My father George Frederick Nicholls Born Cheschire 4 Aug 1914. Emigrated to NZ 1927 with his Mother Maud Marie Nee Oldacre Previously married to a Mr Barber. One son Alf Barber 6 years older than George. Maud married Thomas George Nicholls 26 Police Constable 9 Monk St Warrington Lancester on the 29 Nov 1915 Hope this helps We do not know what happened to Thomas George but know he was alive when wife and son left for NZ Contact me Grainger at nicholls.taupo@clear.net.nz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions