Search for content in message boards

Michael Moran (1833-1906) - Killara, Co. Westmeath, IR to NY

Michael Moran (1833-1906) - Killara, Co. Westmeath, IR to NY

Posted: 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Moran
Per a recent "American History," magazine, Michael Moran, (1833-1906), a native of Killara, Co. Westmeath, Ireland, emigrated to the United States with his family in 1850, settling in Frankfort, New York. At the age of 17, Moran worked on the Erie Canal, driving mules tht pulled the cargo barges. In 1860, he moved to New York City, where he purchased a one-half interest in a tugboat. Eventually, he owned a fleet of tugs and operated the leading towing company in the port of New York. Moran's legacy continues today; the company he began remains one of the largest tugboat businesses in the United States.

Re: Michael Moran (1833-1906) - Killara, Co. Westmeath, IR to NY

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2002 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could you please let me know if Michael Moran lived in Brooklyn NY and might of had a niece, named Margaret or a sister named Margaret.. My grandmother was was born around 1872 or 1873 Her mothers name was Margaret Moran and her dads name was Patrick Durkin. I was told this Uncle had something to do with a boat, tug boat or etc. He also might of tended a bar or owned it. Thanks

Re: Michael Moran (1833-1906) - Killara, Co. Westmeath, IR to NY

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

You must be a cousin of mine. Second or third or something.

My great Grandmother is Margaret Moran. Her grandfather is Michael Moran, as far as I can tell. Not sure what her father's name is.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions