Search for content in message boards

John O'Connor, Fahaduff, Castleisland

John O'Connor, Fahaduff, Castleisland

Posted: 26 Sep 2006 4:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Connor, Horan
I am looking for brothers and sisters of my grandfather, John O'Connor, who lived in Fahaduff. He was the son of Thomas O'Connor and Johannah Horan. He was born on 14 July 1849 In Leayreagh, Scartaglen. He died on 26 Dec 1935 in Fahaduff. He was married to Mary Curtin of Knights Mountain on 3 July 1887. They had 15 childen one of them my father, Charles O'Connor. I know my grandfather had two brothers who went to Australia, Paddy and Terence. I know there must have been more children of Thomas O'Connor and Johannah Horan. I think some of them went to Chicago. I wonder if there were some who stayed in Ireland.

Re: John O'Connor, Fahaduff, Castleisland

judy (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2006 9:27PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2006 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: SULLIVAN CURTIN CONNOR CONNOR
My Great great grandfather was James O'Sullivan he was born in Fahaduff ,his parents were Daniel O'Sullivan married to Mary Curtin . James was born in 1824, he married Mary Connor they had 11 children all born in Loughfouder, WERE HE SETTLED AFTER GROWING UP . his father Daniel had a brother James called Jamie married to Winifred O'Connor, Daniel 's parents were Jeremiah O'S ullivan and Mary O'C onnor , Judy

Posted: 9 Nov 2006 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor/Curtin
Hi Judy,

Thanks for the reply. I think Loughfouder is near Fahaduff. Mary O'Connor, your great grandmother, could be related to my great grandfather, Thomas O'Connor. I don't remember any O'Sullivan's being mentioned as neighbors in Fahaduff when my father was growing up there. I'll have to ask my cousins who are still in Castleisland about that.

There were Daly's and Connell's and Lynches living there. The Lynches are still there.

You might already know this, but the barony of Iraghticonor in North Kerry is called in Irish Oireacht-Ui-Chonchobhair -- O'Connor's iraght or Inheritance.

Thanks again.

Maureen

judy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2006 1:37AM GMT
I have my family records from the family bible , records from Ireland , and i have about 40 cousins there in Castleisland Loughfouder Brosna and Knocknagoshel , about 10 i speak to ofton . My great grandfather 's brother Daniel O'Sullivan born 1861 ,married Catherine Sullivan daughter of Jeremiah Sullivan of Knights Mountain , her mother was Catherine O'Connor . My great great grandfather James O'Sullivan born 1824 in Fahaduff , he married Mary Connor and settled in Loughfouder were he died ,he had 11 children , 9 of his grandchildren are there in Ireland still in there 70's . There were Daily's on a few of my family baptism records as wittness . my e- mail is jbjudyb62649@aol.com

Maureen O'Connor (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2006 1:50AM GMT
You are so lucky to have a family bible with records. It saves so much time.

My grandmother, Mary Curtin, was from Knight's Mountain and there are still Curtins living there.

Do you live close enough to get to Castleisland? I am lucky to live in Connecticut, so I get to Ireland at least once a year.

I have cousins in Castleisland, although we are really scattered all over the world - America, England and Australia.

My EMail is mollys_nanny@yahoo.com.

I would love to find out if our O'Connor's or Curtin's are the same family.

Maureen

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 8:47PM GMT
Maureen and Judy,

You both mention the Daly name in Knocknagoshel. I am a Daly decendent and will be in Ireland the week of April 23-30, 2007.
Do you have any other info you can share with me so that I can locate the Birth, Baptismal records, Gravesites, or family homesteads.

Any insight would be appreciated.
andrea.daly-chappell@wolterskluwer.com

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 10:25PM GMT
Hi Andrea,

The Dalys that my father knew lived in Fahaduff, Castleisland. I have a cousin who would know any of them that are still in Castleisland. He is Terence O'Connor, Tralee Road, Castleisland. PH: 066-7141354. You can get birth and death records at the Registry Office in Killarney. You can also go to the Catholic Church in Castleisland. If your family was from Knocknagoshel try the Church in that village.

There is a monument in Ballyseedy, which is just outside Tralee, on the main Tralee to Castleisland Road. Eight members of the IRA were murdered there in 1923 by Free Staters. One of the men killed was Sean (John) Daly, one of the Daly's from Fahaduff.

You might want to contact Nory Leen, Phone 066-718-1296, in Tralee. Her mother was a Daly from Fahaduff.

Good Luck and Have a Great Time in Ireland!

Maureen O'Connor

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 1:43PM GMT
Maureen,
Thank you for the details. I spoke with Nory, but she does not beleive she is from the same Daly family.

I will take your other suggestions, as well. I appreciate your prompt reply.

Best regards,
Andrea

Posted: 14 Jan 2008 12:08AM GMT
Hello I am living in fahaduff castleisland and my next door
nabours were andy and mage daly but have died some years back their daughter breda still lives there she married peter galway

Posted: 14 Jan 2008 2:00AM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your message. I live in Manchester, CT USA, but I usually go back to Casleisland every year. The people who own the land that was my Grandfather's are the Crimmins. Mr. Crimmins is Jeremiah. The house my father grew up in is now gone, but we are always welcome to walk up to where the house once stood. You might know my cousin who is the only O'Connor in our family who is still in Castleisland. He is Terence O'Connor on the Tralee Road.

We are also cousins of the Curtins on Knights Mountain.

Maureen O'Connor
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions