Search for content in message boards

Death and Burial

Death and Burial

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 1:53PM GMT
I would like to know how others handle these two facts.

My question concerns the dates you put on these two facts. The death date is obvious, and easily found. However the burial date is not.

To keep the facts chronological in the timeline I have been adding two days to the death and using this as the date of burial. I know this probably will be wrong, but it puts things the proper order. (I find it difficult to go down the facts list and find some one buried before they died.)

How do others handle this?

It would be nice if FTM always put the burial fact after the death fact, so the would appear chronological in the list of facts.

Re: Death and Burial

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 2:16PM GMT
It is OK to estimate the burial date for people, but remember DON'T JUST ENTER A DATE unless you actually know the real date. Use the "EST" value before the Estimated Date you ar entering.

So if you add 2 day from the death to the burial I would:

DEAT.DATE 12 FEB 1857
BURI.DATE EST 14 FEB 1857

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:14PM GMT
If I did not know the Burial date, I was previously using "Abt (2 days after death date)" in the Burial Date field. I did this because I wanted to see the Facts listed in Chronological date order. (If I had the same year and place for both,then Burial seemed to sort above Death; However, I recently noticed that since I have been putting the Cemetery Name in the "Place" instead of the "Description", I no longer need to enter a date in the Burial Fact field, and the Facts appear in Chronological order. So, It must have something to do with the secondary sort order of the Facts.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:37PM GMT
If I do NOT know the date of burial, I will leave it blank.

I was raised in the mountains of Colorado, in the winter when some one died there was a funeral a few days later, but the burial may not have been until later in the spring.
The ground was just to hard to dig the hole. This was before the day of the backhoe and other machinery to move earth around.

Some areas today, still do not have burials in the the winter.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:52PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 4:52PM GMT
When I don't have a burial date but know they were buried I'll use "After Date-of-Death". It may not be correct if they were buried on the same day they died but it is close enough.

And the reverse is true. I know the date of burial so date of death is "Before Date of Burial".

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:19PM GMT
I assume you mean "AFT {death date}" where {death date} is a variable equal to the date of death for that individual.

This is a very exceptable solution as well. As is not entering a date. There is no requirment that a fact have a date AND place.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:58PM GMT
Of course. However, I don't do my own GEDcom coding so don't know the correct syntax.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 12:43AM GMT
Along the same line as someone passed away, but the remain was transported elsewhere (ex: home) for burial, accounting for the two different dates.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 1:56PM GMT
I use "Aft" whatever the death date is. Ex. Aft Jan 1 1881 and it works well for me and keeps in chron. order.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 3:48PM GMT
Just a question on the originally posted process

Genealogy is fundamentally:

1- Find a record of an event
2- Make a “copy” of the record and document where you found the record
3- Extract from the record the date of the event and place where that event occurred
4- Document the date and place of the event [And in the case of FTM 2012 a user would create a source name to do this and then document the event date and place of occurrence—using so called “source attributes”]

This process is used to prove to yourself and others that you actually have proof of what you are saying is true. [If this is not done then, over time, the data potentially can turn to GIGO and the user won’t know which data is true and which is not true

Some questions and statements

1- If, the original poster is making up [burial] dates how are they documenting their sources, since they have no record they can point to that shows [in this case] a burial date

2- The process used here is one of the reasons users should be careful of copying data from other user’s trees [It may just be made up data]

3- Genealogy is messy; users should not try to pretty it up by, making up data

4- If FTM does not provide a methodology for doing something the answer is not to create a [in this case a false] workaround, a better methodology is to send I an enhancement request to the development group explaining to them what you are wanting to do and ask them to develop some software to do it

per page

Find a board about a specific topic