Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Media Linking

FTM 2012 Media Linking

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

When I create a new source citation, I link relevant media to it. Then I link that citation to the relevant fact associated with a person.

SO... in People>Person for any particular fact you can see the Source, and the Media tab shows the linked media as you'd expect.

BUT... if you go to that same media in Media>Detail, you can see the people linked to that media but the linked facts are not listed.

It seems that if you link media to source citation, then source citation to fact, FTM doesn't automatically make the link between media and fact, which is quite annoying.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/advice on this. My tree is large with a lot of media, so going through individually linking each media to every relevant fact is not an option. Also, I'm concerned that this would make a lot of duplicates with media ending up linked to people twice.

It's not the end of the world and has never really bothered me before, but I'm curious to see if there's an easy fix.

Many thanks,
Jeremy.

Re: FTM 2012 Media Linking

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 6:46PM GMT
An alternvative: If you go to the Source Workspace, you will see both the person and fact for each citation. The same little icon for attached image (brownish-red book?) shows next to the name of the citation.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 12:44PM GMT
Exactly!...

Internally, FTM has made the link between media and fact, so why isn't this link displayed in the media workspace? It would be nice to choose a photo or document in the media collection and immediately be able to see which facts it's linked to.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:05PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 5:07PM GMT
Try this:

When you open the media workspace, you will be in "Collection View" (see the tabs at top: Collection and Detail.

Now, choose the Collection from the left hand side and choose the media item from the right hand panel.

Now, click on the "Detail" tab at the top.

You will now convert to the "Detail" screen for just that photo. In the lower left of that panel is the Usage report for that photo.

If the media is directly attached to five facts for that person, there are five lines showing each person and fact.

If the media is attached to a source citation, the name of the source shows in the name spot and the "fact" space is left blank. Now, double click on that source name and the source citation window opens up. You will note in the upper right of that screen a link that says "Linked to 152 facts". Click on that link and you will see the list of 152 persons and associated facts that citation is linked to.

Does that help?

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:18PM GMT
Ah yes, that gives me what I was looking for, thank you!

Strictly speaking, this solution tells me which facts the citation is linked with, not which facts the media is linked with, but if the media is linked to the citation it's effectively the same thing.

Many thanks,
Jeremy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic