Search for content in message boards

Can I port FTM from one PC to another?

Can I port FTM from one PC to another?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I did not see this covered in FAQ. I have FTM and a lot of media on a 64-bit Vista machine. I just got a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machine, which will connect with any machine on my home network as long as it is also Windows 7.

Do I need to buy another copy of FTM or can I download under the same license?

Presuming I cannot transfer files over the network, would appreciate suggestions for porting the FTM directory.

Re: Can I port FTM from one PC to another?

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 6:45PM GMT
How did you buy your current FTM and what version is it?

Regardless of the version, if you have the original CD, just put it in your DVD/CD drive and it will install on your new machine. If it is a really old version, you may have problems.

Data files (including FTM's data files) from your old machine under My Documents will transfer to My Documents under your new machine. I presume that can be done over the network - or with an external drive - or a direct pc to pc cable.

When you first open FTM in your new machine, you will need to use File > Open and browse to the file. After that, FTM will remember the last file used and open it automatically.

If you purchased via download, you should have the zip ftm file in your download folder. Find that zip file and transfer to your new machine and click on the file. It should automatically unzip and install. This file will need the updates since that version. I would go to Help > Check for Updates. If you can't find the zip file, I would call FTM and ask what to do.

As I recall, FTM's license is "one license for one machine", meaning, I guess, that they want you to remove FTM from the original machine. But, who will know if you don't?

The one thing you can't do is to be online from two computers with the same ancestry username at the same time. Ancestry.com will catch that and won't let the second computer in.

FTM software is not supposed to be networkable, but I'm no network expert to know exactly what limitations that means.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 6:56PM GMT
I copy and move FTM files and folders across my network all the time.

As for the installing, if you have the CD or "saved" and still have the downloaded files. you can install it on any machine that you would like.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 6:56PM GMT
" I just got a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machine, which will connect with any machine on my home network as long as it is also Windows 7."

I have my XP networked quite happily with my Win 7 Pro laptop - if I remember how I'll let you know.....

It is possible to load a the FTM program on a second computer - it worked for me. You can access the FTM trees via the network.

To transfer the tree to the new computer do a MANUAL backup to produce a zip file with .ftmb extension - it contains the .ftm file and Media folder containing all the media files. Copy this to a suitable folder on the Win 7 machine and open with FTM, locally or networked, saving the .ftm in a suitable location.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 10:07PM GMT
As long as you have the network security code you should be able to connect any computer to your network. Once on the lan, all of you need to do is to go to the set-up for the drive of interest and share that drive. You do not have to share the drives on both computers.

If the operating system on the one computer discriminates against some of the other operating systems, hook all of the computers to the LAN and make your primary shard disk on one of the other computers.

I have two computers with Window XP. My wife routinely connects her Nook to the lan. My children have various "superior" computers which they connect to my lan all of the time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions