Search for content in message boards

Problems with Places

Problems with Places

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am attaching a Screen Shot of the "Place" option in "Places in FTM 2012. I find this facility erratic and quite often FTM cannot find the correct location however can anyone tell me what the question mark beside each place name means please?
Attachments:

Re: Problems with Places

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 4:51PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 8:12PM GMT
The icon to the left of the entry means "Unrecognized place name".

That the listed name, "as is" does not agree with any entries in the places database. That said, is because them database is based on the "US Postal Codes", which as we know in not complete even today, let alone in the 1700's.

I have just learned to ignore it and use it as a Guide.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 5:20PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 5:32PM GMT
The question mark signifies that FTM has not been asked to resolve the place and/or it hasn't been resolved.

To see what is going on, right click on one of these place names. You will see a right click menu. One of the choices is "resolve" this place name. Choose that and see the choices that FTM gives you to "resolve" and "standardize" the place name.

It is up to the user whether to resolve it or not. For example, if you have a place name that is historical, the PNA will not recognize it. Some people will leave it alone (ie Ignore it in resolving), some people will create two facts - one to show the modern name, traceable on a map, and another to show the historical name. Others will use something like "Hoboken, formerly Smithville, Ohio" - which will not resolve.

The PNA is just a tool that is basically a spell checker and primitive county finder of CURRENT place names.

I have many question marks in my list of Place Names and don't worry about them. I know I've looked at them as I entered them and chose to leave them as I entered for whatever reason. Many times it is because there are 6 cities/towns of a given name in a state and I don't now which of the 6 counties mine belongs to.

BTW, there is a choice to "resolve all place names". This is a tool where you can resolve a bunch of place names at one time. I suggest you use this tool sparingly, if at all. There are good chances you might resolve something that you want to take back and can't when you resolve a whole bunch at a time. I think it's better to do them one at a time and think about them as you are doing them.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:09PM GMT
Thank you very much for your replies. I am in the UK. I have tried resolving one troublesome place name where clicking on the name brings up the wrong location. By adding England to the town and county I now get the correct location BUT the town now appears under England in the index as a sub heading and no longrer appears under the name of the town. That is odd because there are other towns that appear under "England" but they also appear in the index.

I guess I will just have to live with it.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 8:43PM GMT
If I am understanding you right, you are in the Place Workspace and are seeing some names that are resolved with the country in the name and you have opted to see the "heirarchical view" (see buttons at top of list).

If you opt out of "heirarchical view", you will see ALL the locations in city, county, state, country order. Again, use the buttons on the button bar to decide which view you want.

Once in "Heirarchical View" mode, you need to look under the Country to find your place if it has been resolved. If it hasn't been resolved, it will be listed with city, county, state in alpha order in the list.

Hope that makes sense.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 9:34AM GMT
Thanks so much. Yes I was in "heirarchial view". Opting out and resolving that particular place name has solved that problem.

Much appreciated.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 4:30PM GMT
I have yet to find how to turn on and off the "heirarchial view".
Please post the the steps needed to do this?

I am running version 21.0.0.723

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 4:30PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 13 Feb 2013 8:35PM GMT

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2013 5:04PM GMT
I have attached a screen shot. It is the yellow button on the left next to Places 739.
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 5:36PM GMT
I see no difference, where is the documentation using this toy?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic