Search for content in message boards

William Riley Miller

William Riley Miller

Posted: 15 Sep 2003 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Mar 2006 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Hedrick
I am looking to exchange information with anyone related to William Riley Miller (born Oct 5, 1849, died Feb 26, 1932) and his wife, Delitha Ann Hedrick/Headrick (born Oct 25, 1870, died July 6, 1948). They are supposedly buried at Crocker. They were married about 1885 probably in Pulaski County. She was his second wife.

According to the 1910 Cullen Township census, she was the mother of 12 children with 8 still living. I have the names of ten of these children: Gertrude C (?), Cora Belle (Sept 1889), Margaret Ellen 'Maggie' (Aug 1891), Floyd Albert (Dec 9, 1895), Edward Presley (March 18, 1899), Sodie Mae (1901), Henry D. (1903), Olive V (1905), Wissie (1907), and Charolotte 'Lottie' (1911).

Thanks. Bev.

Re: William Riley Miller

Shirley Miller Dunn (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2003 9:07PM GMT
Bev,

I am the great-grandniece of William Riley Miller. He was a half brother to my ggrandfather, John T. Miller. William's father was Isaac Miller and his mother was Elizabeth Wolfe, married May 9, 1847 in Osage Co., MO.

I don't know if I can help you very much, but I'd like to correspond with you. I don't have a lot of info on William Riley Miller but I have more on the Miller's. My father told me once, that he and Delitha lost a son. One of Delitha's brother's accidently shot him but I don't have anything further on that story.

Shirley
----------------------------------------------------
Obituary of William Riley Miller

Crocker News - March 3, 1932
Page 1, Column 6

Obituary

William Riley Miller, for many years a resident of Pulaski county, died at his country home February 26 at the age of 82 years, 4 months and 21 days. He was born in Osage county October 5, 1849. He married Deltha Hedrick and to this union 13 children were born, his wife and eight children survive him with three brothers and a sister, J. T. Miller, Samuel Miller, George Miller and Mrs. Isabel Saulsman. He also leaves one daughter by a former marriage, Ida Yeager. Mr. Miller united with the Baptist church 45 years ago and remained steadfast in that faith until the end, being a loving husband, father and brother, and a good neighbor.

Funeral services were conducted at Antioch cemetery Saturday, Feb. 27, by Rev. Chas. Moneymaker, burial being under the direction of J. L. Hoops & Sons.
-------------------------------------------
Obituary of John T. Miller

Obituary

John T. Miller, an aged and long time resident of this vicinity, passed away at his home southeast of Crocker Saturday at the age of 92 years, 2 months and 13 days. He was united in marriage to Mary Douglas, July 30, 1875, and to this union seven children were born, all of whom survive him. They are Mrs. S. B. Neander of Swedeborg, Mrs. Wood Carver of Waynesville, Mrs. Len Peterson, Walter and William of Rockport, Ill, Robert of St. Louis, and Everett of Crocker. He also leaves a daughter by a former marriage, Mrs. Mary Manes of Swedeborg. He also leaves two brothers and one sister besides other relatives and a host of friends to mourn his passing

Mr. Miller united with the Baptist church at an early age and remained firm in that faith until death. He was a veteran of the Civil War, enlisting April 5, 1861, and was discharged October 31, 1865, after more than four and one-half years in the union army.

Funeral services were conducted at the Crocker cemetery Sunday afternoon by Rev. Chas. H. Moneymaker, with the local Legion Post assisting. Crocker News.
---------------------------

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 2:20AM GMT
Shirley: Thank you so much for the obituary. I have forwarded this information on to two other gals who are descendants of an older half-brother of Delitha's.

Do you want any of the Hedrick information?

Bev.

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 7:24AM GMT
Hi Bev,

Yes, please. I will add your Hedrick information to my gedcom. You mentioned William Riley Miller had a first wife. Do you happen to have information on her? I don't know who she was.

I still have one elderly 2nd cousin, who lives in Pleasant Hill, Pike Co., IL, who remembers William's and Delitha's family.

Maybe you already have this bu here goes..According to the book, Pulaski County Obituaries 1902-1952, complied by Chris Rowell, Delitha Ann (Hedrick) Miller has an obituary published in the Pulaski Co. Democrat, page 6, July 15, 1948, b. 77y, d. July 6, 1948 m. Wm. R. Miller, 8 children living, 1 brother and 1 sister living.

From Tombstone Inscriptions of Pulaski County Combined Edition 29 Jul 1995, published by the Pulaski County Museum and Historical Society, Waynesville, MO:

Buried at Antioch Cemetery:

Miller, Delitha A.
1872-1948
same stone as William R.

Miller, Edward
1899-1971

Miller, Henry
1903-1914

Miller, Robbie
.. Oct 1971-Infant

Miller, William R.
1849-1932

Hedrick, Ida M.
14 Apr 1882-..Aug 1882
Dau of T. J. & M.

Hedrick, Infant
15 Mar 1879
Son of T. J. & M.

Hedrick, Margaret
25 mar 1869-13 may 1889
Dau of T. J. & M.

Hedrick, Mary
19 Jul 1847- No date
Same stone as T. J.

Hedrick, T. J.
6 mar 1836-18 Jan 1911
Same stone as Mary

Buried at the Crocker Cemetery:

Hedrick, Leonard M.
6 Feb 1907-25 Oct 1975

Hedrick, Marie M.
29 Sep 1911-No Date

Hedriek, Harriet
25 Apr 1886-23 May 1960

Hedriek, Marion F.
17 Apr 1882-11 jul 1975

Buried at Oaklawn:

Hedrick, Mary Ellen
1875-1954

Buried at Waynesville Memorial Cemetery:

Hedrick, Wm. Thomas
23 Mar 1885-6 Mar 1954

There are several cousins who are researching our Miller's, and we have records indicating a strong connection to them being Irish, and coming to the U.S. from County Londonderry, Ireland, after the Revolution, settling in Barren Co., KY., in the early 1800's, before migrating to Gasconade Co., MO. James Miller and Mary "Polly" West were the parents of Isaac Miller.

William Riley Miller had one full blooded sister and her name was Matilda Ida Miller b. abt. 1848. I am assuming that is who the daughter from his first marriage, Ida Yaeger, is named for.

William filed some affidivats on behalf of John T. Miller's Civil War pension file, but I don't think there is anything of use to you on the Hedrick's or personal information about William, other than he mentioned he was a brother and in another, he mentioned living near him for several years (can't recall the exact number -he does state when he moved to Pulaski Co., MO). If you think any of that would be of assistance, please let me know and I will scan copies for you.

I would be glad to scan a copy of William's obit and forward to you as well. Do you know of anyone who may have photos of William's family?

Shirley
s.millerdunn@comcast.net

Hedrick Obituaries

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 7:47AM GMT
Surnames: Hedrick
Pulaski County Obituaries, 1902-1905, Compiled by Chris Rowell:

Hedrick, James Joseph-b. Camden Co., MO-Oct 17, 1876, d. Sept 18, 1944 m. Ida M. TOOMS on DEC 18, 1901. 5 children living, son of Ike & Nancy Hedrick. Obit Date: Sept 21, 1944, published in the Crocker News.

Hedrick, Samuel-b. IN April 20 1865, d. May 13, 1946 son of Wm. H. and Ellen Hedrick. 2 sisters and 1 brother living. Obit Date: may 23, 1946, publsihed in the Pulaski County Democrat.

Hope this helps.
Shirley

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Miller, Hedrick, Routh, Kimmel, Gale, Page, Crawley
Wow, you just answered several questions as to where people were buried. Thank you.

The 1910 Cullen Township census states that William Riley's marriage to Delitha was his second and the number of years of this marriage was 24. Then in the 1930 census he states he 18 years old when he was first married and Delitha was 15. If you go by the 1849 on what you just sent from the cemetery, he would have been married the first time about 1867. The 1900 Cullen Township census states Wm Riley was born in November of 1852, and would put it at 1870 when he was married the first time. I have a date of birth for him of Oct. 5, 1849 which was calculated from his age in the obit and date of death.

The 1880 Cullen Township census lists a William Miller, age 31, MO, TN, TN, wife-Nancy, age 24, MO, MO, MO, children-John A, age 6, Idie A (female) age 3, and Willis M, age 1. Information that another lady sent me states that Ida married a Yeager.

As for the Hedrick line. Delitha Hedrick/Headrick was a daughter of William Henry Harrison Hedrick/Headrick and his second wife, Jemima 'Ellen' (Harris) Crawley. Wm HH's first wife was Julia Ann Page.

Wm HH was born about 1814 in Kentucky and died at Crocker on Dec. 3, 1895. He and Julia were married in 1833 in Greene Co, IN. She died before 1864 when he married Ellen on Apr. 21, 1864. Wm HH and Julia have two children buried at the Pleasantville Cemetery, Pleasantville, Sullivan Co, IN and I believe this is probably where she is buried. He patented 80 acres of land in the southwestern corner of Greene County in 1839 having moved there from Daviess Co. The land was about 1 mile east of the Sullivan Co line and 1 mile north of the Knox Co line.

Wm. and Julia had at least nine children. John M. (married Rebecca Padgett), Thomas J (1st wife Eliza Maxwell, 2nd wife, Mary Knowles, came to MO), Mills W (buried Pleasantville), William (buried Pleasantville), Sarah A. (married Wm Rooksberry), George Washington (married Anna Susannah Cupps, came to MO, then to CA), Mary A. 'Jane' (married Johnathan Knowles), Harriet (married James Anderson in 1882 in Miller Co, MO), and Henry.

The children of Wm. and Ellen were Samuel, Joseph Ely, Nancy A. (married William Henry Routh), Delitha, Ella May, Silvildia Ettabelle (married George E. Kimmel), Lucresia, Susan S. (married George W. Gale), Dessy, and Adron (married Cora E. Kimmel).

Ellen (Harris) Crawley was born (1900 census info) Jan. 1843 in Indiana and died at Alpena Pass, Ark. on May 23, 1907.

Wm HH was a son of Johan Peter Hedrick and I believe his second wife Mary (?)Tipton. Peter's first wife was Catharine Heck. Peter was a son of George Heinrich Hetrick of Berks Co, PA. Peter was born in Berks Co, PA and died between 1840 and 1850, probably in Greene Co, IN. Peter had two sisters, Catherine (married John Friberger), Maria Appolonia 'Abelina' (married Peter Feg), and Elizabeth; and two brothers, William (went to TN), and Johan Jost 'Joseph'. Peter and Joseph both went to Garrard Co, KY. Peter then went to Daviess Co, IN and then to Greene Co. Joseph left KY and moved to Howard Co, MO.

Hope this helps! Bev.

Re: Hedrick Obituaries

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hedrick
Shirley: Thanks for the info on Samuel.

The James J. Hedrick is some of the Camden Co. Hedrick/Headrick line, which I don't know if they connect into any from Pulaski Co or not, but I don't believe they do.

The Marion Hedrick who is buried at Crocker is the father of Leonard. According to the 1900 Jackson Township, Camden Co. census, and Marion is also a son of Isaac and Nancy.

I have not made any connection with these Hedricks yet.

Bev.

Posted: 16 Sep 2003 3:21PM GMT
Shirley: I don't think you need to scan William Riley's obit. I feel confident in your transcription. You might, when you have time, scan the Affidavit(s) from John T.'s pension file. It is an interesting bit of history!

I don't have any pictures of Delitha or William Riley. I'm sure there are probably some out there somewhere though!

Bev.

audrey ellis (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2003 7:39PM GMT
Surnames: Miller , Hedrick, Booker, Clark
Hi, Wm. Miller & Delitha Hedrick are my GreatGrandparents, their daughter Cora is
my grandmother , they are buried at Antioch cemetery down DD Hwy. outside of
Crocker, Mo. I would love to know more info about them my mother is still living
she could probably provide some info for you. Thank you if I can help let me know.
Audrey Ellis

audrey ellis (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2003 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2003 9:38PM GMT
Hi, Wm. Miller & Delitha Hedrick are my GreatGrandparents, their daughter Cora is
my grandmother , they are buried at Antioch cemetery down DD Hwy. outside of
Crocker, Mo. I would love to know more info about them my mother is still living
she could probably provide some info for you. Thank you if I can help let me know.
Audrey Ellis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions