Search for content in message boards

Florida Newsome Families....where did they come from?

Florida Newsome Families....where did they come from?

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NEWSOM, NEWSOME, ALFORD, WARD, DORTCH
Hello fellow posters!

I am researching Newsome family lines in Florida to see if any of them connect to my lines.
There seems to be a whole lot of Newsom/ Newsome's in North, West and Central Florida and I would like to see how they might be related, even distantly with my Newsome lines. I descend from Isaac and Mary Dortch Newsome through their son John. John had two families in the Putnam County, Georgia area. I have lots of info on the children of his first wife, Martha Alford, but not a whole lot on the second wife, Martha Wards children. These may, or may not be the Newsome families who moved into Florida, but it's a start. I would be interested in Florida Newsom(e) connections even further back that connect eventually to William the Immigrant (b. @1614,Eng., m. Penelope Ramsey.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks sooooooooooooo much in advance.

Re: Florida Newsome Families....where did they come from?

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 2:51AM GMT
Hi!
My dad was a Newsome. His name was Francis Aldine Newsome. He was from North Carolina. I am his daughter, Katherine. Don't know if we can be related? My email is: kat13tpa@yahoo.com

Katherine

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 1:52AM GMT
A lot of the Newsom's especially in Ocala, Fl are of my line of Newsom's

John Newsom from England m. Margaret Reason
son: William and Margaret Speece Newsom

Posted: 18 May 2012 2:08AM GMT
My GG Grandfather Levi Newsom was born abt 1802 in Putnam county Ga. Son of John and Martha. Settled in South Georgia and Madison County Florida. My G Grandfather was Newton J.Did your John and Martha have a son Levi?

Posted: 18 May 2012 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: NEWSOME, MOSELEY
Well Hello Cousin!
Levi & Mary MOSELEY NEWSOME had 11 children, one of which was Newton, b. Apr. 9 1856 in Georgia, d. Spt. 9, 1922 in Madison, Fla.
Newton's wife was Anna and they had a son, Eules(?) in about 1879 in Decatur, Georgia.
Thant's all I know about your/my family.
I sure would like to know who these people were!
'Who you are....
contact me at lifzgood2us at yahoo.com

Thanks soooooooooooooo much for the contact.
p.s. I LOVE old family pictures and stories!!!!

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Newsom,Berb
My gg-gp Holliday C. Newsom had a son George W. Newsom b-10-22-1860. Don`t recall all his kids but there`s 2 I think that worked for Western Union around Atlanta,Ga. One was Mossy Eugene Newsom and he went with his job to Hillsborough Co.(Tampa ?) He wed Agnes Berb. and had some kids. Found them in 1930 or 40 Fla. cen.Sorry I don`t have exacts handy. Be glad to help later. Sid N. in Ga.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: NEWSOM, CRAWFORD
Hi Sid:
I have a Holliday Newsom in my files, b. @1766,probably in Virginia. He was the son of Benjamin and Mary (Crawford) Newsom. Could this Holliday be a G GP of your Holliday?
Related in some other way?

Thanks,
Carl

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: NEWSOM
Carl,
Did you ever connect to Wm NEWSOM b c1614 Eng d VA?
I have much on this family, am decended WM>WM>Thomas>Jacob>Jacob>James HB>Henry>Andrew J>Ottis>Frederick, my grandfather.
The file is posted on Rootsweb.com, titled Newsom and Related Families.
Pat

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 7:02PM GMT
Yeah,
We think Holliday#1 b1766 and Holliday #2 b-abt 1816-19 may be father and son based purely on circumstancial evidence. Never have found proof,name or place for marriage of H#1. There`s only mention of a son ,John for #1 who was a minor at his dads` death in 1819. So our link to #1 is iffy but we for sure link to # 2. His 1st wife Penina Edmondson and he had Marcus Lafayette 8-12 1837,James T.& John Hiram 4-10-1840,Margaret P. 4-2-1843,Robt. A.2-8-1845, Daniel Columbus(Dock)12-31-1848, then wed Matilda A.Trimble 1853, Wm. Henry 2-8-1851,W.A.9-6-1854, Sarah Alice 5-28-1857,Charley Hollis(My G-gpa)2-28-1864,Catherine Louise 2-19-1868,Penina,1870, C.A., Junius 1873 and P.L. 2-6-1874. Holliday #2 lived in Morgan,Polk,Paulding and Dekalb Cos. of Georgia. Holliday #1 came to Ga. with bros.Carter,Peter and John abt. 1789 from the Isle of Wight and Surry co.of Va. Their dad was Benjamin son of Thomas b-1685 Sid N.

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: NEWSOM, NEWSOME, RAMSEY
Hello Patricia ;-)
I've only been able to trace the line from William & Penelope Ramsey, to James H.B. Beyond that there were no source records or citations anywhere that I could locate so I stopped looking into this line. If you have any documented descendants I would really wish to see what you have.
Our Newsom's were like lemming; all migrating together. A bunch of my direct line did this when they all went to Texas together.
Anyway, I'll look at your database and see what you've got.
Thanks soooooo much!
Please write back if you have any more thoughts! I would love to know more about Frederick, Ottis, Andrew & Henry!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions