Search for content in message boards

Ancestry World Tree (AWT) and RootsWeb's WorldConnect, The Same Database

Ancestry World Tree (AWT) and RootsWeb's WorldConnect, The Same Database

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 9:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
As far as I can tell there is no difference between Ancestry World Tree (AWT) and RootsWeb's WorldConnect. I have never posted any data to AWT only Rootsweb WorldConnect, but the data is on both web sites. I just did a slight modification to my data on Rootsweb and the data on AWT was updated automatically as well.
I have always thought the data was the same and it was on Ancestry so that "paying" customers wouldn't have to go to Rootsweb and do their searches twice.
As for OneWorldTree, read the info on these links:

"http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/about.aspx" and this
"http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/trees/owt/"

I have mixed feelings about the OneWorldTree. It looks like it could be a useful tool, but I don't really want to pay the extra 40 bucks for it.
David

Re: Ancestry World Tree (AWT) and RootsWeb's WorldConnect, The Same Database

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 2:02PM GMT
Hi David,

AWT and WC were combined into one master database a couple of years ago. Trees uploaded to either site can be viewed at both sites, i.e.
http://wc.rootsweb.com/~usercode
http://awt.ancestry.com/~usercode

However, the upload tools are different, and you can only edit or remove your tree using the tools at the original upload site.

OWT is sort of like the salad bar at the grocery store. You can buy whole fruits and vegetables from the produce section at a much lower price, then wash, chop and mix them yourself. Or, you can pay for the convenience of having them already cleaned, sorted and "ready-to-serve".

OWT does not change anything already available to you. It is just a "convenience" package.

Pat

Posted: 26 Apr 2004 7:27PM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2004 10:37PM GMT
It is another Ancestry rip off. Why would you subscribe to something that is free (for now, Ancestry owns that to) at roots web. You are right, update rootsweb and you update them all. Ask Ancestry what you gain from a suscription over roots web.

Posted: 27 Apr 2004 5:22PM GMT
Maybe I'm confused and someone from Ancestry can help me out.
I've submitted a gedcom through rootsweb that is available through either rootsweb or ancestry. Will this submission be on the One World Tree (without me overtly submitting a gedcom to OWT) since I've submitted one through rootsweb?
In other words, is what I've previously submitted that has/is available for free also going to be at a cost of $49.95 for 14 months of access. (An upgrade from the U.S. Data subscription is $39.95.)
Thanks in advance

Valorie Zimmerman (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2004 1:26AM GMT
Allen, you are mixing apples and oranges here. When you subscribe to Ancestry, you gain access to their various databases and search engines. On Rootsweb, all the data is USER contributed, not rented or bought as it is at Ancestry. You only need an RW account or subscription for the free lists, boards, and databases where you can later remove or change your data.

Users from both Anc. and RW have the same access to the GEDCOM database, and being able to chose how they wish to access it is a good thing for us all. People can choose the free Ancestry interface, the free Rootsweb interface, or the new paid way of searching. As far as I know, there are no plans to *charge* people for uploading their data, and Ancestry does not charge people to access user-contributed data.

Allen C Ackley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2004 1:59AM GMT
What they are doing is taking my data base from roots web, incorporating it into their new system and charging people to use their new system to access my data base, at least that was what they were going to do until I removed all my data bases from roots web and world tree. Tell me this would this new system work without contributed data bases, and if so where would Ancestry get the information. No matter how much lipstick you put on this pig it is still a pig. It is abuse of our trust

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 2:52AM GMT
Exactly, Allen -- they are charging people, in your words, "to use their new system to access" your database. Free access is still available, as it has been since they merged the databases, from both Rootsweb and Ancestry, for free.

They do not charge you to display your database, and people can access it for free if they choose to do so. ONLY those who chose to pay for the new service are charge to access your data, should they have a match with your data. Seems to me that you are cutting off your nose to spite your face! By removing your database, neither the "free" users NOR the "pay users" will have access to your data -- and you will find less cousins.

But of course, you are free to make that choice.

And you are right -- the new system would not work without contributed data, at least not now. I understand that they are working on adding census and other data to the 'stitching'. But rather than an "abuse of our trust" -- I see it as just another way for more busy people to access our data. It is not necessary to put lipstick on the pig -- I smell bacon!

Allen C Ackley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2004 3:19AM GMT
Then I would assume Ancestry will do the right thing and point out in the same size letters they advertise this "service" that this data is also available on Rootsweb for free seeing as how Ancestry owns Rootsweb as well. I would also assume Ancestry will poit out what one is paying for is a system that simpifies the search, comparison and manipulation of existing free, donated data bases. As to cutting off my nose, hardly, with the prolifration of people wholesale downloading GED's from sites like Rootsweb and resubmiting it under their banner as their own reseach, Rootsweb has become a receptical of redundant and duplicated information. In other words no quality but plenty quantity. I use myself as an example, at least three persons I know of have wholesale downloaded and resubmitted in their name my enire 55,000 name data base. And this is what your system will be using as a source. Garbage in garbage out. But as they say buyer beware. If the average potenial customer submitted a question to your customer service department and used their satisfaction with the result of this inquiry to determine if they should enter into a binding 1 year contract. What do you suppose the result would be. I would suggest anyone who reads this try it.

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 5:54AM GMT
Allen-

I think it has been clear from the start that what OWT is doing is providing a TOOL, an advanced search engine, as a convenience for people who would rather have the work taken out of accessing and searching for data matching their criteria. Why would anyone assume that the database that have always been accessible and searchable would no longer be available same as always? Why should anyone have to advertise that the status quo remains?

Also, as to people who download your entire database from WorldConnect--they can only do so if you permit downloads of your complete GEDCOM. That is your option.

Joan

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 3:15PM GMT
Your tree will continue to be accessible without charge at
http://wc.rootsweb.com/~usercode
or
http://awt.ancestry.com/~usercode

No action is required on your part to be included in OWT. At the end of the Preview period, existing trees will automatically be indexed by the new OWT search engine.

Those who wish to pay for the convenience of having the OWT search engine do much of the research work for them can do so, but your tree can still be searched for free using the standard search engine.

Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions