Search for content in message boards

Mawson, Hart, Ridley, Wensley, Armstrong, Smith, Atkinson, Thompson, Thwaites families

Mawson, Hart, Ridley, Wensley, Armstrong, Smith, Atkinson, Thompson, Thwaites families

Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Mawson, Hart, Ridley, Wensley, Armstrong, Smith, Atkinson, Thompson, Thwaites
I am researching my family in Hastings County. Mostly around the area norht of Belleville - Madoc, Ont.

Armstrong and Smith families

Posted: 14 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: armstrong, smith, donaldson
Marion:
Seen your message.Was talking my sister Jean McLeod and she said to reply. I am interested in my family history and along with Jean we are working on the Donaldson side of the family, and the Ray, Armstrong etc. on mom side as well. Also I'm doing my husband side. I'm enjoying it.
I have some information on the Armstrong and Smith but probably the same as you have, as I have gotten some from Lawrence Donaldson, Marg Rosen and Jean.
Talk to you later.
Nellie (Donaldson) Parks

William Hale Smith & Catherine M. Lacey

Posted: 15 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Lacey, Kenney, Dreblow, Haase
Margaret,
I see you're researching SMITH around Belleville. Have you ever came across William S. Hale SMITH in your research? He's my gggrandfather and I'm having trouble finding to his parents or siblings. Thank you!

1 William S. Hale SMITH1
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Birth: 25 Jul 1835, Sidney, Hastings, ONT, CAN
Death: 4 Aug 1900, Blue Earth, Faribault, MN
Burial: Riverside Cemetery, Blue Earth, Faribault, MN
Occ: Carpenter, Mill-Wright
Reli: Methodist
Father: SMITH
Mother: UNNAMED

!CENSUS: 1861 Canada West, Sidney County,
Line 19-22: Name: SMITH, W.S.H., Occup: Carpenter, Born: Can West, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 26, Sex: M, Marital status: M. Also enumerated with
SMITH, Mrs. W., Born: Ireland, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 28, Sex: F, Marital status: M.
Charles, Born: Can West, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 03, Sex: M
Helen, Born: Can West, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 01 (b. 1860), Sex: F. Census
Family on Lines 19-22, Lived in frame house of 1-1/2 stories, single family: 2 males, 2 females. Livestock: Oxen 1, value $20, Land 1/4 acre, Capital Investment $300.
Returns-1861-Canada West (Reel C-1057) Reach Township, Enumeration District No. 3.

Went to California in 1854 during the "Gold Rush". Went by ship to Panama and walked across the Isthmus going to and coming from California. Stayed two years and returned to Rochester, NY were he married in SEP 1856.

From the obituary of William Hale Smith:
"Died at his home in Blue Earth, Minnesota, August 4, 1900 of disease of the heart superinduced by an accident nearly three years since. William Hale Smith aged 65 years 10 days. In making this announcement we are called upon to chronicle the demise of another of Blue Earths early and highly honored citizens. Wm. H. Smith was born in Sidney, Hastings county, Ontario, Canada July 25, 1835. He was of a thrifty family and at an early age learned the trade of carpenter and mill-wright. In 1853 when he was only 18 years of age, he made the long , tedious and dangerous trip to California, where he remained for two years in the mines. His trip both coming and going was made by the way of the Isthmus of Panama. He was a keen observer of men and affairs, and his descriptions of his early travels and the hardships and dangers encountered on the occasion were always deeply interesting. Shortly after his return-in Sept. 1856 he was married at Rochester, New York to Miss Catherine M. Lacey. They resided in Port Perry, Canada until June 1865, when with his wife and children he settled in __Blue Earth. Here he remained until his death. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith - three sons and three daughters, five of whom, with his devoted wife survive him. One child died in infancy. all were present during his last days. The children are C.E.A. Smith, of Morris, Minn - Mrs. F.H. Kenney of Waverly, Iowa - Mrs. W.G. Dreblow, Mrs. Michael Haase and George S. Smith of this city. The funeral occurred on Monday Aug. 6th at 2PM at the M.E. church. Rve F.E. White officiating. Thus has passed to his reward, another of those hardy pioneers who helped make this section blossom as the rose. For 35 years his good workmanship and strong right arm have helped to build up the many pleasant homes in this city and vicinity and during all that time his good example and sturdy manhood have done their full share towards building up a higher type of citizenship. His voice and vote and if need be his strong right arm, were ever on the side of morality, sobriety and good citizenship. He was kind and loving husband and father and in tu rn was the head of as loving and devoted a family as ever clustered around a happy hearthstone. They have the sympathy of all in this hour of bereavement."

!CENSUS: 1900, 12TH Census of the United States, Township of Blue Earth City, City of Blue Earth, Faribault County, Minnesota. Enumerated on the 14th and 15th days of June, 1900. By Calvin Silliman. Supervisor's District No. 2, Enumeration District 80. "William "Place of Birth of Father-Canada (Eng)" "Place of Birth of Mother-Canada (Eng)" "Year of Immigration-1865". Also living in the household is a granddaughter, Ora. K. (Smith), born APR 1887 in MN, father born in Canada, Eng, mother born in MN. Microfilm in poss of Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN, copy also in poss of Michael Haase, Eden Prairie, MN.

Spouse: Catherine M. LACEY
Birth: 10 Aug 1837, IRE
Death: 12 Jan 1922, Blue Earth, Faribault Cty, MN
Father: LACEY
Mother: UNNAMED
Marr: Sep 1856, Rochester, NY

Children: Charles E.A. (1858-)

Helen (1860-)

Katherine Caroline (1870-1964)

George Sylvester H. (1875-)

Edward

Helen Amelia

Mawson family UK > Canada

Posted: 8 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2004 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: MAWSON
Interested in your MAWSON links. I have several connections between UK and Canada.

Mawson family from England

What a strange site! I wrote a response and it was automatically deleted!
I'll try again...
I am interested in any MAWSON links to UK (Cumbria/Lancashire in particular). I have a number of Canadian links.

Interested in Mawson links

Interested in your MAWSON links. I have several connections between UK and Canada.

Daniel McCann and Margaret Boyle

Posted: 24 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: McCann, Boyle

Hello Nellie
I clicked on your message because your name was Nellie. We have a picture of a Nellie given to my husband's grandfather in the 1920's I wasn' thinking and clearly and thaought maybe you were named after your grandmther perhaps?
Also a relative on the list is also researching Armstrong and I don't know why, so I thought I's slick and see if I could find anything out.
But the good Lord up above must have been showing me the way.I have been trying to find a way to reach Marg Rosen for about a month. Does she have an email address? Are you a friend of hers? Can you put me in touch with her? I am researching the McCann name in Hastings County and I was told that she and a Dennis Huffman are also researching this name.
I have my husband's grandfather Gerald B McCann as the son of Daniel McCann and Margaret Boyle born Dec 3, 1894.
Can you please help me locate her? I emailed Dennis Huffman and he never answered my email.
I am getting nowhere in my search and I really need some help from someone who is also researching that name.
Thank You
Cindy Elschide
Northwest Indiana USA

William Hale Smith & Catherine M. Lacey

Posted: 25 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: smith, lacey
I saw you had the surname "Smith" in your message. Is this a Hastings County Smith? I'm trying to get over my "brick wall." If you know of my Smith please let me know. Trying to find William Hale Smith's parents or siblings.

1 William S. Hale SMITH1

Birth: 25 Jul 1835, Sidney, Hastings, ONT, CAN
Death: 4 Aug 1900, Blue Earth, Faribault, MN
Burial: Riverside Cemetery, Blue Earth, Faribault, MN
Occ: Carpenter, Mill-Wright
Reli: Methodist

!CENSUS: 1861 Canada West, Sidney County,
Line 19-22: Name: SMITH, W.S.H., Occup: Carpenter, Born: Can West, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 26, Sex: M, Marital status: M. Also enumerated with
SMITH, Mrs. W., Born: Ireland, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 28, Sex: F, Marital status: M.
Charles, Born: Can West, Rel: E. Meth, Age next birthday: 03, Sex: M

From the obituary of William Hale Smith:
"Wm. H. Smith was born in Sidney, Hastings county, Ontario, Canada July 25, 1835. He was of a thrifty family and at an early age learned the trade of carpenter and mill-wright. In 1853 when he was only 18 years of age, he made the long , tedious and dangerous trip to California, where he remained for two years in the mines. Shortly after his return-in Sept. 1856 he was married at Rochester, New York to Miss Catherine M. Lacey. They resided in Port Perry, Canada until June 1865, when with his wife and children he settled in __Blue Earth.

Spouse: Catherine M. LACEY
Birth: 10 Aug 1837, IRE
Death: 12 Jan 1922, Blue Earth, Faribault Cty, MN
Marr: Sep 1856, Rochester, NY

Children: Charles E.A. (1858-)

Helen (1860-)

Katherine Caroline (1870-1964)

George Sylvester H. (1875-)

Edward

Helen Amelia

Mary Mawson m. Frederick Thiers Clark

Helen Toner (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Mawson, Clark
Do you have any information for Mary Mawson (she had a sister Elizabeth) Mary came from England and went to Canada late 1800's or early 1900's. She married Frederick Thiers Clark. Then they moved to New Zealand

Mary Mawson Thurling

Posted: 16 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MAWSON, THURLING
Sorry, although I have a few Mary's, only one of them is recorded as being in Canada: Mary Mawson, born abt.1890 in Manitoba. She married a Mr.Thurling.
Do you have more details such as places in England?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic