Search for content in message boards

Turkeytown, Chief Turk

Turkeytown, Chief Turk

sharon Manalang (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sweat, baggett, yaroboro
I am looking for information on a Gilbert Sweat and his son James Sweat. James son john Sweat declared that he was decendent from gilbert Sweat from St. Clair Al and that he was Three quarter Cherokee. Now I would like informtion on gilbert he married a rebecca yaroboro and james moved to GA and married a mahaley Baggett. i have no listing on a census for them but, the application stated the information contained above. please help thanks. they were from turkeytown and his cheif was named turk. If any information please email me at evgrn@aol.com

Re: Turkeytown, Chief Turk

Mary Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2001 3:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SHORTNACY, O'SHONACY, HELMS, HELLUMS, COATS, BUSHYHEAD, RICE, SURRATT, RAT, RATCLIFF
Turkeytown is in Etowah Co. AL near Gadsden. There is a Turkeytown Methodist Cemetery.

Glenda (Dizzy24322@aol.com) wrote: "From some of my cousins, Turkeytown was supposed to been started by my ggreatgrandfather who was Charlie Helms. The cemetery there that you are referring to, some of my relatives are buried there as well. The original name of the Shortnacy's was O'Shonacy. They were full blood Cherokee, even though some have different opinion, depending on how they perceive the info. recorded. My great aunt told me the original name before she died and told me how much Indian we were. The Helms name original was Hellums, but the Indian name???? My other side was Bushyhead, Rice, Surratt, original name Rat or Ratcliff....Some of my family is buried on Coats road there in Etowah Co. Does anyone have the history of Tuirkeytown? Turkeytown, I have been told, was started by my ggreatgrandfather there. I have never heard of the story and would like for someone to share it with me, please? I would like to hear from anyone who has interest..."

Michael Tucker (mtucker@cybrtyme.com) of Gadsden, AL wrote: "Coats Bend is in the same area as Turkey
Town...some might even say that they are one in the same....Coats Bend was settled by two brothers, and Gideon Edwards Coats, around 1825. When they removed to the area from Kershaw Co. SC, it was still under the control of the Cherokees, leaving some to believe that these Coats were of Cherokee descent..."

W. C. Murphy wrote: "Turkeytown is in Etowah Co. AL is north of Gadsden about 3 miles...the cemetery is well kept. I live near there. Turkeytown was named for a Cherokee Indian chief by the name of Little Turkey. About 1838 the remaining Indians were sent on the Trail of Tears. Every fall the Indian descendants meet at the southern edge of Turkeytown for a special day. This is on Hwy. U.S. 411 and there are a type of monument there telling about the Cherokees."

Jim Coker (hony1@msn.com) wrote: "The Gadsden Library also has a good book on Turkeytown. If you go to Who Where (A Lycos.com site) on the web it will pull up a good map of the relationship of Turkeytown and Gadsden."

To recapitulare: You mentioned Chief Turk, and W. C. Murphy mentioned Little Turkey. Hmmm.....

Please post on an Etowah Co. AL board.

(Cherokee Co. AL is near Etowah Co. There used to be a Baine Co. in that vicinity that isn't there anymore.)

Mary in TX

per page

Find a board about a specific topic