Search for content in message boards

Hassell/Curtin/Rock families, Cork City

Hassell/Curtin/Rock families, Cork City

Posted: 25 May 2004 6:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on the family. I know that Amelia Hassell married Richard John Hassell
I also know that Amelia And Richard were cousins - their fathers were Jacob and Edward Hassell respectively.about 1850's. I am looking for info on their parents. The LDS site suggests they were christened/baptised in Cork. Jacob's wife was Mary Anne Curtin. Edward married Margaret Rock.

Re: Hassell/Curtin/Rock families, Cork City

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: Rock. Allison
on my grandmothers side of the family there are Rock relatives, I think mainly in Co. Cork. It has been passed down that the Rocks were originally Duroc surname, being descendants of Napoleons A.D.C Geraud Duroc. I have hit the proverbial brick wall and seem to be going round in circles. I would be interested if we are talking about the same Rocks. My grandmother married Archibald Allison and lived in Cork city.

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: Curtin
I have a Curtin connection from Cork City. Ellen Curtin married John Murphy in Cork City and in 1868 gave birth to my g-grandmother, Mary Murphy. Mary emigrated to the US via New York City and married Dennis Doyle, the couple moved to Brooklyn, NY and eventually settled in Greenwich, Conn.

Wish I had more info to share!

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 3:37PM GMT
Information is very thin on the ground!
I went to Cork with my mum last Easter to do mor ancestry. Unfortunately didn't find much info about the Rock side of the family.
My g-g-grandfather was Archibald Rock married Margaret Palmer who is believed to come from St. Helena ( I have a photograph of her)They had daughter Margaret who married Edward Hassell in Cork city.
In 1870 Archibald Rock was mentioned in the Cork City directory as being 'shopkeeper' on French's Quay in Cork City- maybe suggestion of the French connection ???
In the BMD there was a mention of these Rocks:
Birth 1777 - Patrick
1828 - catherine
1829- cathrine
1867 - Thomas Charles
Marriage
1851 - Patrick
1874 - George

I hope this may give you a lead, but its interesting anyway!

Posted: 31 May 2009 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: palmer/rock/Hassell/Curtin
I have discovered that Richard Rock, Margaret Palmer are also my ancestors! We must then be related. I have the family tree in my laptop in files going back to approx 1815 when Margaret Palmer was born in St. Helena.

Posted: 31 May 2009 7:50PM GMT
Hello then relation ! Wow that's really exciting! So where do you fit into this? I would love to have any info you have about the ancestors we share - I don't know if you feel you can after all your hard work.
My mum will be thrilled to bits when I tell her as we felt we were hitting a brick wall with this side of the family.
You've made my day
Kath

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 6:27PM GMT
hello Kath how are you? I will have a lot more time this weekend to correspond with you properly, its so hard being in full time work during the week! Briefly a little about myself. I live in Staffordshire, England and it is on my maternal side where the connection is going back to Margaret Rock. My mother was Eileen Allison born in Cork 1916. Her mother Margaret nee Owen married Archibald Allison. You might find it easier to contact me by e-mail at: lyntone1@live.co.uk. I would be interested to know where you are and where your connection is. Regards, Lyn

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 8:18PM GMT
Hi, my mother in law, Evelyn Deane tells me her mother, Rebecca Coombs's maiden name was Hassell and she has heard the names Rock and Curtin mentioned. Any more info? Joan Deane

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 9:05AM GMT
Just to let you know I have invited you to look at my family tree on ancestry. Yes, Rock and Curtin are there too .
Kath

Posted: 25 Oct 2009 10:16PM GMT
Hi Kath, it seems that Madge was a second cousin to my mother in law. She is staying here in Dublin with us for the weekend, but will look up some photos when she goes home next week and be back in touch. Thanks for so much info. Till next time,JoaN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic