Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2008 - trouble getting on the internet

Family Tree Maker 2008 - trouble getting on the internet

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 4:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am running Family Tree Maker 2008 on my Windows 7 laptop.
The laptop is connected to the internet via a wireless
home network. However, I cannot connect to the internet
through my FTM, by clicking on a green leaf beside a name.
When I click on a leaf, I get a pop-up that says, "No
Internet Connection".
How can I get connect to the internet through my FTM
software?
Thank you.

Re: Family Tree Maker 2008 - trouble getting on the internet

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 2:33AM GMT
I've got the same problem!

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 1:18PM GMT
Check ALL of your protection programs including the Firewall and make sure that you are not blocking FTM's access to the internet.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 2:29PM GMT
This is the same answer we got from the FTM help line..nothing
worked. The final solution was that we had to up-grade to
FTM 2012. When we did that, everything worked. Good Luck.
EW

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 3:30PM GMT
I have occasionally had this problem and found that closing FTM and re-opening usually solved the problem. Sometimes I have had to re-boot the computer.

Usually, for me, this has occurred when there has been a brief power outage or even a brief loss of internet connection with FTM open. FTM does not seem to recognize, easily, when power or internet is restored. Closing and re-opening seems to trigger it to reconnect.

Good luck!

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 10:27PM GMT
What happens when:

1) File > Go Online ?
2) Exit & Restart FTM
3) Exit programs & reboot machine

You didn't say if you were online with your browser or wifi or whatever, on that device. Was your browser on-line and FTM off? Try 1) above.

It may be a wifi problem. Sometimes I lose a wifi connection for no apparent reason at all. It often reconnects if I wait and try later, or force the WIFI to recognize my device again.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 11:49PM GMT
My whole problem started when we had a break-in and my laptop was stolen. We had XP and FTN 2008 on that laptop. When the insurance company replaced the stolen laptop, XP was not available, we had to get Windows 7. We had backed up all the 10 years of genealogy research that was on FTM 2008, thank goodness, and we were able to download it all on the Windows 7 new laptop, but there was a problem. Windows 7 did not recognize my FTM 2008 software and let me go out on the web to use with my searching. My husband and I spent several weeks back and forth with the FTM staff and we tried all the pages and pages of things to try that they sent us by email. We also have a company that backs up our computers...they spent a couple of weeks trying to find the
answer, too. I talked to several people at FTM and the last lady (they were all wonderful and tried very hard) said that she was going to get me to try one more thing and if didn't work then she would suggest, as a last resort, to upgrade to FTM 2012. Well, that is what we finally had to do. We got the new FTM 2012 software from FTM for a discount because we had bought the FTM 2008 from them. And it is working grand!! I never had any problems when loosing power, or anything else. I have recently seen info that indicates that Windows 7 and 8 are compatible with 2012...but they are not compatible with FTM 2008. I am not an expert on computers, but my husband is and we felt we had spent enough time trying to fix this problem and we needed to just move on and upgrade. We don't think spending any more time trying to fix the problem would have mattered...it's a software problem. The FTM 2012 is great...very similar to FTM 2008 and I am pleased. Just be sure you have all your settings fixed right...no problems now. By the way, from our break-in we have learned to write
down ALL serial numbers of everything...they caught our guy
and he is awaiting sentencing because he tried to pawn an
item of ours and that triggered a notice to the police dept. as to it being stolen. Write down the serial numbers
and put them in a safe place so you will have them if necessary. I hope you won't go through the same nightmare that we have experienced.
EW

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 11:51PM GMT
We did that and it still didn't work.

Posted: 1 May 2013 12:14PM GMT
Can you access the Internet via IE, without using FTM?

Posted: 1 May 2013 2:41PM GMT
Yes. All else worked/works just fine.
Problem solved.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic