Search for content in message boards

Brouwers Family Tree

Brouwers Family Tree

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2012 4:44AM GMT
Surnames: Brouwers
I am still hitting my brick wall after all these years. So far I have found the following and verified the names and dates. Although I do have my doubts about the birth dates of Wilhelmus and Bernardus.

Lawrence Arthur Brouwers (my grandfather)
Born: 23 Jan 1906 Cedar Rapids, Boone, Nebraska
Death: 16 Apr 1978 Guthrie Center, Guthrie, Iowa
Married: Helen Viola Fox

William "Willem" "Wilhelmus" M Brouwers (my g-grandfather)
Born: 23 Sep 1861 Grathem, Netherlands
Immigrated: 20 Feb 1893 From Rotterdam to NY to Nebraska
Ship: Werkendam
Death: 23 Oct 1941 South Holland, Cook, Illinois
Married: Mary "Nellie" Petronella Vander Loop - 1895

Leonardus "Bernardus" Brouwers (my g-g-grandfather)
Born: 31 Jul 1827 Heel, Limburg, Netherlands
Death: 29 Aug 1901 Roggel, Limburg, Netherlands
Married: Maria Josephina Peeters

Jan Brouwers (my g-g-g-grandfather)
Born: Unknown
Death: Unknown
Married: Anna Catharina Ramaekers

I am looking for info on Jan Brouwers.
There are a lot of Jan Brouwers on the Genlias.nl website and I have spent months trying to cross reference, but I am still unable to verify any of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, Dan Brouwers
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/26715849/family

Re: Brouwers Family Tree

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 7:01AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2012 7:03AM GMT
There is more on Genlias, the thing is there are name variations, misspellings, and you get one letter out of place and results will not come up. With very small towns like Grathem for example you can just search for the last name of the bride and only come up with a few results.

The only thing thats a little iffy on your tree is Wilhelmus (William) who came over as a single guy apparently. I think you have the right guy, I couldn't find any death or marriage records, and the fact that the immigrated could explain that. The origin Boggel possibly wrongly transcribed as Roggel seems very possible. R's and B's can be very close in handwritten documents.

This is what I found:

Source Civil register - Birth
Archive location Regionaal Historisch Centrum Limburg
General Number of finding aid: 12.036
Item number: 3
Municipality: Heel en Panheel
Type of record: Geboorteakte
Record number: 22
Registration date: 31-07-1827
Child Bernardus Brouwers
Date of birth: 31-07-1827
Father Jan Brouwers
Mother Anna Catharina Ramakers
Item number: 21
Municipality: Grathem
Type of record: Overlijdensakte
Record number: 27
Registration date: 01-12-1847
Deceased Anna Catharina Ramakers
Date of death: 01-12-1847
Place of death: Grathem
Father Godefridus Ludevicus Raemakers
Mother Anna Maria Heuts
Partner Joannes Brouwers
Relationship: echtgenote
Item number: 21
Record number: 21
Registration date: 14-10-1857
Deceased Joannes Woltherus Brouwers
Date of death: 14-10-1857
Place of death: Grathem
Father Mathias Brouwers
Mother Anna Maria Middens
Partner Maria Catharina Ramaekers
Relationship: wdnr
Item number: 3
Record number: 23
Registration date: 30-06-1823
Deceased Mathias Brouwers
Date of death: 29-06-1823
Place of death: Heel en Panheel
Father Wolterus Brouwers
Mother Margarieta Baaten
Partner Anna Maria Middens
Relationship: echtgenoot
Item number: 2
Type of record: Huwelijksakte
Record number: 0
Registration date: 19-04-1819
Groom Walthier Brouwers
Place of birth: Panheel
Bride Marie Catherine Ramaekers
Place of birth: Grathem
Father groom Mathias Brouwers
Mother groom Anne Marie Middens
Father bride Godfroid Louis Ramaekers
Mother bride Marie Heuts
Item number: 4
Record number: 11
Registration date: 02-03-1837
Deceased Anna Maria Meedens
Date of death: 01-03-1837
Place of death: Heel en Panheel
Father Nn Nn
Mother Nn Nn
Partner Mathijs Brouwers
Relationship: wed

The first is a baptism extract for Walther/Wouterus he was baptized I think 15 Mar 1785 at Heel, ???, Hanheel.

The second document was also submitted, and I will look at it later, there should be more background information.

To go further back you a good place is to look through the church records for Limburg and they have been transcribed and are online at:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A//ap...

Attachments:

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 3:10PM GMT
About the documents that needed to be submitted as conditions of the marriage.
1) baptism extract for Joannes (Jan) Wouterus/Waltherus, and he was baptized on 15 Mar 1785

2) just a document attesting to the fact that all the conditions are being met for the marriage it gives the following information:

a) baptism for Joannes Waltherus, farmer, son of Mathias and Anna Catharina Meddens, farmers who live at Panheel.

b) baptism for Maria Catharina Ramaekers, farmer, live and born at Grathem, baptized 2 May 1788 daughter of Godfriedus Ludovicus and Maria Heurts. There is a word associated with Maria Heurts, and I am not sure if it means she wasn't there, or that she is not alive anymore. (aslivige, aflivige?

Just looking at your tree you can tell that the branch for the Ramakers can't be right. Bernardus Brouwers was born in 1827, and you have the father of his mother, Jan Ramakers born in 1832.

If you are stuck with the father/groom, with the Dutch records never giving married names only maiden names, look for the mother, or bride. Sometimes it is better anyways since the marriage is more likely going to take place in the hometown of the bride.

good luck

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2012 3:24PM GMT
Just to show you how I found Godfridus Ramakers death record in Genlias.

Many different variations of Godfridus so I just went with the first three letters "God", and selected "begins with", it would also catch the records that have Godfridus Ludovicus.

I never bothered with the last name, there aren't going to be that many Godfridus dying in the time period I am searching for such a small town as Grathem.

We know he was alive at the time of the marriage, but that he was already fairly old so I searched for 1819-1840.

Attachments:

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 8:32AM GMT
Hi Luke,

Thanks for all the great help!

I must have approximately 120+ pages of info on the Brouwers name and you just helped me make the tie between three generations. I layed my pages on the living room floor like a puzzle and added the info that you gave me to try and tie together as much as possible. It took me several days to cross reference everything, but it was well worth all the work.

I believe that the origin Boggel for Wilhelmus Brouwers was wrongly transcribed. His father was Bernardus Brouwers and he died in Roggel. I have info on other family members and I notice the town of Roggel is listed several times.

Thanks again for all the help!
Dan Brouwers

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 8:52AM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2012 8:55AM GMT
Surnames: Brouwers Ramaekers
Hi again Luke,

You are absolutely right about me having the wrong info for Bernardus Brouwers' mother and her father. I knew the info couldn't be right, but I was focusing on the Brouwers name first.

So I deleted the ancestors for Anna Catharina Ramaekers and added the new info for her father and mother. I have a lot of pages printed up on the Ramaekers, but I am putting them at the bottom of my todo list for now. I will eventually cross reference what I have and verify the Ramaekers family, but that will probably be the last part of the tree that I work on.

And thanks for the great advice about searching with the maiden name of a mother or bride. I would have never thought about that.

Thanks, Dan Brouwers

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 11:01AM GMT
....The first is a baptism extract for Walther/Wouterus he was baptized I think 15 Mar 1785 at Heel, ???, Hanheel....

it says: ..... Heel tot Panheel

greetings,
Irma

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 2:09PM GMT
I Googlemapped it, I think it is Heel Pol Panheel. The word "aflivige" I had trouble with before would seem to be aflijvige and it does indeed mean she passed away. Maria Heurts can easily be found in the Limburg church records, the link I gave before. I will let the OP look those up to get used to using the records.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 1:12AM GMT
Hi Irma and Luke,

In the second document, the first few lines of the main paragraph is referring to and saying the equivalent of.... "Coming henceforth to the Great Port of Panheel".

And the next few lines are listing the persons coming forward for verification; and it also list the places (current residence) that these persons are proving (or swearing to) to be from.

Over the years the Dutch language has been peppered with influence from the Spanish, German and French that I know of. So when translating Dutch records it is important to check these languages also.

I am so glad that you replied to my original message Luke. Your advice has already been a great help for me. I have found that I can usually find the info that I need quicker by searching FamilySearch.org first and then use that info to narrow my search on Genlias.nl.

I should also add that when searching Genlias.nl I have better luck of finding my info by translating the Dutch language instead of using the English version of the website. It seems that not all of the info comes up when using the English version of the website.

Thanks again for all the great help!
Dan Brouwers

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 9:38AM GMT
Hi Dan, Luke is right it says Heel Pol and Panheel.
The sentence you are referring to says:
den ondergetekende Meyer der gemeente van Heel Pol & Panheel certificeert bij deze.....= the undersigned mayor of the municipality Heel, Pol & Panheel here by certifies....
There was no port in Panheel :)

greetings,
Irma

per page

Find a board about a specific topic