Search for content in message boards

Alexander Sutherland

Alexander Sutherland

Pamela Spivey (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2004 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2004 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland
Most of what I have about Alex. Sutherland is a family story that says he came to this country to fight for the British and decided to stay. If I get other info I will let you know. I do have a list of his children, etc. nfeild@Yahoo.com

Re: Alexander Sutherland

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland
I hope you are still on this site, looking at the date of the original post!
What sort of dates are you looking at with regard to your ancestor? The family story you mention might tie in with an Alexander Sutherland I have who married my gt gt aunt Annie Clarke in 1888. From census records I have now discovered that she lived with a man called John Lucas from approx 1898 onwards. When she did marry him in 1908, she used her maiden name, so I believe that at point she did not know if her first husband was alive or not, I heard from another contact that he had gone off to fight in the army and also Canada was mentioned.
Could this be the same person?

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Alexander Sutherland
Alexander Sutherland was my 4th great grandfather Born in Scotland 1743 - D 1843 in Grayson County VA. He came to America during American Revolutionary War to fight for British as story goes but stayed and changed sides (not proven yet) but that is family legend

Your Alexander Sutherland may be a decendent of my 4th great grandfather Alexander from Scotland. Alexander had a son named John Joseph Sutherland (my 3rd g-grandfather) He in turn had a son named John Alexander Jesse Sutherland (John Alexander was brother to my 2nd g-grandfather Francis Marion Sutherland) John Alexander Jesse Sutherland (1837-1897) I do not believe is the one you need because he was married to Susan Jane Hackler who was his only wife and outlived him.

But it could come down the line from Alexander Sutherland (most likely about the age of one of his grandsons which John Alexander Jesse Sutherland would be)

I did find an Alexander Sutherland of the American Revolutionary War (from New York area) when doing research for the Daughters of the American Revolutionary War for connection of my Alexander Sutherland to the War. But mine is from Virginia and never settled in New York. Always was in Virginia (Grayson County, Virginia)

Keep in touch because if you are looking for a Virginia connection it most likely is with a decendant of this Alexander Sutherland from Scotland. Pam Spivey maps131@charter.net

Posted: 18 Sep 2010 1:16PM GMT
Thank you for such a prompt reply, and giving me a breakdown of your own Sutherland history.

My Alexander was born in 1869, in South Ronaldsay Orkney Islands. His parents never married, his father being Alexander also, and his mother being Jessie Mackenzie. On the 1871 Scotland census, there is a nearby local farmer named Alexander Sutherland with his family,so I have assumed that this is the father, named on his birth record.

I cannot really see an immediate connection, and there are so many Alexander Sutherlands around, it's difficult to know who belonged to who. But you never know what might turn up in the future. I would just like to know what happened to Alexander after he left his family.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know if i find anything of interest to you

Lynn

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 7:12AM GMT
Thank you so much, Lynn, for letting me know about your Alexander Sutherland

The Orkney Islands are off the North of Scotland as I am sure you know -- and I understand that my Alexander Sutherland came from Caithness County, Scotland. Cathiness is the County in the Northeast of Scotland and so the Orkney Islands are just to the north of that. Most of the Sutherlands came from Sutherland County and Caithness County Scotland -- both in the North of Scotland.

I was on a cruise a year ago to the british Isles and stopped in the North of Scotland at Caithness County. It was amazing to be there and I could see why the Scots wants to settle in Virginia and the mountains of Virginia and North Carolna because it is so much like Scotland.

So your Alexander Sutherland could still be related some way to my Alexander Sutherland except mine was about 100 years older than your relative it seems

Have a great day -- have been in Seattle and Vancouver and just flew back last night

Pam Spivey

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 6:21PM GMT
It's a great feeling to be able to walk the same land as your ancestors isn't it? I get a shiver down my back every time I go somewhere they have lived.
I would love to go to Nebraska where some of my ancestors emigrated to in the 1800s...one day!
Also Ireland is on my list of places to visit.
If I ever discover what happened to my Alexander I will certainly let you know

best wishes
Lynn

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 7:28PM GMT
I do agree with you, Lynn. It was amazing to be there and know I was in the very area where they must have lived.

I learned a bit more about Sutherlands on my that August 2009 trip when I was in Scotland -- and I visited the Clan Campbell Castle on the Western coast of Scotland

One Countess Sutherland (the 7th I think I recall) married the Duke of Argyle (which is the Campbell Clan)

This made a strong alliance -- and I visited Argyle Castle (mid Western Coast area near Oban, Scotland) and saw the portrait of the Countess Sutherland. The Campbell family still lives there and I saw the current Duke and Duchess and their children coming home after church (it was on Sunday) and the littlest boy had been christened that day.

This Duke of Argyle (Campbell is the family name) is very close to the current Queen of England.

So the Sutherland Clan has very serious connections to the Campbell Clan. One of the tour guides there spent a good amount of time talking to me about this.

All very interesting and exciting, too.
Yes, thank you for keeping in touch with me, Lynn and I, too, will let you know if I find something else.

Pam Spivey

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 9:06PM GMT
Pam, that must have been a very moving trip for you, an opportunity to really touch base with your roots.

I can't imagine now, not knowing where I originate from, researching my tree has been a personal voyage of discovery...everyone should do it!

best wishes
Lynn

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 7:29AM GMT
Hi folks,
With all due respect to Pam, can I correct a few things in the last posting.
No Countess of Sutherland married a Duke of Argyll. There have been a number of marriages between members of the Sutherland and Argyll families but not between two of the figureheads. The daughter of an Earl or a Duke is simply called a "Lady" before her Christian name and the family surname.

Clan Campbell is the name for an extended group of families, the head of which is acknowledged to be the Duke of Argyll. Many branches of Clan Campbell "have" castles though few are still habitable. The same applies to the Sutherland Clan. The Duke of Argyll lives in Inveraray Castle when he is in Argyll. The Countess of Sutherland does not live in Dunrobin Castle preferring House of Tongue on the north-west coast.

There is no such person as the Queen of England. Elizabeth II is Queen of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories overseas. Great Britain comprises England, Wales and Scotland. She is only Queen because the King of Scotland's daughter's grandson who was a German inherited what by then had become the Crown of Great Britain. Until the Queen Mother joined the royal family in the 1920s, the last English monarch in the Queen's ancestry was Henry VII of England, the first Tudor king, it being through his elder daughter Princess Margaret who married James IV of Scotland, that their great grandson James VI also became King of England in 1603 when Elizabeth I, the last of the Tudors died. James VI's parents were Mary Queen of Scots and Henry Lord Darnley who were both grandchildren of Princess Margaret Tudor from her first and second marriages respectively and as such first cousins.

The Sutherlands are considered close to the Royal Family because William 5th Earl of Sutherland married as his first wife Princess Margaret Bruce, youngest daughter of Robert the Bruce. His second wife from whom most present day Sutherlands are descended was Lady Joanna Menteith who herself was a member of the extended Scots royal family and whose father was the man who captured William Wallace and handed him over to Edward I of England.
Both the wife of the 2nd Duke and 3rd Duke were successively Mistress of the Robes to Queen Victoria which in essence made them the second most powerful woman in the world at the time. In the film "Mrs Brown" the Duchess of Sutherland is the woman who was always at the side of Queen Victoria and it was the 3rd Duchess, Annie Hay Mackenzie who had the Earldom of Cromartie restored to her in her own right and through whom Clan Mackenzie has its present chief , her great great grandson John Mackenzie 5th and 8th Earl of Cromartie. The 5th Duke of Sutherland was also one of the closest friends of Edward VIII later Duke of Windsor and in the film "Chariots of Fire" it was the Duke who was pictured beside the then Prince of Wales trying o persuade Eric Liddell to run on a Sunday.

The Campbell link to the royal family again most recently is due to Queen Victoria. Her youngest daughter Princess Louise married the then Marquis of Lorne who became 9th Duke of Argyll. However as they had no children, the subsequent dukes including Torquil the present one are descended from the 2 younger brothers of the 9th Duke. Back at the time of the Stewarts, an illegitimate daughter of James V named Jean Stewart became Countess of Argyll and hence half-sister to Mary Queen of Scots.
I hope this helps,
Regards,
Mark

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Davies , Sutherland, Tyler, Howells
Thank you for sn incredible insight into the Sutherlands.
I have just begun to research my Sutherland lineage and being the last remaining family member on my fathers side, am finding it incredibly difficult to trace other members of the family, Sutherlands from Manchester UK.

My late sister, recently passed away in South Africa, had many records of family members. These have unfortunately
vanished.

Again. Thanks for the insight.

Regards
per page

Find a board about a specific topic