Search for content in message boards

Tripp Coat of Arms

Tripp Coat of Arms

Walter C. Burgner (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2006 3:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Oct 2011 4:01PM GMT
I would like to get a copy of the Tripp coat of arms of John Tripp who was an early settler of Providence, Rhode Island.

wburgner@woh.rr.com

Re: Tripp Coat of Arms

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2006 10:29PM GMT
I have arms recorded for three entries (for two different arms) in the surname of TRIPP, but none for a John TRIPP. To assist you, we need more information. Just a few questions:-
1. Have you had a look at http://www.sog.org.uk/leaflets/arms.html yet?
2. How do you know that he had a coat of arms?
3. Do you know his paternal ancestry?
4. Any dates or place of orign?
If you can provide some of that info, we'll see what we can find for you.

Walter C. Burgner (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 4:56PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2011 4:01PM GMT
I sincerely appreciate your offer to help me in my quest to find the Tripp coat of arms.
John Tripp was born in 1575 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England and died sometime after 1609 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island. He married Isabel Moyes-Moses in 1609, she died in 1678 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island. The father of John Tripp was Nathaniel Tripp 2 born in1549 in Skiebeck, Lincolnshire, England and died sometime after 1600? Nathaniel Tripp 2 was the son of Nathaniel Tripp 1 born about 1523-1524 in Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, England and died after 1575 in Skirbeck, Lincolinshire, England. You can E-mail me direct at wburgner@woh.rr.com

G2 (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 3:25AM GMT
Your reply gives me the impression that you haven't yet had a look at that URL I gave you in my previous post.
[ http://www.sog.org.uk/leaflets/arms.html ].

Also, I have to ask again, how do you know that he had a coat of arms?

These are important queries because most emigrants to the Americas from Britain were working-class people looking for a better life who didn't bear arms. I would suggest that only a VERY, very few might have been entitled to bear any arms at all. The records of the two TRIPP arms that I have are from Kent and Somerset. However, I'll make some enquiries about some other possibilities.

However, you also have to realise that the possibility of this John Tripp about whom you are enquiring actually having arms is somewhat remote given that most of the landed gentry of Britain stayed in Britain because they were landed gentry and had no reason to pack up and go elsewhere.

Posted: 9 Dec 2006 8:00PM GMT
>I would like to get a copy of the Tripp coat of arms
>of John Tripp who was an early settler of Providence,
>Rhode Island.

A search through Crozier's "General Armory" (of early American arms), Bolton's "American Armory" (ditto), and even the more specialized "A Roll of Arms Used in the English Colony of Rhode Island in New England, 1636-1776", came up with no entries for John Tripp or even the surname Tripp. I have to believe from this that there is no evidence that John Tripp used a coat of arms.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

David

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 10:45AM GMT
I have a picture of a church window in New Zealand with the actual Tripp Coat of Arms for The John Tripp The Founder Family. You can contact me at atripp62@yahoo.com

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 10:47AM GMT
I am a Tripp Direct Descendant of John The Founder and I have a photograph of a Church Window with the actual Tripp Family Coat of Arms belonging to John The Founders Family Line. You can contact me at atripp62@yahoo.com

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 3:57AM GMT
If the afore-mentioned John Tripp came from England, he woukld not have had 'family arms' as there is no such thing as 'family arms' in the UK. In the UK, Arms are granted to a person and can be inherited, in the main, only by his male line descendants that still bear the original Tripp surname.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions