Search for content in message boards

Program Suggestion

Program Suggestion

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a problem with multiple listings of the same person. All these new people are hard to remember when adding someone.
If the program on here could make a popup box, warning you that "This person is already listed in your tree", this problem would be eliminated.

Terry

Re: Program Suggestion

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 3:02PM GMT
Do these extra people come from merging? Or entering people by hand?

If by merging from trees, I suggest you cease and desist from merging family trees.

If by hand or merging entries from databases, I suggest you be more careful. Check spelling variations and reasonableness of birth dates with others in your file before entering someone.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 12:07PM GMT
I was suggesting a change to the program. Not asking for strongly worded corrections to what I'm doing. But, be that as you may, thanks for replying.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 2:36PM GMT
There are so many things that can make two people, who appear to be the same, different. I have four generations of John George and many generations of William. Each of these groups of people have the same last name. I know of one situation where people have worked for years to separate two James whose last name and birth dates were the same.

While computer programs have been written to find possible matches, they are nothing but a flow diagram of rules. They will NEVER be able to replace the personal input to make decisions like the one you are requesting.

The only way to make these matches are to analyse every new person you add to your tree. Genealogy progresses with research not by merging trees.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 4:33PM GMT
You can run "find duplicates" after each merge or entry. It's already automatically on when you make manual entries.

But,it is very imperfect and will not find all duplicates.

There are people known as John William at age ten and William John when adults. Known as Willie as a youth and Willis or William as an adult. Estimated ages from known facts for the the same person entered twice may be too far apart for the program to catch. Maiden names known from one merge, and not from another. Smith might not catch Smyth. Hallock won't catch Hollock.

etc, etc, etc.

If the program is made "looser", you will get too many false positives and spend all your time investigating "possible" dupes that aren't really dupes, that it simply is not worth it.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic