Search for content in message boards

Local .ftm file deleted! It really does happen!

Local .ftm file deleted! It really does happen!

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 5:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Feb 2013 12:14PM GMT
I never thought this could happen! I was ready to quit for the day (11:30 pm 2/18/13) and started my final sync for the day. I clicked on "continue" after the summary log came up (with about 6 changes from my computer only), and FTM crashed. As usual, I clicked on my tree shortcut so I could compact the file to get it ready for tomorrow, and the file wasn't found! It's actually been deleted from my local hard drive! My online tree is fine (except for those last 6 changes), and I have an auto backup just before those changes (whew!), but wanted to check to see if anyone else had the same thing happen. Or if anyone has any [helpful] suggestions. I'll be calling the help desk tomorrow!

Re: Local .ftm file deleted! It really does happen!

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 8:54PM GMT
It could be that only the shortcut link to the original file is corrupted.

Try checking your hard drive for the original file, not just the shortcut to the file.

Good luck!

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 9:12PM GMT
Trust me, I've done a thorough search. And if I (or my local system???) had deleted it somehow, it would be in the Recycle bin, which it is not. I've talked with the help desk, and they'll be discussing it at their meeting tonight - to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Glad I had a very recent backup!

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 4:31AM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 6:01AM GMT
Yes it happened to me. I sync with online Ancestry so I take regular backups on an external hard drive.

I can't remember what I was doing at the time but poof! My whole tree was gone. So it has happened to at least one other person.

Oh, yes, I remember one thing. NEVER use File/Close.

File/Exit is OK, closing by the right corner X is OK, double clicking on a different tree is OK, but File/Close does not apparently write the auto-backup file.

Thankfully, restore backup worked and the tree resumed syncing without a problem.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 2:05PM GMT
Before you completely give up on the file, do a search on the drive on which the file was located. Search "All files and folders" leave the file name blank and search for the "date modified". Make the date range cover the time the file went missing.

Many times when I think I loose a file, I find that it is in some way got miss filed or renamed.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 2:56PM GMT
I agree, Keith. Especially with a crash, the file name might have been corrupted.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 4:05PM GMT
Suppose you are correct. Would you rather use that file or your good backup??

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 4:44PM GMT
Point is that in the crash the contents may not have been corrupted, it just was saved in the wrong locations.

If you find it, the first thing you should do is compact it, since this, as I understand, correct problems in file structure.

Then transfer the parts to a known good file ie an old back up.

If you find the file unstable, print the material with everything to a PDF file and copy the material from the PDF back to the good database. This should scrub the file of bad characters

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 4:45PM GMT
Didn't find anything that could be the deleted ftm file using date and time search, especially considering the size of my ftm file. Could it have been deleted as a temp file when I closed Firefox?

I did find 3 files related to the fatal sync process: IncrementalDownload log, IncrementalDownload_Data, and import.log. Could these be of any value to the Ancestry tech folks?

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 5:13PM GMT
Since you were using FTM and it uses a built in version of IE, then your closing of FireFox, would have NO affect.

Also note, that the current Windows search ONLY searches what area are included in the "Indexing", so it just may not find the file as your default folder my not be in the Indexed area.

What is the location of the folder that you save your FTM files? Give us the full path it it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions