Search for content in message boards

File linkage errors (FTM 2012 file maintenance)

File linkage errors (FTM 2012 file maintenance)

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've checked the support FAQ, but find nothing about file maintenance dealing with links. Compact apparently re-indexes and compresses the FTM database. However, I have yet to find any method of checking links within the FTM file.

I moved a GEDCOM to FTM a few months back. The past month I began noticing linkage problems. Running a descendant report I found a 1950s member of one family listed as the father of a 1700s member of another family. This is the second time I have found such an error. And yes, I do routinely compact the file

Concerned, I exported a GEDCOM from FTM and into another genealogy software that does have file maintenance tools to check linkages. That software identified 77 additional linkage errors.

I like the interface and capabilities of FTM 2012. However, if I cannot be secure in knowing that my data is being maintained correctly by the FTM database (checks and maintenance of the database), the appearance and capabilities are of little value.

Re: File linkage errors (FTM 2012 file maintenance)

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:23PM GMT
Publish >
Collection > Data Errors Report

Once there:

1) Select your dataset.
2) Click on furthest left button "items to include"
3) You will see about a dozen "person" things to check/uncheck and about two dozen date criterioa to check/uncheck.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:18AM GMT
Thank you for the response. However, I am not seeking a method to test for data entry errors. As I wrote, I am seeking an internal FTM utility that checks and corrects the structure of the database as have other genealogy software.

Wrong linkages, such as the example I gave where a 1950s individual was linked as the parent of a 1700s individual, is what I need to test for within FTM. I did not make such a linkage. The linkage was present in my FTM database after FTM failed during a compact operation.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:21AM GMT
You database may be corrupt. You should go to a backup and confirm that the problem does not exist in the backups. You may have to back several versions of backups to find a good backup without the problem.

Regards,

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:44AM GMT
Thanks to the two who responded. From those responses I am gathering that FTM does not the have standard database management utilities found in other genealogy software. Such utilities are essential in maintaining the health of any database, genealogical or otherwise. Certainly no business would accept the corruption or lost of data, nor reverting to an earlier version of their database as a viable solution because basic database maintenance utilities are not included with the software.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:20AM GMT
Edited: 22 Feb 2013 7:06AM GMT
Thank you for posting this question. I ran my FTM file through another GED program and got 44 pages of errors. I like FTM enough that I am going to fix them by hand.. but I appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

Update February 21:
Now down to 10 pages most of which is custom facts that I need to fix or complete and people with first names only that I need to hunt down.

Most errors could have been lived with but there were three marriage records that were totally compromised. The worst one was where the daughter of my 2 great grand uncle on my mothers side ended up married to my 4th great grandfather on my father's side. Go figure. That didn't show up in FTM, I had to run it through a PAF file to find the error.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic