Search for content in message boards

exporting to a thumb drive

exporting to a thumb drive

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to make a banner for a family reunion. I cannot get Family Tree Maker to export or copy the descendent tree to a thumb drive. Office Max needs a pdf file to print from. Any thoughts?

Re: exporting to a thumb drive

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 10:20PM GMT
Create your chart

Go to Share

Export as a one page PDF and save to your thumb drive

Note that the PDF limit in FTM is about 5 metres

For large charts you will have to use a third party banner chart creator like Charting Companion of Family Tree Factory

John D

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 10:49PM GMT
Where is "Share", I don't seem to find it within the "File" options?

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:23PM GMT
You'll find it on each of the workspaces (People, Places, Media, Sources, Publish & Web Search) in the top right hand corner.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:26PM GMT
The share button is in the upper right of the Report page you are looking at. You can elect to send or export "publish" files. If there is an option to send a file-type, but not export, all is not lost. You will often be given to save the file before sending it, or you can just send it to yourself.

I would save the pdf to my c drive and use Windows Explorer to move or copy it to the thumb drive.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:36PM GMT
It is next to the Print Button top RH side

John D
Attachments:

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 11:40PM GMT
i must be using a very old version of FTM, because any of the items you both have mentioned are not in the upper right, or anywhere that I can see. I am trying to export a descendent tree, the only options on the right hand side have to do with how the tree looks. I am offered the opportunity to save as a pdf file, but then the message comes up that FTM.exe is not working.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:00AM GMT
Pleaze advise what version of FTM that you are using?

John D

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:17AM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2013 12:18AM GMT
I believe you can "Print" to a PDF file but not "Share" to a PDF file. This is due to the limitations of FTM version 16 (2006) and the newer operating systems.

If you'd like to send your gedcom, I still have a Win98SE and XP version of windows operating.

Regards,

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:34AM GMT
"Print" to a PDF file but not "Share" to a PDF file

Actually its "export to PDF" in versions 11 thru to 16

You can only print to PDF if you have a third party PDF creator like Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader) or one of the numerous T/P ones like Nuance, Nitro, PDF995, etc

John D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic