Search for content in message boards

NEED MALE DESC. OF TOLIVER HUGHES (1803-?-VA-KY) TO 1930 OR LATER

NEED MALE DESC. OF TOLIVER HUGHES (1803-?-VA-KY) TO 1930 OR LATER

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HUGHES
Trying to connect our Hughes family to another Hughes family. Both came from Floyd Co., KY. Right now, I'm just interested in the males that would, of course, carry the Hughes name.

Re: NEED MALE DESC. OF TOLIVER HUGHES (1803-?-VA-KY) TO 1930 OR LATER

Posted: 2 May 2010 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
I have researched Hughes in Eastern KY. Toliver was a brother of my husband's ancestor. Don't know if I would have any names that you need but will help if I can.

Posted: 6 May 2010 3:32PM GMT
Would you let me know what you have on Toliver's line? Do you have a Christina as his daughter? I'm the only one who seems to although I have no proof. Actually, his siblings would be nice, too. I don't have them.
I'm trying to find the parents of Samuel Hughes, b. abt. 1850, Ky. I thought the family would have stayed in the Floyd Co. area but the one family (S.B.Hughes) is all over the state and S.B. is from Maryland which would not fit in with my other Hughes family. Do you have anything on a Samuel Hughes (had a son Eugene Wallace Hughes).
Thanks so much for your reply and help.
Sue

Posted: 2 Jul 2010 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Hicks
I am a male desc. of Toliver Hughes. Toliver was my great grandfather My line traces back from me to my father Marion Hughes,(b. 1917) his father Johnny Jackson Hughes, (b 1870) his father Joseph Hughes, (b. 1850) who was one of the sons of Toliver Hughes (b. 1807) and Elizabeth Hicks. I have three brothers Charles Jobie, Melvin L. and Marion Ray Hughes that are male descendents. Jobie has a son, Kyle, who lives in Kansas that carries the name.
Toliver had other sons, as did his father Daniel, that would carry the Hughes name. Toliver, along with several family members migrated to KY in the 1830's. They first settled in Letcher and Perry Counties and later Daniel and Toliver moving their familites to Floyd County in the late 1840's.
Joseph Hughes and several family members moved to Indian Territory (OK) in the 1890's and died and was buried there. He had a son that stayed in OK and has family still living there.
I hope this was of some help.

What Hughes family are you trying to connect?

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 5:54PM GMT
I was trying to connect the Isreal Hughes family line. I thought maybe he was also a son of Daniel and therefore, Toliver's brother.
I also need to know if you have a Christina Hughes/Reffitt/Sheperd/Hale as Toliver's daughter. She was called Catherine in one record. She was married to John? Sheperd, oh, I forgot John Johnson, too, Harrison Reffitt (had a son named Toliver) and William Hale, althought I can't find a marriage for them.

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 9:55PM GMT

DANIEL HUGHES and SARAH TYREE:
Children of DANIEL HUGHES and SARAH TYREE are:
i. SAUSANNA HUGHES, b. Abt. 1838, KY.
ii. WALTER HUGHES, b. 1841, KY; m. OMA; b. 1844.
Children of DANIEL HUGHES and ELIZABETH WARD (?) are:
2. iii. TOLBERT HUGHES, (?) b. 1803, VA.
3. iv. JAMES HUGHES, b. March 14, 1806, Russell Co., VA; d. October 18, 1890, Letcher/Knott Co., KY.
4. v. TOLIVER HUGHES, b. 1807, Russell Co., Va; d. 1880, Floyd Co., KY.
5. vi. DANIEL JR. HUGHES, b. 1810, Jefferson, Yancy Co., NC; d. Bet. 1861 - 1918, VA.
6. vii. ELIZABETH HUGHES, b. 1816, Russell Co., Va.
7. viii. JOHN M. HUGHES, b. 1818, NC; d. October 21, 1887, Morgan's Creek, Lawrence Co., KY.
8. ix. GABRIEL HUGHES, b. 1820, Russell Co., VA; d. Abt. 1860, Letcher Co., Ky.
x. KATHERINE HUGHES, b. 1829.
xi. MACLE HUGHES, b. 1830.

Toliver had 15 children spread among at least three wives. Christena was the oldest child, born in 1832 and died Bet. 1900-1910.

CHRISTENA4 HUGHES (TOLIVER3, DANIEL SR.2, THOMAS1) She married (1) HARRISON REFFETT November 09, 1847 in Letcher Co., KY, son of DANIEL REFFITT and MARY. He was born Bet. 1820 - 1825 in Floyd Co., KY. She married (2) JOHN SHEPHERD November 02, 1849 in Lethcher Co., KY. She married (3) JOHN JOHNSON September 08, 1850 in Letcher Co., KY. She married (4) WILLIAM W. HALE Abt. 1852.

Child of CHRISTENA HUGHES and HARRISON REFFETT is:
i. TOLIVER REFFETT, b. May 19, 1849.
Children of CHRISTENA HUGHES and WILLIAM HALE are:
ii. CATHERINE5 HALE.
iii. LILBURN HALE.
iv. ROBERT B. HALE.

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 12:11AM GMT
The thre children you've listed last belong to William and his first wife, Nancy (last name unknown but may be Hanby)
1850 United States Federal Census
about Nancy Hale
Name: Nancy Hale
Estimated birth year: abt 1824
Birth Place: Kentucky
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): District 1, Letcher, Kentucky
Family Number: 110
Household Members: Name Age
Wm Hale 27
Nancy Hale 26
Catherine Hale 4
Lilburn Hale 3
Robert Hale 1
Polly Hale 65

Christina's children are:
James Buchanan Hale
William W.
Arrilda
Winfield Scott Hale
Emma F.
John Thomas Hale
Etta E.

All the boys, except for William, went to Michigan and all the girls died young, never married. There is another Emma who is Burris Hale's daughter, who did marry.

In the 1880 census, Toliver Reffitt appears as head of house, so evidently the enumerator assumed the children had his last name.

1880 United States Federal Census
about Christiana Hale
Name: Christiana Hale
[Christina Hale]
Home in 1880: Old Town, Greenup, Kentucky
Estimated birth year: abt 1837
Birthplace: Virginia
Father's birthplace: Virginia
Mother's birthplace: Virginia
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
Toliver Riffert 30
Christiana Hale 43
Buchanan Riffert 23
William Riffert 19
Arilda Riffert 16
Winnfield S. Riffert 13
Emma F. Riffert 11
John T. Riffert 9
Etta E. Riffert 4

But...thank you very much. Your info has helped me a great deal. At least I know that Israel and Toliver are not too close together. So, I'll tell my grandson that he and his fiance can get married! :-)

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 8:22PM GMT
Hello...could you please tell me if Marion's wife's name was Hattie Davis and if their son Charles Jobie Hughes ever lived in Ohio back in 1957? I show him married to a Mona Jean Nonamaker (born in Pontiac, Michigan). Is this Charles the same? And is he still living? Thanks-Deb
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions