Search for content in message boards

Latest on Merge Box Info Not Refreshing

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query

I called today to get the latest update on what ancestry is doing about the merge box not refreshing when selecting a different person in a house in a census, or selecting a suggested link to another census:

1) They are getting many calls and are aware of the problem and are working on it.

2) The problem is not occurring with all customers. The support person told me that the Merge box (in the lower right of the Web Search Web Space) is NOT locking up on him.

3) He said he has Explorer as default internet browser. He had me clean cookies and history for Explorer even though I use Chrome as my internet browser.

In the meantime, my research is almost at a standstill. I can't move to another person in 1850-1870 households without doing a separate search for each person in the house. I can't choose other censuses for a person without going back to the top "Search Results" for that person.

Maddening.

Re: Latest on Merge Box Info Not Refreshing

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:28AM GMT
I understand that a fix for this will be included in the next rollout update which I think goes out "tonight" USA (as I write this it is 723 pm in Provo) time. I would therefore expect it to be be fixed already, or will be within the next 12 hours or so.

I am not sure how long the rollout takes to be effective but as it is apparently on the Ancestry.com end, one would think immediate

I would check it tomorrow Thursday (USA) time

Pretty quick response from the Ancestry.com team :-)

John D
Melbourne, Australia

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:07AM GMT
This issue also occurs on FTM 2010.

Regards,

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:18AM GMT
It could well be the same problem as the merge in all the 20008 plus versions would rely on the same Ancestry merge code?

So with a bit of luck the fix, whatever it is at the Ancestry.com end, should address the issue in all versions, which may be one of the reasons why Ancestry.com jumped on it so quickly?

John D

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:41PM GMT
The problem is still there this morning 9:41 EST!

Feb 21 2013 Status

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:31PM GMT

Not working at 9:30 am, CST Thursday, 02/21/2013

Called yesterday afternoon:

1) She said no fix yet, but aware of it and working on it. The support person didn't have to call anyone to get the status, she already knew about it.

2) Told her the message boards haven't been indexed for 3 months.

This is absolutely maddening. I had a series of leads from the right panel taking me through all kinds of records (census, death, SSDI, WWI, etc) all the way from 1850 to 1940 with maybe 20 individuals (it was a small branch) in maybe 4 generations of a branch in my surname study and I can't merge any of them without a completely separate, new, search for each record and each person in that record. This is maddening.

Re: Feb 21 2013 Status

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:39AM GMT
Update - what update?

21Feb2013, 1937EST, and I have seen NO update.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 3:36AM GMT
Nope, still not... 1935 Pacific Time

Sometimes you wonder if support people will say anything to get you off the phone. They are usually timed on their calls.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 6:14AM GMT
Time to demand a refund?

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 4:44PM GMT
>>He had me clean cookies and history for Explorer even though I use Chrome as my internet browser.

Regardless of your default browser, in the Web Search tab of FTM2012 you ARE using Internet Explorer. That's hard-coded into FTM.

Are you by chance running Windows XP? WinXP is limited by Microsoft to IE8 and that has caused a lot of problems for FTM users.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions