Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 move to new computer

FTM 2012 move to new computer

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Must one back up and restore to move to a new computer? It is not possible to just MOVE the directory where all the stuff is stored? [not backups, they are somewhere else].

Re: FTM 2012 move to new computer

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:18AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 2:18AM GMT
I just move/copy the associated folders. Personally, I do not like what the full backup / restore does to my directories.

If your tree is synced, then you have to copy/move FTM's hidden files.

Regards,

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:18AM GMT
Ok, thanks. Where are the hidden files? I do sync.. In the same directory? or somewhere in the system.. As normal practice I always "show hidden files"...

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:20AM GMT
I would backup (include your media) and then restore on the new computer

Safest way and no hassles and also the way it has been designed

John D

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:41AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 3:41AM GMT
I'd do a search for the hidden files (used in the sync process). This has been discussed in the forum. The main reason I would copy folders and not the backup archive is that if you use additional folders for media, the restore process will not keep the original folder structures. If you do not use additional folders or have a few number of media items this may not be an issue. The files are located in Appdata...

regards,

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:58AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 4:00AM GMT
I just copied the My Documents, My Pictures, and My Music folders from my old computer (including all excel, word, photos and music, etc files) to an external drive and then copied the files to the new computer Documents, Pictures, and Music) folders.

I guess these hidden files must have been inside the My Documents folder because I haven't had any problems.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:11AM GMT
Found them. Thank you! The new computer won't be here until March 5. Lots of time to prepare.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:12PM GMT
OK, I just got off the phone with ancestry and they said that backup from one computer and restore to the other would break the sync. Huh??

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 7:18PM GMT
It shouldn't do if you make the backup and ensure you click the box to include the sync files. Install FTM 2012 before you copy the backup over to the new computer should do it and then do a restore.

Ancestry doesn't know what FTM is doing apparently.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:52PM GMT
Thank you very much. I ended up using the windows transfer to get files from old computer to new computer and remembered to check "app data."

I was afraid to use the other way even though it is the prescribed method since CS was so adamant that going to the new computer would break the link.

In any case, FTM is now happily installed on the new computer and is happily syncing.

Thank you all for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions