Search for content in message boards

Martin Schmitt, born 1859

Martin Schmitt, born 1859

Posted: 4 Jan 2002 9:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schmitt, Diny
I am looking for any information on a Martin Schmitt who was born June 25, 1859 in Washington County. I believe his birth to be in Osaukee. He eventually moved to Freedom in Outagamie County. Specifically I am looking for a birth certificate for info on his parents. (Primaril;y, what are their names?)

Any help on this would be excelsior!

Re: Martin Schmitt, born 1859

Posted: 5 Jan 2002 6:16PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2002 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Schmitt
I found a baptism for Martin Schmitt in the transcribed church records of Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Nenno, Washington County, WI. The chance of finding a birth certificate that old are slim.

Martin Schmitt
born June 25, 1859
baptized July 16, 1859
Parents: George and Margaretha (Wetterich) Schmitt
Sponsors: Martin Fechter and Maria Schmitt

I checked the rest of my transcribed church records for additional children, marriages, deaths, or cemetery listings. I did not find any for George or Margaretha. There appear to have been several other George Schmitt or Schmidt's in that area about the same time. These had other wives than Margaretha. Maria Schmitt might be a sister of your George Schmitt.

Good luck!

Posted: 6 Jan 2002 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: Schmitt, Smith
Janice - wow, thank you! I never expected to find a baptism record, and it seems I never would have because Nenno is not a place I would have thought of.
It is interesting because I was always under the impression that Martin's father was John or Peter (although I forget why).

Also, he had a brother (either Frank Joseph or Joseph Frank) and a sister Barbara who married a Smith and moved to Maywood, Illinois.

Assuming there are not 2 Martins born on the same day in that county, you've really made my whole year (so far...).

Thank you!

Posted: 7 Jan 2002 1:30PM GMT
Glad to help. If you haven't already, you might want to check the 1860 census for Nenno in Washington County to see if the family lived in that area. Ss. Peter and Paul is a country church and people sometimes traveled to a church where there would be a priest available for baptism. Some of the priests covered more than one church. Good luck.

Posted: 27 Feb 2002 4:20AM GMT
Janice, I just happened to stumble across your post and I've tried several times to e-mail the person listed on the WIGenWeb site who indicated they were willing to do look-ups for St Peter & Paul in Nenno. Since it seems you have access to these records, could you be so kind as to check for any of the following?

John Koll was born 1819 in Germany, died between 1860 and 1870.
His wife is Mary Magdalina Koll.

Any birth records for:
Nicholas Koll, born 1848
Peter Koll, born 1850
Margaretha (or Anna Margaretha) Koll born 1852
John Koll born 1854
Elisabeth Koll born 1856

Marriage for Margaretha between 1869 and 1872.

Koll Family

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 4:17AM GMT
I could not find anything in the transcribed church records of St. Peter & Paul in Nenno for these members of the Koll family. I also looked in the transcribed church records of St. Lawrence Church, where many of the counties early baptisms were performed. There are a number of entries of the Koll and Kohl families, but I do not see a John Koll married to a Margaretha. I purchased these church records from John Von Haden. See his excellent web site at www.washcowis.com John has the transcribed church records, as well as family group sheets based on church records for Washington County. I checked for the Koll and Kohl families and there are quite a few listed in the surname section. Maybe you can sort out the various families by looking at the information he has listed.

Re: Koll Family

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 4:47AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2003 5:11PM GMT
Thanks for looking. I'm buying the St Theresa book from them because I know John's brother went there, but John was closer to St Peter & Paul (about 2 miles) versus St Theresa. I'll find them someday!

St. Lawrence Church Records

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Kupfer
I am looking for a death record of Kunigunda (Wagner) Kupfer (before 1860) and her husband Michael Kupfer (after 1860). I believe they are buried at St. Lawrence Cemetery. Could you possibly help?
Thank you.
Tom Wagner
McHenry, IL

Re: St. Lawrence Church Records

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 5:47PM GMT
Tom,

You may be able to find information about your family at John Von Haden's site (www.wisconsinancestors.com) that covers Washington County, Wisconsin quite extensively. I did a quick search and found an entry for Michael and Cunigunda.

Good luck with your search.

Re: St. Lawrence Church Records

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 8:15AM GMT
I would suggest writing to the Archdiocese in Milwaukee for the record. I was fortunate enough to find the baptismal records from 1852 through them. The researcher does an excellent job!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions