Search for content in message boards

From the Lorraine to the Banat

From the Lorraine to the Banat

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 11:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chambre, Chambrey, Schambre
I believe my paternal grandfather's family came from Lorraine. The name is now Schambre but was spelled both Chambre and Chambrey. I believe they migrated to the Banat and settled in Wiesenhaid sometime in the mid-to-late 1700's but I cannot find the proof I need other than one marriage certificate for Nickolas Chambrey in 1755. Does anyone know where I might research actual records in Lorraine or nearby? I am going there in May of 2013 and will have a person who speaks/reads both French and German with me to help - I just need to know where to go to research. HELP!

Re: From the Lorraine to the Banat

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 3:53PM GMT
Nicolas Chambrey was born 1734 in Lorraine. Marriage in 1755. Emigration to the Banat in 1770 (8 persons).

Michael

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 11:14PM GMT
Thank you Michael!! This is the type of information I am searching for and it shook me up to see this information as i've looked so long. Could you share your source of this information with me? Is there some link I should go to to see the actual documents? If I could access the sources of the info you provided I'd be extremely grateful. Will also be posting other questions re: chambre/Chambrey on this board so hope I'll hear from you again :-)

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:52AM GMT
John: I, too, have ancestors who moved from Lorraine to the Banat in the 18th century. I believe the other person who replied to your question obtained the information from a large paperback book entitled "L'emigration des lorrains vers le Banat et la Batschka au 18'eme siecle 1750/1803" by Charles Amann. Your ancestor Nicolas Chambrey was born in 1734 in the town of Guebling and emigrated to the Banat to a town called Mercydorf. He married Marguerite Romignon in 1755.

I hope this helps you!

Michael Boehne

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 11:45PM GMT
Michael: Thank you so much for your help. I have actually contacted Charles Amann and he is in the process of helping me find someone to help me when I'm in Lorraine with my research and he has given me the address of an archive that supposedly has all the church records for Lorrain so I am hopeful I will find much more info to add to my records.

Happy Holidays!
John Schambre

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 9:16PM GMT
John:
You are welcome. In case I ever get to Lorraine myself, could you give me the address of the church archive you mentioned? Thank you!
Mike Boehne

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Chambre/Schambre
Mike: Certainly, here is the info I got from Mr. Amann in Lorraine for the best place to search church record archives:

Commune de Sarreguemines
Archives municipales
Didier Hemmert
10 rue du Parc, 57200 Sarreguemines
Tél. : 03.87.27.62.40
Télécopie : 03.87.27.62.48
Courriel : archiv-sarreguemines@orange.fr
Lu.-Ve. 8 h 30 à 12 h et 14 h à 17 h 30

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

John Schambre

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:30PM GMT
John:
Wow! Thank you so much.

Merry Christmas
Mike Boehne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions